Want to go selective but live in VA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first baby, a boy, is due in December, and I've been reading a little about vaccines. My general opinion of them based on the research I've done so far is that I really don't want to give my baby 98% of them. At this point (I still have a lot of reading left to do), I believe I would delay the meningitis vaccine and possibly the tetanus...I know I wouldn't give him the chicken pox vaccine, and lo and behold, I researched the immunization laws here (I live in the DC area on the VA side) and the chicken pox vaccine is required! I actually would prefer my child to get the chicken pox, get it over with, and be immunized for life, which is what happened to me as a kid and I was fine. They also require several doses (I believe minimum 3) of diptheria, HepB, Hib, pneumococcal, pertussis (Im not sure of my opinion on this one yet), HPV in girls, MMR, and I'm sure I'm leaving something else out.

The only exemptions they allow for are religious and medical. I'm wondering where I can find out if I can opt out of a vax registry (if that is an option in VA)? Since I don't want most of these vaccines, but plan on giving a few (via delaying for as long as I feel is safe and appropriate), I'm not sure how successful an attempt at a religious exemption would be. I am interested in a pediatrician who is open to opting out of vaccines, but given how advanced I am looking into it, I haven't spoken to him yet and won't until mid-November.

I really don't want to feel forced to give my child vaccines that I don't believe are necessary and may be potentially harmful. At the same time, I don't want my kid to be isolated or denied from participating in preschools/public schools, etc. and I want to know how to get around the system now so I can plan ahead. Homeschooling is not an option for us as I will be going back to work full-time probably when he is around 8 months. At the same time, I'm not sure if I'll be looking into daycare and may just hire a part-time nanny and have my mom watch him 2 days a week if she's up for it.
#2 of 15 Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 PM

Info on opting out of Virginia's vaccine database

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiol...ticipateinVIIS
#3 of 15 Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 PM

You won't have a problem in VA. once you claim the religious exemption, the VA constitution forbids anyone from asking you about your religious beliefs. Know your rights and be prepared to answer any questions with, "I know my rights, and VA law guarantees my privacy in this religious matter." Selective vax works, because your religion may simply allow you to vaccinate with vaccines you believe are safe and not with those you believe are dangerous to your child. In other words, your religious beliefs pertain to keeping your child safe and whole, they don't have to be for or against the general practice of vaccination in order to exclude certain vaccines. Its immaterial though, since they can't ask the question.
#4 of 15 Old 10-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
You won't have a problem in VA. once you claim the religious exemption, the VA constitution forbids anyone from asking you about your religious beliefs. Know your rights and be prepared to answer any questions with, "I know my rights, and VA law guarantees my privacy in this religious matter." Selective vax works, because your religion may simply allow you to vaccinate with vaccines you believe are safe and not with those you believe are dangerous to your child. In other words, your religious beliefs pertain to keeping your child safe and whole, they don't have to be for or against the general practice of vaccination in order to exclude certain vaccines. Its immaterial though, since they can't ask the question.
I'm not so sure of this. We have an exemption form we fill out & have notarized:
http://www.vdh.state.va.us/epidemiol...ents/cre_1.pdf

And the first line states:

Quote:
The administration of immunizing agents conflicts with the above named student's/my religious tenets or practices.
If I'm to understand the wording, it's the act of vaccinating that is in conflict w/ the religious tenets, which is contrary to what you say.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 10:06 AM

This opt out is not an opt out. You are still in the database!

• “Opt-out” feature:
•This feature allows parents to keep from having their child’s immunization records shared with other VIIS providers. It flags the record so that only his/her provider is able to view and update the child’s records, allowing only his/her provider to ensure that your child is being immunized with the correct vaccines and in a timely fashion.
•Your provider will still be able to notify you of when your child is due for an immunization(s).
•You may contact your provider if you want your child to opt-out of VIIS

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#6 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 10:11 AM

the op can still vaccinate on her own schedule and privately, and then file a religious exemption when she's done. its very unlikely anyone would press the issue after being reminded that the state cannot question a religious belief, especially if one opts out of the registry. I have several real-life friends who partially vaccinate in VA and none have ever had their exemption questioned.
#7 of 15 Old 10-07-2010, 12:36 PM

I understand that the state cannot question a religious belief and that a person can change their religious belief at any point, the exemption doesn't become important until school age, when your child enters kindie. What happens after the exemption is filed and your child needs boosters? Vaxes don't stop at age 5. Sure, you can vaccinate privately and opt out of the registry and HOPE that your dr is willing to go along w/ not sharing your child's vax record w/ the school when you do your school physical, but that's a lot to hope for and coordinate, AND it's hard enough finding a dr who is no-vax/ selective vax friendly, I can't imagine how hard it is to find a dr who is willing to not fill out the vax info for school physicals.

And just b/c you know people in real life who are doing it and who are fine now, doesn't mean they won't at any time have their exemptions questioned b/c of selectively vaxing. It's a fine line to be walking, and a risk you take, b/c if you vax after filing your exemption and it is discovered, you can be compelled to bring your child's vaxes up to date w/ out any form of recourse.

And again, the exemption you sign is against the "practice of vaccinating", NOT against individual vaxes.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

#8 of 15 Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, ok I'm getting lots of different opinions here.

I guess my thought is- what if I give my son the vaccinations I want to give (Hib, for instance) but give them to him delayed (let's say somewhere between the ages of 2 and 5), and then file the exemption before he enrolls in school so that he can still be accepted without issue? As far as what he will be required to get AFTER that point, wouldn't that all fall under the exemption? At least that would get him through elementary school without issue.

Except for boosters- I don't really have an informed opinion yet on boosters, and honestly my opinion on this whole vaccination thing is newly formed, and I need to do a LOT more research, but since a ton of vaccines are given within the first month or 2 of a baby's life, I'm trying to get some of this stuff figured out now.

I do have a pediatrician in the area that is open to no-vax and selective vax. I've already contacted him and plan to set up an appointment with him next month. I will be asking him a ton of the questions that have been brought up here, about opting out of the registry, etc. and about boosters and vaxing AFTER the exemption and how willing he would be to help us out with that should we choose to do so.

For how long would a religious exemption need to follow my son (I would think through college)? I ask because again, there are vaccines that I imagine I would consider giving him as a teenager/adult that I wouldn't want to give him in youth...but then we go back to the issue of vaxing after the exemption, and if that were found out, would it cause problems... if I were mandated to give him ALL the vaccines required, I would honestly rather do it when he's older than younger, not that I would want to be forced to give certain vaccines if I didn't want to. Oh...the headache
#9 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
I understand that the state cannot question a religious belief and that a person can change their religious belief at any point, the exemption doesn't become important until school age, when your child enters kindie. What happens after the exemption is filed and your child needs boosters? Vaxes don't stop at age 5. Sure, you can vaccinate privately and opt out of the registry and HOPE that your dr is willing to go along w/ not sharing your child's vax record w/ the school when you do your school physical, but that's a lot to hope for and coordinate, AND it's hard enough finding a dr who is no-vax/ selective vax friendly, I can't imagine how hard it is to find a dr who is willing to not fill out the vax info for school physicals.

And just b/c you know people in real life who are doing it and who are fine now, doesn't mean they won't at any time have their exemptions questioned b/c of selectively vaxing. It's a fine line to be walking, and a risk you take, b/c if you vax after filing your exemption and it is discovered, you can be compelled to bring your child's vaxes up to date w/ out any form of recourse.

And again, the exemption you sign is against the "practice of vaccinating", NOT against individual vaxes.

Are you suggesting the op just go ahead and follow the CDC schedule then? There are difficulties in every state - even those with philosophical exemptions. A flu epidemic is declared every year - at any time any state health commissioner could keep all those not vaxed for influenza out of school for the entire season. If it came to that, I'd deal with it then, but I'm not going to vax my child with a worthless shot because there 'might' be a problem at some point.
the religious exemption is available in VA, and the religion can't be questioned. I'm sure the op is smart enough to figure out how to make the best of it.
#10 of 15 Old 10-21-2010, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I live in VA. I vaxed DS1 (except the initial Hep B, which we delayed), until he was 3, when I wised up and did some research and decided to stop vaccinating altogether. Now DS2 was born in June, and hasn't received a single vax, and probably won't until... well, I don't know if we'll decide to give him something at some point in the future. Fortunately for us, we're homeschooling and not worrying about exemptions and such at this point, but DS1 was in preschool for a while, and I had my religious exemption ready in case they asked for an updated physical w/ vaccines (which they didn't- guess they forgot, yay!).

Here's the thing- they can't FORCE you to give your child anything. You can claim religious exemption, and if you then have a weak moment and allow a Dr. to give your kid a vaccine or booster, that doesn't change your religion. I have committed quite a few sins in my time, but I still consider myself a Christian.

I also agree with 13Sandals, that it's not prudent to give your child a drug you don't think is healthy or necessary just to avoid some vague potential future problem. It's like saying "let's cut his foreskin off just in case there's a problem with it when he's 30."
And if you decide that vaccinations, or most vaccinations are not efficacious for your child, then stick to your guns. He's your child and your responsibility. Nobody else is going to offer to take care of him if a vaccine causes some damage any more than they would if he acquired some vaccine-preventable illness.

Sorry, getting off my soapbox now.

Wife to since '98; Homeschooling, working on my doctorate & becoming crunchier by the day; Mom to DSs: 06/10,12/05, & 1/99 & 1 on the way (3/15)
#11 of 15 Old 10-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaliina View Post
Fortunately for us, we're homeschooling and not worrying about exemptions and such at this point, but DS1 was in preschool for a while, and I had my religious exemption ready in case they asked for an updated physical w/ vaccines (which they didn't- guess they forgot, yay!).
Virginia does require vaccinations (or exemptions) for homeschooled kids.
#12 of 15 Old 11-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FillingMyQuiver View Post
You can opt out of school physicals in VA.

Single Mama to my sweet boo.
#13 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
Virginia does require vaccinations (or exemptions) for homeschooled kids.
technically, the health law in many states requires vaccines for all children...but it is left mostly to the schools to enforce. That being said, at any time, any mom or dad can go down to the health department and file a religious exemption, no matter the schooling choice of the parents.
#14 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Sandals View Post
Are you suggesting the op just go ahead and follow the CDC schedule then? There are difficulties in every state - even those with philosophical exemptions. A flu epidemic is declared every year - at any time any state health commissioner could keep all those not vaxed for influenza out of school for the entire season. If it came to that, I'd deal with it then, but I'm not going to vax my child with a worthless shot because there 'might' be a problem at some point.
the religious exemption is available in VA, and the religion can't be questioned. I'm sure the op is smart enough to figure out how to make the best of it.
No, I'm suggesting that the OP vaccinate her child how she decides BEFORE her child enters school and she needs to file all her required paperwork. Then, if she chooses to file the religious exemption, stick to it, and don't get anymore vaxes.

#15 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfish View Post
You can opt out of school physicals in VA.
Can you provide a link or some info on this, please? We homeschool, so I'm not aware of what you can/ cannot do w/ the public school system, but I do prefer to be informed, if ever I need to utilize the public school system.

ETA~ NM, I found it. Good to know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page