Why NOT get the flu shot? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-30-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just wondering whether there are reasons other than thimerosal that people don't give their LOs flu shots? My ped has the brand without it, and I really don't feel like dealing with the flu this winter...

For those with older kiddos, has your LO ha the flu before 2yo? My son is 18 months. Would the flu be THAT tough for him? I don't want to mess with his awesome immune system. Oh yeah, and he still nurses on demand. So that should save us in the event that he gets it, right?

buddamomimg1.pngWriter/Designer/Hip Hippie Russian Mama to Torngtongue.gif (3yo) and Kboc.gif(4mo)

#2 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 01:37 AM

I'll be really interested in any other replies. For me, there is a lot a question about the efficacy of the flu shot (for instance which strain you might be exposed to) and that makes the risks seem unacceptable.

I believe a major risk is the possiblity of an allergic reaction. Also many less worrisome, but very uncomfortable, reactions are very common. In addition, I believe that my healthy little lady could withstand the flu were she to get it. I do worry about illness, however, especially since DP is babysitting another toddler who is also coughing in DD's face and giving her big wet kisses. And last year I worked in an ICU with four healthy people fighting for the lives because of the flu. One 40 year old woman didn't make it. Seeing as how I was in such close contact with these people and because of all the reports that children were at extreme risk, I did labor over my decision. I know that the vaccine is usually well tolerated and so selectively vaccinating is something I struggle with at times. Even weighing the available evidence carefully, this is a case where I decided follow my instincts.

In terms of breastfeeding, it certainly is good for the immune system. If your little one does still catch the flu, I don't know that it will "save" you. Maybe is will shorten the duration and decrease the severity due to a healthy immune system, or maybe not.

Last year's H1N1, in particular, based on media reports and my experience caring for flu patients in a small community hospital, seems to have hit some very healthy people the hardest.

E.

DD 5/09 and a new little one 4/11
#3 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
nvm.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Because they don't work and the potential side effects are worse than when most healthy people get the flu.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/coc...269/frame.html

http://drtenpenny.com/the_truth_about_the_flu_Shot.aspx

Getting a shot year after year that contains a heavy metal is not something I'm interested in. I'd rather get the flu than early-onset Alzheimer's.

Vitamin D is more effective at fighting the flu than the vaccine:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...thousands.aspx

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 02:24 AM

Because every SINGLE YEAR they come out with the vaccine for THE flu, and guess what? A few months later they say Ohhhh it didn't WORK.

So no. I'm not interested in being your lab rat for a vax that isn't effective in the first place.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#6 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 02:33 AM

Because you will probably still have to "deal" with the flu even if you get the flu shot. It doesn't always work, sometimes it makes you sick when you get it, and there are lots of flu's and colds out there that it doesn't cover.

Self employed 37 year old lady.gifMother of one 4 year old super herosuperhero.gifand wife to a lovely DH malesling.GIF who is my hero. Its been a long run but I am pregnant with #21sttri.gif due 10/10/14. goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.gifHere we go again....
#7 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 09:48 AM

I do not get flu shots under the age of two for sure because they have been proven ineffective in that age group. We have decided to cocoon younger kids by getting the vaccines ourselves. I prefer the mist because it is more effective- a lot more effective when it comes to older kids.

I would look into getting it for yourself and other children, not for an 18 month old just because there is more effect in preventing the flu in yourself and others in the household since the vaccine is ineffective for under 2s.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/coc...879/frame.html
Quote:
The review authors found that in children aged from two years, nasal spray vaccines made from weakened influenza viruses were better at preventing illness caused by the influenza virus (82% of illnesses were prevented) than injected vaccines made from the killed virus (59%). Neither type was particularly good at preventing 'flu-like illness' caused by other types of viruses (33% and 36% respectively). In children under the age of two, the efficacy of inactivated vaccine was similar to placebo.

No flu vaccine is completely effective because you are only going to prevent a percentage of flu cases with them given that there are only three strains. We have decided to go for that protection but not where it is proven futile.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#8 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#9 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 10:05 AM

We had the swine flu last summer. It wasn't pretty. I lost 12-14 pounds in 3 days. Awful.

My daughter and I have also had reactions (mine fairly severe) to DTaP.

I just don't know enough about it to feel comfortable saying yes we'll get it and DH outright says no we're not guinea pigs.

Liz

Wife, and mother to a small fairy, a demolition expert, a special new someone this fall and a small dachshund.
#10 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toposlonoshlep View Post
I am just wondering whether there are reasons other than thimerosal that people don't give their LOs flu shots? My ped has the brand without it, and I really don't feel like dealing with the flu this winter...

For those with older kiddos, has your LO ha the flu before 2yo? My son is 18 months. Would the flu be THAT tough for him? I don't want to mess with his awesome immune system. Oh yeah, and he still nurses on demand. So that should save us in the event that he gets it, right?

You seem to have negated your own worry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
Because they don't work and the potential side effects are worse than when most healthy people get the flu.

Getting a shot year after year that contains a heavy metal is not something I'm interested in. I'd rather get the flu than early-onset Alzheimer's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
Because every SINGLE YEAR they come out with the vaccine for THE flu, and guess what? A few months later they say Ohhhh it didn't WORK.

So no. I'm not interested in being your lab rat for a vax that isn't effective in the first place.
And ^ those are several of the other reasons as well =)

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#11 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 AM

I struggled horribly w/the flu last year-I am allergic to the preservative and couldn't get the preservative free one in time. My kids were vaxed because one of them is very high risk. They have not ever had a problem w/the vaccine. I wouldn't do it, except that flu in a high risk child is very serious-we've been down that road, and it was terrifying. Anyway, I was laid low for quite a while, not able to care for my kids, and barely myself for a while. I really hope I don't go through that again. It's very frightening to be that sick.
#12 of 16 Old 10-01-2010, 10:31 AM

I delay and even before I delayed vaccines ( with my oldest 2) we never did flu shots. They have a bad track record of "missing" the flu ( 3-4 types in each shot) and many times if its "close" the virus has mutated. There is studies done its not effective under age2 and I come from a family of nurses who are very against them for the amount of reactions they have seen. 3 ER nurses and none have contracted the flu and have taken care of MANY people with it.

We prefer heathey eating, extra Vit C & D3 and lots of handwashing.

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#13 of 16 Old 10-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 16 Old 10-04-2010, 05:16 PM

A few years ago my entire family came down with the flu, with the exception of my 8 month old dd who was ebf at the time.

There is much info out there about the effectiveness of adequate vitamin D levels, using sodium ascobate to treat illness, and the use of elderberry to boost the immune system to ward off the flu. There really isn't much on the effectiveness of the flu vax, in fact there is much evidence to show that it is pretty ineffective, particularly for those under two years and the elderly.
#15 of 16 Old 11-13-2010, 11:52 AM

are family practice doc told us the only reson to get the flu shot would be  if we spent time around someone at risk for a serious case . I'm 23 and my son is 6 months she said we both are OK with just immune system boasting( gave us a list )  and hand washing . are doc is Not Anti VAX but pro informed consent.  I made the chocie to not get a flu shot during my prenacy last time becuse I have a hisory of nasty reaction to VAX  ( dtap )and didnt want that risk well pregnate I think if it wasnt for that I would have done the thermsol free H1N1 shot just beucse the high risk for pregnate women .

Ive always gotten really sick after getting vaxed so if just didnt seemd worth it to aviod the flu

#16 of 16 Old 11-15-2010, 11:11 AM

my family doesn't get the flu shot.  i know the flu comes down hard on some people but ... i can't see how a shot that might prevent some strains of the flu is of any real benefit.  no one honestly knows what to put in the vaccine, they can't say for sure that by getting the shot you won't get the flu, and there are risks from getting the needle.

we chose not to.  instead we try to eat well and pay extra attention to cleanliness & handwashing during flu season.  we don't regularly take vit.D, but since we have limited sunshine here we should probably pick some up for the winter months.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page