My kid fell into a rose bush...trying not to worry. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We were at the botanical garden and my 18 month old tripped and landed on a low rose bush. One thorn went into his upper arm. There is a drop of blood. I disinfected it.

He has had 2 dTaps, one at 5 months and one at 9.5...

Do you guys have any idea how much tetanus protection 2 doses provide? Trying not to worry...

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 02:09 PM

He won't get tetanus from a plant. You have to get that from things like rusty nails. He'll be fine

HTH.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#3 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 02:12 PM

i am not a doctor, nurse or anything like that, but i truly don't believe falling into a rosebush would give any reason to worry about tetanus. a deep puncture wound on someone with very bad blood circulation, from something that can be infected with animal feces, is a danger for tetanus, from my research.

Artie, mom to Riley 3/22/08 and a surprise due Oct 2011!
#4 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
He won't get tetanus from a plant. You have to get that from things like rusty nails. He'll be fine

HTH.
Well, yes and no. The rusty nail thing comes from the olden days when rusty nails in the ground came out if horse hooves and had manure in them (tetanus grows in animal guts and comes out in the poop). You can't get tetanus from rust itself. Gardeners, however, are warned to update their tetanus vaxes because rose thorns can have infected earth and manure on them. That's why I am trying to find info on the effectiveness of two doses of dtap, but of course all the stats are for three and up. *sigh*

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#5 of 10 Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toposlonoshlep View Post
Gardeners, however, are warned to update their tetanus vaxes because rose thorns can have infected earth and manure on them.
Oh...well, who knew. Thanks for enlightening! I didn't even think of that.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh...well, who knew. Thanks for enlightening! I didn't even think of that.
LOL. Well, I have done my worried mama research and you're welcome. Also, I have found a study (done with Argentinian kids) that showed 100% immunity for tetanus from 2 doses. It is the Pertussis that is iffy with 2 doses, but the tetanus is taken care of with two. Hope that helps someone else out there with only a couple dTaps.

#7 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toposlonoshlep View Post
Also, I have found a study (done with Argentinian kids) that showed 100% immunity for tetanus from 2 doses. It is the Pertussis that is iffy with 2 doses, but the tetanus is taken care of with two. Hope that helps someone else out there with only a couple dTaps.
Oh, really? That would be us

DS had two dT (not dTap) when he was like...hmm, 9mo old or so? And then he had a reaction and whoomp, there it is, end of vax's for us.

Got link?

#8 of 10 Old 09-27-2010, 07:56 PM

I wouldn't worry about it myself, but you *could* always talk to your pediatrician and ask if s/he thinks TIG would be a good idea.
#9 of 10 Old 09-30-2010, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, really? That would be us

DS had two dT (not dTap) when he was like...hmm, 9mo old or so? And then he had a reaction and whoomp, there it is, end of vax's for us.

Got link?
Had to dig for it. Here you go:
http://www.springerlink.com/content/u8463607r743gu85/

#10 of 10 Old 09-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Chances are at a botanic garden any manure they use would be well composted, and maybe even heat sterilized, making the chance of infection lower than if you were in the wild where raw manure might be on the thorns. So that combined with the couple shots he's had should mean you're safe.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page