what could my religious exemption for only hep. b. and chicken pox be? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i dont know how to word an exemption for only these to vaccines. I have an awesome letter that i wrote up for all vaccines, but now that i found out that my school district seems pretty lax as far as accepting partially vaxed kids, i want to try and get an exemption for only these two.  for hep b. i think it is pretty reasonable to say that i dont want to vax for a sexually transmitted disease or  a disease caused by drug use, that we are a christian family with values that will create a lifestyle in which my children will not involved in premarital sex, drugs, etc. but for chicken pox, i can not think of anything that "makes sense" for avoiding this vaccine more than others such as dtap which i want to get for my children.,

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Can't you just say what your actual reason for not wanting the vaccine is?
#3 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 02:41 PM

Um, just so you know, Christian tweens/teens end up pregnant too.  I really don't want to be offensive, but just because you teach premarital absitnence and values doesn't mean your kids are going to do that.  I'm Catholic, my husband is Catholic, we abstained until marriage, and my kids are Catholic, so obviously we will teach them about abstinence.  But we know a lot of adults who were raised Catholic or Protestant and have children only 17-18 years younger than them...  We know of several children who went to Christian schools who didn't make it to graduation because they were pregnant.  And those are only the children who get caught because a baby pops out 9 months later...not every sexually active Christian teen will end up pregnant.  So, if your only reason to avoid the hep b vax is that you think your kids will remain pure until marriage, I think I'd possibly re-examine that assumption... ;)  That, and hep B isn't *just* an STD.  You don't have to be "dirty" to accidently be exposed to Hep B (we've found dirty needles on a playground one day, and God forbid if one of my children happened to have come across it before I saw it, and picked it up, that could have been instant exposure right there.  And my kids are good kids, don't get into the drugs and stuff like that, and we don't live in a bad town...but they are curious children and will pick up anything they find.  Unfortunately, the one that's most likely to pick it up is the one that can't be vaccinated, but still...)

I believe the religious exemption is for deeply held personal beliefs...so that's not really something we can answer for you, not knowing what your deeply held religious beliefs are.  If your school is lax, can't you just get a doctor to write that he doesn't want to give the live vaccine, or that he'd prefer natural immunity?  Could you use a philosophical exemption?  Do you have to state a reason at all?  When we do the exemption for my son (he has a medical exemption for the pertussis part of DTaP, for the MMR, for the flu, and for the chicken pox vaccines.  Even though he has a true medical exemption, I've never had to say what that was.  The doctor signs the exemption form and I sign the form that says I'll keep him out of school if there is an outbreak of those things in the school, and I don't have to stay *why* he's got an exemption).  Could you just say "these vaccines are against my personal beliefs at this time" or have your ped sign a form saying that he's delaying those vaccines and not give an end date for it?

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#4 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Wow. Every state is so different in what it requires for you to exempt! What if you said something like "chicken pox is a common illness meant by god to strenghten our immunities, much like the common cold. While we understand the importance of vaxing against life threatening disease, we do  not believe that this qualifies as such." ?

Supporting natural birth and breastfeeding in the Piney Woods~
#5 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

Um, just so you know, Christian tweens/teens end up pregnant too. 

AllyRae, it is very obvious to me that Christian teens get pregnant too, so why dont I throw out all of the moral and religious upbringing on the basis that my children wont listen to or follow the teachings that I instill in them? Hep. b. is very much a sexually disease, and the dirty needles are directly related the the drug use I was speaking of. And just because you came across needles doesnt mean they were contaminated with Hep b.- I am pretty sure that the pathogens die after a certain amount of time anyway, there isnt always germs or contamination on those needles. Accidently exposure would be unfortunate, but again, my state allows for exemptions for specific vaccines, so regardless of what you may think the most likely form of exposure would be, I still need to use MY reasons, which were the ones I posted in my orginial post- and it is the only blood based disease that is vaccinated against, which makes it ver different and for me more of a "dirty" disease to encounter. you dont have to agree.

I have more a philosophical exemption to certain vaccines, but since ny state doesnt allow for that type of exemption, I need more of a religous based reason- and I wasnt asking for others to give me the "answer" but more of a directive of what their rational was.  People on this site are actually very helpful, and some do exemptions witout deeply held beliefs so those are the people I was referring to when I posted my  question. Your state is obviously very different than mine.

That, and hep B isn't *just* an STD.  You don't have to be "dirty" to accidently be exposed to Hep B (we've found dirty needles on a playground one day, and God forbid if one of my children happened to have come across it before I saw it, and picked it up, that could have been instant exposure right there.  And my kids are good kids, don't get into the drugs and stuff like that, and we don't live in a bad town...but they are curious children and will pick up anything they find.  Unfortunately, the one that's most likely to pick it up is the one that can't be vaccinated, but still...)

#6 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 04:51 PM

I am pretty sure the NY is very strict on religious vax exemptions to the point that it is all or nothing. I could be wrong but I know for sure in my state the exemption has to be across the board on all vax you cant pick and choose.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 22 Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Actually, Ohio's pretty leniant...we have philosophical, medial, and religious exemptions here.  I never said throw out all of your moral teachings.  I'm just saying that I bet Sarah Palin never thought she'd have to worry about a teen pregnancy in her house. ;)  But, I don't necessarily think vaccinations should be based on one's moral teachings.  I get that people don't want their newborns vaccinated with hep B...I actually don't agree with the routine hep B vaccination at birth.  What I *am* saying is that if the only reason you're not giving it is because you think your children will be pure until marriage, it might not work out that way.  Of course, if you have other reasons besides that, that's fantastic...it just didn't sound like it from your post...it sort of sounded like the equivelant of not teaching your children that sex can = babies because you don't think they'll have sex until they're married).  Sorry if I misunderstood that!

From what I understand from religious exemptions, most states require you to use it if you have a religious reason against ALL vaccinations.  So, if you want an exemption to only 2, it might be better to get a medical exemption from the pediatrician.  Usually, you don't have to state a reason, so for all the school would know, your children will be getting it in a couple years, they have allergies to the vaccination components, or otherwise can't have it at the current point.  We didn't have to state *why* we have a medical exemption...we just had to have the doctor sign the form.  So, I'm just suggesting that maybe you go that avenue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOM07 View Post

Quote:

AllyRae, it is very obvious to me that Christian teens get pregnant too, so why dont I throw out all of the moral and religious upbringing on the basis that my children wont listen to or follow the teachings that I instill in them? Hep. b. is very much a sexually disease, and the dirty needles are directly related the the drug use I was speaking of. And just because you came across needles doesnt mean they were contaminated with Hep b.- I am pretty sure that the pathogens die after a certain amount of time anyway, there isnt always germs or contamination on those needles. Accidently exposure would be unfortunate, but again, my state allows for exemptions for specific vaccines, so regardless of what you may think the most likely form of exposure would be, I still need to use MY reasons, which were the ones I posted in my orginial post- and it is the only blood based disease that is vaccinated against, which makes it ver different and for me more of a "dirty" disease to encounter. you dont have to agree.

I have more a philosophical exemption to certain vaccines, but since ny state doesnt allow for that type of exemption, I need more of a religous based reason- and I wasnt asking for others to give me the "answer" but more of a directive of what their rational was.  People on this site are actually very helpful, and some do exemptions witout deeply held beliefs so those are the people I was referring to when I posted my  question. Your state is obviously very different than mine.

That, and hep B isn't *just* an STD.  You don't have to be "dirty" to accidently be exposed to Hep B (we've found dirty needles on a playground one day, and God forbid if one of my children happened to have come across it before I saw it, and picked it up, that could have been instant exposure right there.  And my kids are good kids, don't get into the drugs and stuff like that, and we don't live in a bad town...but they are curious children and will pick up anything they find.  Unfortunately, the one that's most likely to pick it up is the one that can't be vaccinated, but still...)

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#8 of 22 Old 12-11-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Chicken Pox and Hep A are made from baby embryos..specifically, 3 month aborted girl fetuses, with the cells harvested within 6 hrs of the baby dying. The baby cannot die of natural causes because they cannot use sick embryos..and because it needs to be harvested within 6 hrs. 

No prolife person should be giving those vaccinations..which would be any Christian religion. I do not know the view points on abortion of other religions though. But since you are Christian, you would be fine refusing them based on that.

#9 of 22 Old 12-12-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1970 View Post

Chicken Pox and Hep A are made from baby embryos..specifically, 3 month aborted girl fetuses, with the cells harvested within 6 hrs of the baby dying. The baby cannot die of natural causes because they cannot use sick embryos..and because it needs to be harvested within 6 hrs.

As I believe has been pointed out before, the assertion of ongoing "harvesting" of "girl fetuses" for vaccine production is utter nonsense. Deliberately conflating such a wild conjecture with the MRC-5 and WI-38 cell lines does a service to nobody.

#10 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 AM

http://voxclamanti.blogspot.com/2009/01/what-ever-happened-to-baby-wi-38.html

It is your decision. Not everyone is prolife and that is fine. But I am prolife so I am against vaccinations made from aborted babies. Beyond that is the mere huge yuck factor and worries about the long term effects of injected non-compatible stem cells from another human being in to my infant.

Here is a link that is pro vaccination that tries to address the issue..but it still would not get me to be a part of the abortion industry or to use an aborted baby for anything. I think a dead person should be left alone and let go, not go on to have their cells live on and be injected in to other people. They say the babies that were aborted were healthy. If their cells were going to be kept alive for producing vaccinations for relatively mild illnesses, then why couldn't someone have let the actual children live? Did anyone ask these babies if they wanted to be butchered for the purpose of producing shots? http://www.immunizationinfo.org/issues/vaccine-components/human-fetal-links-some-vaccines

Now look at this..again, not anti vaccination on this, as these people see no problem with aborting babies..but more babies need to be aborted to keep up the supply of shots....http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC274969/

Here is from an anti vaccination place, a Christian website...Dave Ramsey to be specific... http://thegiftoflife.info/embryoderivedvaccines.htm

There are many many more links...but the point is, there is plenty out there to do an exemption based on being a Christian.

#11 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeaedpod View Post

*edited to add* Also, I'm here b/c I'm looking for the same type of letter, but including Polio as well. Also, has anyone in NY used a medical exemption for partial vaccines with success?

We delayed some vaxes and skipped some, but caught up to the required minimums and titers before school started, so I've never needed an exemption, but my understanding for NY state is that even if the school says they're lax about it and you can skip some but not all, either they are breaking the law, or they are telling you that you can exempt some but will later refuse your exemption. And even though we homeschool now, vax records are needed for summer camps and some extracurricular activities too.

NY state allows only medical exemptions on a vax by vax basis, and religious exemptions from the entire practice of vaccination, meaning that you must have NO vaccines. You cannot pick and choose. You can have a change of religious heart and decide to do no more vaccinations from a chosen date going forward. Any you had previously then won't count against you. In the OP situation, that's what I would probably do, personally.

For chicken pox, if there's any chance that your child has been exposed at any point, even with no symptoms of it, you can do a titer check.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#12 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 10:55 AM

On this note, I actually filed an exemption for shots, but my children have had some. I just feel my childrens medical records are their personal business, not the state's business. So you could consider doing that.

Quote:

Actually, Ohio's pretty leniant...we have philosophical, medial, and religious exemptions here.  I never said throw out all of your moral teachings.  I'm just saying that I bet Sarah Palin never thought she'd have to worry about a teen pregnancy in her house. ;)  But, I don't necessarily think vaccinations should be based on one's moral teachings.  I get that people don't want their newborns vaccinated with hep B...I actually don't agree with the routine hep B vaccination at birth.  What I *am* saying is that if the only reason you're not giving it is because you think your children will be pure until marriage, it might not work out that way.  Of course, if you have other reasons besides that, that's fantastic...it just didn't sound like it from your post...it sort of sounded like the equivelant of not teaching your children that sex can = babies because you don't think they'll have sex until they're married).  Sorry if I misunderstood that!

From what I understand from religious exemptions, most states require you to use it if you have a religious reason against ALL vaccinations.  So, if you want an exemption to only 2, it might be better to get a medical exemption from the pediatrician.  Usually, you don't have to state a reason, so for all the school would know, your children will be getting it in a couple years, they have allergies to the vaccination components, or otherwise can't have it at the current point.  We didn't have to state *why* we have a medical exemption...we just had to have the doctor sign the form.  So, I'm just suggesting that maybe you go that avenue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMOM07 View Post

Quote:

#13 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 AM

This is all the more reason to not do the vaccinations. First, on the Hep B, a pregnant lady walking past your child in a store is not going to get Hep B from your child. In fact, hep B is not even an acute illness, meaning, your child won't just get it and have it for a week and be contagious to anyone who breathes his air. No one he comes in to normal contact with, would get Hep B from him, so do not worry yourself about your child potentially getting Hep B and passing it to some innocent bystander, who has cancer or something so they are unvaccinated, but happen to be hanging out in public standing next to your child. 

About the chicken pox shot, I was already not doing it before I became prolife. You see, it did not come to the states until the late 90's. My first two children are older than that. They actually got the chicken pox right around the time the shot came out. The disease was so mild, ordinary, other than interesting spots. I was actually a bit shocked that there was even a shot for it. My first child never even had a fever. The second child had a fever and was miserable for a few days. They both had spots, tons of them. That is it. So, they never had the shot. By the time I had another child, the shot had been out a few years. The shot had been out 5 yrs pretty much, in fact, when that child turned a year and would have had the shot. I was quite involved in the public schools at the time and had friends and family who worked in the schools. AND, kids were getting chicken pox despite the shot! Later, it was concluded that the shot wore off and everyone who gets the first one, needs to get another one every so often. I think it is every 10 yrs, but these shots have often been wearing off sooner. This shot is not very effective. And it might prevent your child from having the disease for the first 10-20 years, and then your child gets the disease in the 20's...childbearing years. Chicken Pox is pretty innoculous, unless you are much older when you get it, like an adult. What happens, if I get my child the shot at 1, and then again at 11 and then she is 21 and I call her and say...go someplace and get that shot. Will she? But what if she is pregnant with my grandbaby? Then she cannot get the shot...will she get the disease while pregnant? 

I don't want to complicate my children's lives. And I like to keep things natural when possible. SO, I let my children get the disease naturally and be immune for life. I am well aware that the rare person will get chicken pox a 2nd time, but that is rare for someone who had the disease. That is common and usual for someone who had the shot. 

Should we touch on the fact that there are many little child now, who had the chicken pox shot, who have gotten shingles as preschoolers! It used to be an elderly person's disease, now it is happening to little children. The solution? Another vaccination of course! It is just a vicious cycle that I opted out of for my children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton01 View Post

In response to NYMOM07...

you had writen that "I have more a philosophical exemption to certain vaccines, but since ny state doesnt allow for that type of exemption, I need more of a religous based reason-"

My question to you is - Isn't that lying?  Do you often use your religious beliefs as an excuse to get out of - or allow you to - do something that otherwise is not true?

In our household, we teach our children to look at the reasons they are using - and see if it supports our religious beliefs of being true and fair.

And, on a separate note - do you even think about how your choice to NOT vaccinate your healthy child could negatively affect another child that is unable to receive the vaccination because of medical reasons, or the devastating effects it would have on an un-vaccinated pregnant woman and her unborn child?  I know you believe that you would take your child out of school if there were cases in the classroom, but it takes between 2 and 3 weeks before symptoms of chicken pox even appear. 

For all of these reasons, I would ask you to rethink your decision to refuse vaccinations for your children.  Remember: to thine own self be true - and - do not harm another!

#14 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Hello!  I'm afraid I don't quite understand your question.  If you want to be excused from having your child vaccinated because of a religious belief, can't you just site where in your religion it says that vaccinating goes against its tenents?

Anetta, earthmama in the City lady.gif  Wife and best friend to DH reading.gif, SAHM to our little princess Leda dust.gif and furbabies Hans and Heidi  dog2.gifdog2.gif

Happily expecting a pair of "oops!" twins in October!  oops.gif  oops.gif

#15 of 22 Old 12-16-2010, 02:50 PM

And just because you came across needles doesnt mean they were contaminated with Hep b.- I am pretty sure that the pathogens die after a certain amount of time anyway, there isnt always germs or contamination on those needles.

Hep B can live outside the body for up to 7 days but you can kill it(outside the body, obviously) with bleach. The rate of getting Hep B after a contaminated needlestick/sharps is up to 30%. If you get stuck with a dirty needle you can get a shot, I think it is some kind of gammaglobulin (sp?)  that can boost your immunity and hopefully prevent transmission. I'd be more concerned about getting Hep C or HIV from a dirty needle though.

Lisa DH Pat DS Liam DS Jamessigncirc1.gif

Missing DD Lily 6/17/10- 12/13/12

#16 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton01 View Post

In response to NYMOM07...

you had writen that "I have more a philosophical exemption to certain vaccines, but since ny state doesnt allow for that type of exemption, I need more of a religous based reason-"

My question to you is - Isn't that lying?  Do you often use your religious beliefs as an excuse to get out of - or allow you to - do something that otherwise is not true?

In our household, we teach our children to look at the reasons they are using - and see if it supports our religious beliefs of being true and fair.

And, on a separate note - do you even think about how your choice to NOT vaccinate your healthy child could negatively affect another child that is unable to receive the vaccination because of medical reasons, or the devastating effects it would have on an un-vaccinated pregnant woman and her unborn child?  I know you believe that you would take your child out of school if there were cases in the classroom, but it takes between 2 and 3 weeks before symptoms of chicken pox even appear. 

For all of these reasons, I would ask you to rethink your decision to refuse vaccinations for your children.  Remember: to thine own self be true - and - do not harm another!

well, cotton one, no its no lying, its using a religious exemption rather than a philo one- and by the way, I have to get around my corrupt states' policies, and their guidelines and rules, so if your going to question my ethics, why not question their's? As well as the fact that their are religious beliefs behind my decisions, and asking for help from others with experience with writing exemptions for certain vaccines does not mean I am lying. I am not going to be boxed into a corner and put my children in harms way because of a technicality on which type of exemption I will use based on the unethical and unconstitutional system that the government set up. 

and are you out of you mind about the danger I am putting unvaxed children in in regards to the chicken pox vaccine? Do you know that since sept. my son has had three confirmed cases of chicken pox in his nursery school among all VAXED children?  And oh, what happened to other children and unvaxed pregnant women (who by the way should have immunity from the disease) before the vaccine was put on the market? it is a relatively new vaccine, and your statements are way off. You have no right to judge my concern is not for public safety but for the safety of MY children- a person like  you doesnt care about individual rights and situations, and want everyone vaxed, the type of person that shouldnt even be on this board or answering my question.

And as for your quote to thine own self be true- I am you fool! not being roped into state mandated vaccines is being true to myself, not the state.  and if they harm with no concern, then i should be looking out for my children, not others. your statements are hypocritical.
WellW 

#17 of 22 Old 12-17-2010, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeaedpod View Post

*edited to add* Also, I'm here b/c I'm looking for the same type of letter, but including Polio as well. Also, has anyone in NY used a medical exemption for partial vaccines with success?

We delayed some vaxes and skipped some, but caught up to the required minimums and titers before school started, so I've never needed an exemption, but my understanding for NY state is that even if the school says they're lax about it and you can skip some but not all, either they are breaking the law, or they are telling you that you can exempt some but will later refuse your exemption. And even though we homeschool now, vax records are needed for summer camps and some extracurricular activities too.

NY state allows only medical exemptions on a vax by vax basis, and religious exemptions from the entire practice of vaccination, meaning that you must have NO vaccines. You cannot pick and choose. You can have a change of religious heart and decide to do no more vaccinations from a chosen date going forward. Any you had previously then won't count against you. In the OP situation, that's what I would probably do, personally.

For chicken pox, if there's any chance that your child has been exposed at any point, even with no symptoms of it, you can do a titer check.

he has been exposed to chicken pox 3 times in sept. so i will definitely have his titers checked before school

#18 of 22 Old 12-18-2010, 07:45 AM

I have removed several posts from the thread which were either in violation of our UA or forum guidelines or which were responses to such posts. Please remember to keep on-topic for the discussion and to maintain a comfortable and respectful atmosphere. If you believe another member has behaved inappropriately, please simply report the post rather than posting to the thread. Please remember that any further issues will result in either closure or removal of the thread.

#19 of 22 Old 12-20-2010, 11:26 AM

My husband's young cousin contracted Hep B "horizontally" through living with someone who was Hep B positive (and they did not know it). Hep B has been spread by saliva (spit in the eye even) and can be spread from person to person in a househol
. up to 30% of Hep B positive individuals did not have a risk factor for contracting the disease. I just wanted to put this out there because I think it does people like my husband's family member a disservice to simply boil down this disease to one of  STDs, dirtiness and drugs. they suspect the caregiver living with them contracted it through a blood transfusion but they just don't know, and they were unaware of her status (as was she) until it was too late. I do not know about this theory as she would have to have been a very rare carrier case...but, then again, it's rare all around.

I would not say go get the vaccine. I just wanted to put this story out there because it does kinda get me when I see the disease being cut and dry...putting people into categories that they don't belong in. He's a great kid and I can assure you he isn't into premarital sex, drugs or anything like that. and they are a devoutly catholic family.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#20 of 22 Old 12-20-2010, 11:28 AM

This is a good point.

There have been many cases of Hep B being spread by things like this in sanitation workers-- again, I feel it is unfair to paint them as living dirty lives or immoral lives, kwim? yeah, perhaps someone immoral was using that needle to get the Hep B on there in the first place, but you teaching morality will not stop that other person, kwim? and it isn't the fault of the person that becomes infected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSedai View Post

And just because you came across needles doesnt mean they were contaminated with Hep b.- I am pretty sure that the pathogens die after a certain amount of time anyway, there isnt always germs or contamination on those needles.

Hep B can live outside the body for up to 7 days but you can kill it(outside the body, obviously) with bleach. The rate of getting Hep B after a contaminated needlestick/sharps is up to 30%. If you get stuck with a dirty needle you can get a shot, I think it is some kind of gammaglobulin (sp?)  that can boost your immunity and hopefully prevent transmission. I'd be more concerned about getting Hep C or HIV from a dirty needle though.

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#21 of 22 Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriebft View Post

My husband's young cousin contracted Hep B "horizontally" through living with someone who was Hep B positive (and they did not know it). Hep B has been spread by saliva (spit in the eye even) and can be spread from person to person in a househol
. up to 30% of Hep B positive individuals did not have a risk factor for contracting the disease. I just wanted to put this out there because I think it does people like my husband's family member a disservice to simply boil down this disease to one of  STDs, dirtiness and drugs. they suspect the caregiver living with them contracted it through a blood transfusion but they just don't know, and they were unaware of her status (as was she) until it was too late. I do not know about this theory as she would have to have been a very rare carrier case...but, then again, it's rare all around.

I would not say go get the vaccine. I just wanted to put this story out there because it does kinda get me when I see the disease being cut and dry...putting people into categories that they don't belong in. He's a great kid and I can assure you he isn't into premarital sex, drugs or anything like that. and they are a devoutly catholic family.

And not to mention that certain groups the transmission is 90+% familial either horizontal or vertical. I personally know 10 people who have contracted Hep B that way.
#22 of 22 Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
 i think it is pretty reasonable to say that i dont want to vax for a sexually transmitted disease or  a disease caused by drug use, that we are a christian family with values that will create a lifestyle in which my children will not involved in premarital sex, drugs, etc 

I dont' know anything about american vaccine exemption, but I wouldn't put that as it is

100% wrong, and pretty insulting to anyone who the disease.

it is a blood born disease therfore you can get it from anything with blood, like sharing a toothbrush, a razor, a sharps injury.  All your christian values will do you little good when your healthcare worker child has a needle stick injury.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page