Need opinions for a selective delayed schedule opinions for my 2 month old please :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good Morning Everyone

So, tomorrow I take my baby girl to her two month check up and on the immunization record schedule it lists HepB, Dtap,Hib,Ipv, Pcv7 and Rotavirus that will be due for her . I have been researching about the risks of vaccinating infants and children and I definitely have decided on not giving her the MMR vaccine.. but am still doing my research on the others.
Which of these are okay to give to a 2 month old? Anyone hear of any horrible side effects like the ones i hear about the mmr? What are the risks of her contacting any of these viruses if i dont vaccine? and what changes do i need to make to our lives if i choose to wait on any of her vaccines, such as her being held by people at church or playing with other babies, letting my grandmas dogs get close to her etc...
I dont want to go crazy with paranoia just because i chose to wait on her vaccinations or even go to an extent on not letting her have any vaccines at all but i do want to know which vaccines are the most important and what ages you would suggest waiting to give them to her at? She has already gotten her first hep b shot at birth ( they didnt even ask me if they could, they just did it but this time i want to be sure to make the right and best decisions for my baby)
Thanks so much for all the help!!!!
#2 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 PM

I sounds to me like you are not sure yet of what vaccines you want your baby to get. But you want advice on what to give her? Honestly, if I was going to rely on the medical advice of a stranger, I would rely on my doctor's, not just some people on the internet. What would be even better is if you could do the research and come up with a plan that you feel strongly about. Since your appt is tomorrow, maybe you can express your concerns with your doctor, and just tell him/her that you won't be vaccinating until you're sure of what you do want to get and don't want to get. That way you don't have to base your child's healthcare solely on the opinions of others.
#3 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 04:26 PM

Rotavirus, Pertussis, and invasive disease due to hib and penumoccocal bacterias are probably the ones that are most pressing for an infant-3 year old. You can attempt to "hide in the herd" with hib and PCV diseases as their numbers have dropped a lot due to vaccination, but both can be very risky if caught. hib in particular is troublesome, with high rates of death and long term health risks due to meningitis, epiglotitis, pneumonia, etc. Pneumoccocal diseases are more common that hib infection; there are many strains and the PCV 13 vaccine is recommended over the PCV 7 if you are looking for protection from the worst and most common strains.

Pertussis is definitely out there and can be caught both if vaccinated and if not; however, if you do become symptomatic and are vaccinated, the disease severity is definitely a lot less...think a week or so of a cold/cough vs weeks to a month or more of coughing spelling, of puking while coughing, pneumonia risks, etc.

The rotavirus vaccine is pretty effective and has drastically cut down the hospitalization rates due to the disease. It is another one that is quite common under the age of 5 (and many studies suggest we pretty much all get it with varying degrees of symptoms by the time we are 5). Breastfeeding is protective and helpful with symptoms, though the disease can still be serious to breastfed infants (I can show you some case studies if you want but I think you get the idea). It's a risk/benefit decision you have to make when it comes to vaccines. this vaccine can cause mild rota-like symptoms.

MMR is not given to infants, so really that one doesn't come into the picture until a year or later. It's more effective if given later anyway (15-18 months, for example, gives better immunity than 12 months).

IPV is one you won't really have risk for in the USA. Other parts of the world, such as russia, have seen the disease reintroduced through travel but so far the USA has not run into this.

Hep B is spread by bodily fluid contact with an infected person. rarely it can be spread by biting and even spit (some recorded cases of spit in the eye transmission). but unless you have a positive family member or your children will spend a lot of time in care outside the home, the risks are really really low (and even with day care it is still low though transmission for kids in that situation is slightly higher than at home).

I believe, the bottom line, is that you do have a higher risk of most VPDs if you do not vaccinate but you have to make the risk/ benefit analysis on your own and go from there.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#4 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
I sounds to me like you are not sure yet of what vaccines you want your baby to get. But you want advice on what to give her? Honestly, if I was going to rely on the medical advice of a stranger, I would rely on my doctor's, not just some people on the internet. What would be even better is if you could do the research and come up with a plan that you feel strongly about. Since your appt is tomorrow, maybe you can express your concerns with your doctor, and just tell him/her that you won't be vaccinating until you're sure of what you do want to get and don't want to get. That way you don't have to base your child's healthcare solely on the opinions of others.
Agreed.

'09   
#5 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 08:46 PM

At our 2 month appointment we did Dtap, because Ive seen an infant w/ whooping cough and it scared me. We delayed everything else. If I were you, I tell the doc that you want to do more research and you want to delay shots.

Actually, I would probably not go, do some research, and reschedule. Good luck!

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#6 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 10:17 PM

I would do EITHER hib OR dtap. I believe they are both good ones to get to protect a tiny infant. I would only do ONE at a time though so you can know for sure which if one of them gave a bad reaction which one it was. For example, we did the prevnar one (one dose) and ds got a very high fever and was lethargic for a while afterwards...we decided to discontinue that vax and our dr. was totally on board.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#7 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 11:37 AM

Im interested to know what you did thid morning.

Holly and David partners.gif

Adaline love.gif (3/20/10), and Charlie brokenheart.gif (1/26/12- 4/10/12) and our identical  rainbow1284.gif  twins Callie and Wendy (01/04/13)

SIDS happens. 

#8 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergirl67 View Post
The reason i turned to the internet is because most doctors brush off the risks or are not educated in the harm some vaccines can do to young children or babies. I rather ask other mothers who will give me an honest opinion rather than what the government or med school has drilled into them. Most doctors are not into any natural either which is why I also get advice about natural remedies before I get any other type of medicine for my baby or myself.
#9 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaline'sMama View Post
Im interested to know what you did thid morning.
Thank you for all of the replies, I really just wanted suggestions and experiences, not an exact schedule that i would follow to the T for my child.
But I have not gone yet and I have decided to not have her get any vaccinations until she is 4 months old and do more research from there, and not give them all to her at once. Just th ultmately necessary ones. She rarely ever leaves the house besides to grandmas or church. But at the end of november we will be headed to nevada to visit family so I want to have her vaccinated for some stuff before then.. just not sure which.
#10 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
subbing to come back later and read

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#11 of 11 Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If there's a place you can get them done outside of a doctors office (county clinic or something) you can get half done at the doctors and another half done in between appointments.

For example:
DTaP & Rotavirus @ 4 months
Pnemococcal & Hib @ 5 months (at clinic)

This Mommy and Military Daddy are loving their son.
DS born Dec 2010 Pregnant with #2, having another !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page