Flu vax mandatory in Ct for under 5's --- don't want it, need help what to do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The state of Ct  -- has made the Flu vaccine mandatory for children under 5. We've never gotten the flu vax, I don't want to start now -- they say if I don't get my ds vax by Dec 30 he cannot attend school from Jan-Mar. He does have all his other vaccines -- we just finished our delayed schedule last week.

Is there anyway to be exempt? or do I have to get him the vax.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Jen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, you can get an exemption for religious reasons using this form. http://www.sde.ct.gov/sde/lib/sde/PDF/deps/student/health/Religious_Exemption.pdf

Old 12-28-2010, 02:53 PM

I am going through the same issue.  My daughter's daycare is telling me that the religious exemption I have on file for her is not valid because she is partially vaccinated.  I argued with them that we changed our religious beliefs recently and do not plan on vaccinating her any further, and thus the exemption should still hold. 

I don't know if CT can demand documentation or proof of religion, but if necessary I'll do whatever it takes. I do NOT believe in vaccinating for the flu. I have never received the vaccination and have somehow managed to get by in life. I have no idea why the state/country is up in arms about the FLU vaccine of all things. It seems a little big eye, little eye to me.

Meister, use the religious exemption from the DPH of CT website and inform your school that you will no longer be vaccinating your child due to a change in religious beliefs.

http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3136&q=388416

Good luck!  I hopefully will have good news from all of this to share too.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You can file a RE, but you cannot vax for anything from then on out. So if you are just trying to avoid the flu vax, but plan on doing all of the boosters, you are out of luck. It's all or nothing with a religious exemption.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 AM

I live in New Jersey and here's what I did- so far no problems.  I submitted a religious exemption letter to the school even though they were fully vaccinated except for their 4 and 5 yr. old boosters- but I'm just now starting to educated myself on this issue so I need to take some time before I get them any more shots.  So I just didn't submit their shot records to the school.  All they need is that exemption letter.  If you do decide to get any more shots for your child just don't submit the record to the school.  No one has the right to question you about your religious beliefs so if the school nurse or anybody at your child's school asks you about it just say this is my religious belief and I have the right under the law to practice them. If they call your doctor the doctor can't give them information from your child's medical file.  Also we looked online for sample religious exemption letters specifically for our state to make sure we included all the information we needed in the letter so they couldn't give us a hard time about it.  Surprisingly no one has had any problems with it- all the school nurse was worried about was making sure she had paperwork for her files so she wouldn't get in trouble.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3tobe View Post

I live in New Jersey and here's what I did- so far no problems.  I submitted a religious exemption letter to the school even though they were fully vaccinated except for their 4 and 5 yr. old boosters- but I'm just now starting to educated myself on this issue so I need to take some time before I get them any more shots.  So I just didn't submit their shot records to the school.  All they need is that exemption letter.  If you do decide to get any more shots for your child just don't submit the record to the school.  No one has the right to question you about your religious beliefs so if the school nurse or anybody at your child's school asks you about it just say this is my religious belief and I have the right under the law to practice them. If they call your doctor the doctor can't give them information from your child's medical file.  Also we looked online for sample religious exemption letters specifically for our state to make sure we included all the information we needed in the letter so they couldn't give us a hard time about it.  Surprisingly no one has had any problems with it- all the school nurse was worried about was making sure she had paperwork for her files so she wouldn't get in trouble.

A scenario like this is only possible IF your child is not a part of the state's vaccine registry. Unless you have chosen to opt out, The school CAN have access to your child's vaccine history and CAN find out if you vaccinate after you file an exemption. This will result in you losing your exemption. Most Medical offices and public health depts are required to submit this info to the state vaccine registry.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:05 PM

what religion do you have to be? (J/C) and OMFG they better not do this in MA

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

Old 01-20-2011, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Update.....my religious exemption is on file at the school,I've been waiting for the school to tell me my ds cannot attend until March (that was a stipulation in the flu vax memo sent out by the state) --- we have not had much school lately due to the weather. My pediatrician who is totally on board w/ our family choosing not to have the flu vax, says I will be fine --- that my beliefs are my constitutional right and can change and not be questioned even though it is just for the 1 vax. I trust her. I also am okay if the school comes back,challenges my choice & says ds cannot attend until March, it's preschool for Pete's sake. My ped. also thought that our state (Ct) was leaning towards mandatory flu vax for ALL elementary school children starting next year, this way I will have a exemption on record

Old 01-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

what religion do you have to be? (J/C) and OMFG they better not do this in MA

I think they are thinking about doing something about the flu vaccine in MA. MA is asking schools to report the numbers of kids who have/don't have the flu shots (not by name, as I understand it, but by numbers). So, my guess is that there are trying to decide whether it's worth it to add it to the schedule or not.

User Tag List