If You Plan To Do "Selective & Delayed Vaccinations", a Note of Caution... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have chosen not to vaccinate my son, so I hope it is okay that I post in here.  The reason I do is because this applies to those of you who are choosing "selective and delayed vaccination."  Two of my friends (separate people at separate times and separate clinics) who planned to delay vaccinations and refrain from certain ones, took their children in to get their immunizations, and instead of giving their children only the shots the parents had asked for, the health workers took it upon themselves to "catch the children up" on ALL the immunizations they had never gotten to that point!  A few years ago a friend of mine took her almost-3-year-old in and they gave her all 3 years worth of "missed" shots.  She developed a life-threatening allergy to cats within a few weeks that she had never had before.  Last week, my cousin took her 1-year-old in for his 6-month-shots, and the health nurse gave him both his 6-month and 1-year shots all at the same time... and the 1-year shots were what my cousin had planned not to let him have.  A week later he is still not doing well, very sick and not at all himself.

I just wanted to get the word out that this is happening (I am in Canada, so I am not sure whether health workers are taking more liberties here or if it happens often in the USA as well) because it disturbs me that some health workers think that as long as they can get their hands on our children... they can do as they please! :(  When you take your children in for the vaccinations that you as their parents have researched and chosen, please carefully watch the wording used by the health workers before your child is given the shots, and let it be known (even if you have to say it over and over a hundred different ways) what you want given to your child, and what you don't want given!

#2 of 25 Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 PM

at my doctor, we have to sign a form for each vaccine, sign again that we have received the written information and then initial when they show us the vaccine label and match it to the sheet telling which vaccines are being given that day. a little cumbersome, but a useful system.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 25 Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

WOW, I love the idea of that kind of system!  Are you in the States?  No one sues ANYONE up here in Canada, and I think because of that, our government has gotten very bold in their moves!

#4 of 25 Old 11-17-2010, 04:58 AM

yeah I am in PA in the states...I go to a general doc (our whole family sees the same guy). The system use to be get the printed material, sign that you got that, and then initial as they give each shot but they just recently added one more step with the matching.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#5 of 25 Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 AM

we do vaccinate and we have a similar system as carriebft said.  we sign in their charts before they are given shots.  we also have a little booklet that has a history of their shots and parent and doctor have to sign.  i think that booklet part is just a courtesy of our doctor, but i know that the file in their charts is standard.  now, if you went to the health clinic and got the shots, you get a form that you take home that has your signature and the health care workers signature next to the shots taht were given.

i can't believe health care workers anywhere would double and triple up on shots. i vaccinate and i wouldn't subject my kid to that.  of course it would cause some kind of reaction.  i am sorry for your friend and sister. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post

yeah I am in PA in the states...I go to a general doc (our whole family sees the same guy). The system use to be get the printed material, sign that you got that, and then initial as they give each shot but they just recently added one more step with the matching.

#6 of 25 Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Thanks for the heads up!  I don't see how it could happen at my Ped. though.  I tell him which ones I want, the nurse brings them in, opens them. fills out my chart, gives me the inserts and I hold my kids so I can see how many they get. It's never more than 1 or 2 at a time.

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a doctor try to do this here in Texas back when the only shot I was skipping was the chicken pox. They tried to give it anyway. I was livid. They also tried, on a different occassion, to give my other son a Hep A shot when I left the room to use the restroom. He was 8 or 9 at the time so I thought it was safe to leave him in the room alone. Apparently, not.

#8 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 01:04 PM

It's good to know, although sometimes I think nurses/medical assistants (whomever is giving the shots) sometimes get so wrapped up in their routines that they sometimes do make mistakes.  However, I know medical practice and philosophy vary from place to place.  Whatever the case, I absolutely would double/triple check with the person administering vaccines to make sure it's what you requested-nothing less, nothing more.  We do selective/delayed vaccinations because we have a family history of issues.  In our ped's office we have to initial for each vaccine received and they are generally pretty respectful of parents' choices. 

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#9 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 03:30 PM

We sign for each shot before and initial his chart afterward. I also hold my son while they give him the shots. I can't imagine how the doctor could sneakily give him more shots.

delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gifgoorganic.jpgfamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFbfinfant.giftreehugger.gifhomeschool.gif
http://busylittlegreenfamily.blogspot.com/computergeek2.gif
#10 of 25 Old 11-20-2010, 10:55 PM

The closest story in IRL that I have heard of this happening to is with a very close friend of mine. (don't you love how this starts out like all the other scary vax stories)

Anyway, I think it was a genuine miscommunication and mistake, which BTW would have been prevented if she had gone in more prepared with the name of the shots and, to be blunt, cared.

She wanted to delay the Hep B shot (why, I don't know she is very pro-vax, I think her mom suggested she wait until he was a year to start that particular series due to some kind of family reaction).

She told the doctor this, he agreed and after the WBV part, and he sent in the nurse. The nurse asked, "Do you want the combo again?" and she said, "Yes".  The nurse then gave her DC the combo with the Hep B (Pediarix) instead of the combo with the HIB (Pentacel). She said she didn't even notice until she got home and saw the Hep B slot filled out on the card. She was annoyed, but not outraged, since she was going to get it anyway and like I said, she was Pro-Vax in general.

She said she only told me the story to amuse herself since she knew I would be more upset about it than she was.  nut.gif

Mommy to one great little boy (2009)
#11 of 25 Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 AM

Thanks for the reminder!

I ALWAYS ask which shot they have in hand when they bring them in before they start vaccinating my son.

#12 of 25 Old 11-21-2010, 05:49 PM

i can't imagine a scenario where that would happen. my kids have been vaxed in three different states (we move a lot) and at none of the clinics have they ever tried to give them more than what i asked for. i mean, if you ask for one vax and they bring out two needles, you know that there is a mistake and you ask what the heck is going on. i'm not sure how they could administer them to your lo without you noticing unless it was something like mentioned above where the wrong combo was given.

eh. who needs a signature?
#13 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM

We live in a pretty delay vax friendly area and I had a  very anti delay VAX nurse give my DS a combo shot when I had said no I left in tears and will no be going back it feels like a violation sick.gif . we now go to a very supportive doc who talks to us and let me know exactly what hes getting before she gives it twins.gif

#14 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 05:58 PM

I'm canadian, and I didn't start vaxing til age 3, (if I had to do it over, I'd just do it on schedule, though). Anyhow, the nurse was very nice, we decided together what shots my daughter would get to get caught up, and i always knew what shots they were doing each visit. She didn't push anything at all.

My daughter had no severe reactions. Didn't develop any allergies. No problems at all, really. I know some kids do have severe reactions, but that isn't the norm.

#15 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM

Wow, I'm surprised at all the "couldn't happen here" responses.

DD has seen different doctors. One didn't say a darn thing about vaccines, didn't give us the handout, nothing. Just administered the shots. (At the time we were complying). At another office, the nurse came in with shots in hand and we had to send her away. She didn't give us a hard time or anything, but she was planning to proceed without any signatures or verbal consent or anything.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#16 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM

Federal law in the USA requires that VIS (vaccination information statements) be given out before each dose of most vaccines. The sheet must match the vaccination being given.

Offices that do not at least do this part, before the dose is administered, are violating federal law. So if you are experiencing this, I would talk to someone!

#17 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 PM

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-instructions.pdf

This link will tell you about the law and the exact protocol that must be followed when giving out a vaccine dose. There are also supplementary state laws in some places the require further documentation. I would call out any doctor not following these federally mandated steps!

#18 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Kiddo had a doctor who tried to force vaccines.  I explained that we wanted to delay and were only getting two that day.  She kind of freaked out and ended up ordering an extra one for us without telling me.  I had told the nurse prior to talking to this new doctor so she popped in and double checked to see if I really did change my mind.

Needless to say, we did NOT go back however I really appreciated the nurse who didn't just shrug her shoulders and do whatever.

#19 of 25 Old 11-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Honestly, it kind of doesn't even make sense.  If you take an unvaxed 3-year-old in to begin vaxes, they aren't going to give "3 years worth of vaxes" in one visit, because that just isn't how they catch them up and it would be very dangerous to give, for example, 4 DTP shots in the same day, let alone along with 4 hep B doses, 2 MMR doses, 3 polio doses, etc.  I can't imagine even the most pro-vax health care provider out there giving 3 years worth of doses to a child and catching them up all in one day.  It would be criminal.  There are a number of weeks to months they have to wait between each dose.  All you have to do is just look at the CDC chart and it will tell you what would be given for an unvaxed child at any age to catch them up and the minimum intervals required between each dose.   http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/2010/10_catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

I don't vax anymore, but on the 2 occasions that DS was vaxed before I stopped, they didn't give us any consents either.  Just walked in and did them.  I think most parents who are thoughtful enough to delay and selective would be pretty proactive at the visits, making sure it was agreed upon what vaxes would be given that day.

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#20 of 25 Old 11-24-2010, 04:57 AM

I agree that, as written, it really makes no sense. It would be pointless to give 2 doses of a single vaccine in a visit. I assumed the OP meant that they tried, for example, to give the 6 months shots (DTaP, PCV, etc) and the 12 month (MMR, Pox) at the same visit.

#21 of 25 Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I agree that it is criminal and doesn't make sense... yet that's exactly what they did! My friend's daughter got EVERYTHING put into her that even a hard core pro-vax individual would space out with the proper time intervals. She got the "first injections" as well as the boosters that obviously wouldn't do her any good without proper time in between. My friend got the feeling that the nurse was trying to punish her for delaying. I wish she would have pressed charges, but she herself has not read too much either way on the issue so it's not a huge issue in her mind. Besides, in Canada you don't hear of malpractice suits, because our system is totally different (very little accountability for health professionals). When my cousin's baby had 6- months and 1-years given without consent, it prompted me to at least make people aware that this happens! I'm glad to hear that your system is different and that it seems to be much less likely to happen in the USA.
#22 of 25 Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Mistakes happen and it's up to us to double check. It wasn't a vax experience...but BIL took allergy shots for YEARS from the same doctor and same bunch of nurses. One day he went in like normal and MIL said it looked like there was too much in the syringe so she commented to the nurse about it. Nurse got all huffy and said something like "It's the same dose he always gets" and gave it to him...

He had an anaphylactic reaction on the way home (MIL said he turned to her and said, "my throat feels funny" and she whipped the car around and went back.) It turns out it WAS a double dose and the nurse was too offended that someone was questioning her to double check.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#23 of 25 Old 11-24-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_mommy View Post

Yes, I agree that it is criminal and doesn't make sense... yet that's exactly what they did! My friend's daughter got EVERYTHING put into her that even a hard core pro-vax individual would space out with the proper time intervals. She got the "first injections" as well as the boosters that obviously wouldn't do her any good without proper time in between. My friend got the feeling that the nurse was trying to punish her for delaying. I wish she would have pressed charges, but she herself has not read too much either way on the issue so it's not a huge issue in her mind. Besides, in Canada you don't hear of malpractice suits, because our system is totally different (very little accountability for health professionals). When my cousin's baby had 6- months and 1-years given without consent, it prompted me to at least make people aware that this happens! I'm glad to hear that your system is different and that it seems to be much less likely to happen in the USA.

But how did your friend just sit there and let that happen?  They must have injected her over 20 times, there is no way on the planet I can imagine someone just sitting there and allowing that to happen to their child?  She's lucky her daughter didn't die or become seriously brain injured from something like that. 

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#24 of 25 Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelachristin View Post

But how did your friend just sit there and let that happen?  They must have injected her over 20 times, there is no way on the planet I can imagine someone just sitting there and allowing that to happen to their child?  She's lucky her daughter didn't die or become seriously brain injured from something like that. 

Not everyone has the same level of awareness of what is "appropriate" and "innapropriate" to be doing to a child healthwise, especially when it is someone in a position whom they assume is trustworthy. Amongst that group of friends, most of them give complete blind trust to healthcare workers and never ask questions.

#25 of 25 Old 11-26-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraJMay View Post

We sign for each shot before and initial his chart afterward. I also hold my son while they give him the shots. I can't imagine how the doctor could sneakily give him more shots.

This is what we do as well. But thanks for the heads up!

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page