My son received his first vaccine at 5 months (Dtap). Thursday he'll get IPV. A few weeks after that Hib (?). I'm struggling because I would really like to have an extended schedule for him and want to reduce the number of vaccines he receives at one time. Our family doctor is not outrightly opposed, but he's not that supportive either. He wants us to follow the recommended schedule. So I'm having a hard time finding a good schedule to follow. I don't want to miss anything important. For instance, I just read that the rotavirus vaccine must be given at or before 7 months (or not at all). So now we have to decide quickly pro's/con's of the rotavirus vaccine. So does anyone have a schedule they would like to share?
highest priority for us in the first year:
PCV (skipped pcv7 but decided we will do pcv13)
Hep B (travel/family with infection)- this won't apply to you but it is our situation
-rota (we skip)
-Hep A (skip)
- IPV (we do but not priority since not a threat here atm)
I personally would want to get PCV and/or hib in before doing IPV if you are going to do only one or two per visit. Why waste the visit with a vaccine for a disease that poses no immediate risk over two that have cases here in the USA and are dangerous for babies, kwim?
Just subbing, and wanted to say that I'm working on this myself right now. I've got a ways to go, but I'll share my plan when I finish. I'd love to hear about what others have done.
Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11
We're following Dr. Sears delayed schedule. I'm sure there are those who find problems with it as well, but I just didn't feel informed enough to decide what and when at the time DD was born. It's been a reasonable alternative for us.