Considering dtap - Help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 unvaxed children ages 4 (almost 5), 3, and 18 months. I've considered Tetanus over the years but haven't yet vaccinated. Also, I've been reading lately about all the Pertussis outbreaks (we had a large outbreak in my city last year) and this has me thinking that we just might go ahead and vaccinate for dtap.

I guess I would just like some thoughts on this? How many doses would they need to catch up? Is there a particular brand that's safer than another? Is there anyone that only gets the dtap vax?

I've been on the fence about this for so long now and knowing about all the outbreaks of pertussis just has me thinking a little more seriously this time. Thanks for any help you all can give!
#2 of 5 Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I just called my Ped. and they use the brand "Sanofi" if that helps at all. Thanks!
#3 of 5 Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
HRJ

I am right.there.with.you. DS is 5 1/2 and unvaxxed. I'm PG and due in March - scared about these outbreaks. Unfortunately, there are 4 children w/ autism on DHs side of the family, DS used to body slam himself if he ate casein, and I have multiple autoimmune issues, so DH still doesn't want to get the vaccine.

I am just lost.

But I have done a lot of research! Sanofi makes three different ones: Deptacel, Tripedia, and TriHIBit (has Hib in it too). Both the Tripedia and TriHIBit have thimerosal listed as an ingredient that was added and washed out - leaving trace amounts. The Deptacel is completely mercury free. Deptacel is the one my ped uses - she feels it is the most effective and she says that if she's going to inject aluminum in the kids, by golly it better be a good vaccine.

The effective rate for it is 77-80%. Also, I had one dr say that one jab might be enough for my 5 yr old. But both Dr Sears, the CDC, and my dr say, nope - 3 shots no matter what.

Deptacel is also what Dr Sears uses.

The thing I am finding here on the boards though is that if you are under a religous exemption for school and get 1 vax, your exemption will be denied.

I am trying to mull that over - as well as all the autism in our family.
#4 of 5 Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRJ View Post

The thing I am finding here on the boards though is that if you are under a religous exemption for school and get 1 vax, your exemption will be denied.
That may be the case in some states, but here in Oregon you can indicate which vaccines you refuse for religious reasons, and which ones you've given your child. This seems relatively new, but it made me feel less deceptive because we selectively vaccinate.

My eldest has had the DTAP and my youngest will get it this year. HRJ- I feel for you in your situation. I wish they'd break them up so we could do one at a time and choose which ones we felt they needed.

Used to be stay at home parent to our two lovely girls, survived nursing school with family intact, about to graduate and looking for a job! I low-supply nursed my bio daughter for 3 years. 

#5 of 5 Old 09-21-2010, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRJ View Post
I am right.there.with.you. DS is 5 1/2 and unvaxxed. I'm PG and due in March - scared about these outbreaks. Unfortunately, there are 4 children w/ autism on DHs side of the family, DS used to body slam himself if he ate casein, and I have multiple autoimmune issues, so DH still doesn't want to get the vaccine.

I am just lost.

But I have done a lot of research! Sanofi makes three different ones: Deptacel, Tripedia, and TriHIBit (has Hib in it too). Both the Tripedia and TriHIBit have thimerosal listed as an ingredient that was added and washed out - leaving trace amounts. The Deptacel is completely mercury free. Deptacel is the one my ped uses - she feels it is the most effective and she says that if she's going to inject aluminum in the kids, by golly it better be a good vaccine.

The effective rate for it is 77-80%. Also, I had one dr say that one jab might be enough for my 5 yr old. But both Dr Sears, the CDC, and my dr say, nope - 3 shots no matter what.

Deptacel is also what Dr Sears uses.

I am trying to mull that over - as well as all the autism in our family.
Thanks for you reply! And I have *3* unvaxed children, not 2!
See, I also have two teenagers who were fully vaxed through Kindergarten and they appear to have done fine with them. There is no history of any allergies, or autism on either side of our family and we can choose not to vax for philisophical reasons, not just religious reasons. I had a newborn last year through the outbreak and I breastfed him so I really wasn't too concerned about it and we got through that year just fine.

Just thinking out loud.

Honestly, part of my hesitation is that they're completely vax free and I almost feel like if I give them this vax, I'll be "contaminating" them. That's not a very reasonable thought because I'm really just wanting to do the right thing and keep them safe and healthy, but that nagging question of which is safer is continually in my mind.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page