Vaxing 1st time in older (9yo) child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never really had anything against vaccines...or, the idea of them. Just, I have a LOT against dumping all that into a tiny baby body. Especially with all the additives.

Now that my boy is close to 10yo, I am thinking of vaxing him, only...how? I still don't want a ton of things in his body all at once. He has a pretty strong constitution, but I would prefer to delay/separate what I can, in case he still does react somehow.

Is there any info out there about how to do this? What ones, and in what order? I still have to have chix pox titers drawn because he's been exposed 4x and has not caught them, unless it was so mild we couldn't tell.

But aside from that. I saw there was a delayed vax schedule for older kids on the CDC site but I can't make heads or tails of it. Am I just stOOpid or does it make sense to anyone else?

Any advice or help?
TIA

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#2 of 6 Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 AM

What I would do ( we delay an skip some)

DTaP, MMR and Hep B. We will do the HepB more toward the teen years.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#3 of 6 Old 09-22-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, but except for pox I think I'll probably do most all of them...I think. It's a school issue, too, though. Here in NC it's easy to claim exemption, and it's very popular to do so in my town, but when we end up moving up north I think it will be harder.
I'd like to get it all out of the way now, since they're free at the health center. I just don't know what order to do them in, or which ones first/second/third, etc., and which I can skip because he's so old now.

TIA

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#4 of 6 Old 09-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Hey Maia--you said you did a vaccine thread, so I wanted to see what was up.

Just so you know, nonvaccination requires a religious exemption where I live, and it was ridiculously easy. No questions asked! I will be happy to help you with that, should you need it.

But if you do want to start vaccinating your son now, that is of course your choice. However, partial vaccination doesn't count--there are no philosophical exemptions.

Come ponder with me about food!
#5 of 6 Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM

Looks like you need DTaP, MMR Polio and HepB

I would put a few months between each shot. "I" would be ok with doing DTaP and Polio together and MMR w/ hepB

(a) Every individual in North Carolina required to be immunized pursuant to G.S. 130A-152 through 130A-157 shall be immunized against the following diseases by receiving the specified minimum doses of vaccines by the specified ages:

(1) Diphtheria, tetanus, and whooping cough vaccine - five doses: three doses by age seven months and two booster doses, one by age 19 months and the second on or after the fourth birthday and before enrolling in school for the first time. However:

(A) Individuals who receive the first booster dose of diphtheria, tetanus, and whooping cough vaccine on or after the fourth birthday are not required to have a second booster dose;

(B) Individuals attending colleges and universities are required to have three doses of tetanus/diphtheria toxoid, one of which must have been within the last 10 years. Those individuals enrolling in college or university for the first time on or after July 1, 2008 must have had three doses of tetanus/diphtheria toxoid and a booster dose of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine if a tetanus/diphtheria toxoid or tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine has not been administered within the past 10 years. A dose of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine is not required for any student over the age of 64 years;

(C) A booster dose of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine is required for individuals attending public school who are entering the sixth grade on or after August 1, 2008, if five years or more have passed since the last dose of tetanus/diphtheria toxoid. A booster dose of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine is required for individuals not attending public schools who are 12 years of age on or after August 1, 2008, if five years or more have passed since the last dose of tetanus/diphtheria toxoid. However, pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine is not required for individuals between 7 years of age through the fifth grade for those attending public schools and 7 through 12 years of age for those not attending public school.

(2) Poliomyelitis vaccine--four doses: two doses of trivalent type by age five months; a third dose trivalent type before age 19 months, and a booster dose of trivalent type before enrolling in school for the first time. However:

(A) An individual attending school who has attained his or her 18th birthday is not required to receive polio vaccine;

(B) Individuals who receive the third dose of poliomyelitis vaccine on or after the fourth birthday are not required to receive a fourth dose;

(C) The requirements for booster doses of poliomyelitis vaccine do not apply to individuals who enrolled for the first time in the first grade before July 1, 1987.

(3) Measles (rubeola) vaccine--two doses of live, attenuated vaccine administered at least 28 days apart: one dose on or after age 12 months and before age 16 months and a second dose before enrolling in school for the first time. However:

(A) An individual who has been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against measles is not required to receive measles vaccine;

(B) An individual who has been diagnosed prior to January 1, 1994, by a physician licensed to practice medicine as having measles (rubeola) disease is not required to receive measles vaccine;

(C) An individual born prior to 1957 is not required to receive measles vaccine;

(D) The requirement for a second dose of measles vaccine does not apply to individuals who enroll in school or in college or university for the first time before July 1, 1994.

(4) Rubella vaccine--one dose of live, attenuated vaccine on or after age 12 months and before age 16 months. However:

(A) An individual who has been documented by serologic testing to have a protective antibody titer against rubella is not required to receive rubella vaccine;

(B) An individual who has attained his or her fiftieth birthday is not required to receive rubella vaccine except in outbreak situations;

(C) An individual who entered a college or university after his or her thirtieth birthday and before February 1, 1989 is not required to meet the requirement for rubella except in outbreak situations.

(5) Mumps vaccine--one dose of live, attenuated vaccine administered on or after age 12 months and before age 16 months and a second dose before enrolling in school, college or university for the first time. However:

(A) An individual born prior to 1957 is not required to receive mumps vaccine;

(B) The requirements for mumps vaccine do not apply to individuals who enrolled for the first time in the first grade before July 1, 1987 or in college or university before July 1, 1994;

(C) An individual who has been documented by serological testing to have a protective antibody titer against mumps is not required to receive mumps vaccine;

(D) An individual entering school, college, or university prior to July 1, 2008 is not required to receive a second dose of mumps vaccine.

(6) Haemophilus influenzae, b, conjugate vaccine--three doses of HbOC or PRP-T or two doses of PRP-OMP before age seven months and a booster dose of any type on or after age 12 months and by age 16 months. However:

(A) Individuals born before October 1, 1988 are not required to be vaccinated against Haemophilus influenzae, b;

(B) Individuals who receive the first dose of Haemophilus influenzae, b, vaccine on or after 12 months of age and before 15 months of age are required to have only two doses of HbOC, PRP-T or PRP-OMP;

(C) Individuals who receive the first dose of Haemophilus influenzae, b, vaccine on or after 15 months of age are required to have only one dose of any of the Haemophilus influenzae conjugate vaccines, including PRP-D.

(D) No individual who has passed their fifth birthday is required to be vaccinated against Haemophilus influenzae, b.

(7) Hepatitis B vaccine--three doses: one dose by age three months, a second dose before age five months and a third dose by age 19 months.

(A) The last dose of hepatitis B vaccine series shall not be administered prior to 24 weeks of age;

(B) Individuals born before July 1, 1994 are not required to be vaccinated against hepatitis B.

(8) Varicella vaccine--1 dose administered on or after age 12 months and before age 19 months. However:

(A) An individual with a laboratory test indicating immunity or with a history of varicella disease, documented by a health care provider, parent, guardian or person in loco parentis is not required to receive varicella vaccine. Serologic proof of immunity or documentation of previous illness must be presented whenever a certificate of immunization is required by North Carolina General Statute. The documentation shall include the name of the individual with a history of varicella disease and the approximate date or age of infection. Previous illness shall be documented by:

(i) a written statement from a health care provider documented on or attached to the lifetime immunization card or certificate of immunization; or

(ii) a written statement from the individual's parent, guardian or person in loco parentis attached to the lifetime immunization card or certificate of immunization.

(B) An individual born prior to April 1, 2001 is not required to receive varicella vaccine.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#6 of 6 Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, how confusing! YAY he doesn't need the pox vax, though, then. Or pertussis, looks like.

I don't care about what he needs for NC, but we'll be moving up north at some point. I know MA is as easy as here, or I think it is, but like I said, it's time to vax him soon, IMO, and moving is just as good a reason as any

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page