15-18 month DTaP decision - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-29-2010, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I did my research on vaccines, I was most concerned about Pertussis for babies and Tetanus for older children. Since I can't get those vaxes separately, I gave my daughter 3 DTaP's at 2,4 and 6 months to help reduce the symptoms should she be exposed to Pertussis since that's pretty common.

I think she is old enough and since she is still BF and had those 3 vaxes, I don't think Pertussis would be so serious for her at this point. I'm also not that concerned about Tetanus until she's 4 or 5, so I'm not sure the 15-18 month booster is that important.

My question is, if I don't give her this vax, if I want to vax her against Tetanus at age 4 or 5, will I need to give her more than 1, or will I be able to just vax her at 4 or 5 and than wait until 14 or 15, just like it would be if I had given her the vax? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 10-05-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
JMJ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In case anyone had my same question, I found out that if the 4th dose is after 4 years, you don't "need" another one for 10 years according to the recommendations. Our pediatrician looked it up for us. I had been hoping to get the information on our own and have a decision before we went in to avoid the horror stories told to indecisive parents, but she limited it to 2 horror stories (1 tetanus, 1 pertussis), looked up the information for us, and let us make our decision. We decided to wait and skip this one.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page