help with extended/delayed vaccine schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son received his first vaccine at 5 months (Dtap).  Thursday he'll get IPV.  A few weeks after that Hib (?).  I'm struggling because I would really like to have an extended schedule for him and want to reduce the number of vaccines he receives at one time.  Our family doctor is not outrightly opposed, but he's not that supportive either.  He wants us to follow the recommended schedule.  So I'm having a hard time finding a good schedule to follow.  I don't want to miss anything important.  For instance, I just read that the rotavirus vaccine must be given at or before 7 months (or not at all).  So now we have to decide quickly pro's/con's of the rotavirus vaccine.  So does anyone have a schedule they would like to share?

Thanks 

#2 of 5 Old 01-12-2011, 01:10 PM

highest priority for us in the first year:

hib

DTaP

PCV (skipped pcv7 but decided we will do pcv13)

Hep B (travel/family with infection)- this won't apply to you but it is our situation

Lower priority:

-rota (we skip)

-Hep A (skip)

- IPV (we do but not priority since not a threat here atm)

I personally would want to get PCV and/or hib in before doing IPV if you are going to do only one or two per visit. Why waste the visit with a vaccine for a disease that poses no immediate risk over two that have cases here in the USA and are dangerous for babies, kwim?

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#3 of 5 Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know.  My research has been limited, due to time constraints really.   I need to do more.  Thanks for the advice.

#4 of 5 Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM

Just subbing, and wanted to say that I'm working on this myself right now. I've got a ways to go, but I'll share my plan when I finish. I'd love to hear about what others have done.

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#5 of 5 Old 01-13-2011, 03:06 PM

We're following Dr. Sears delayed schedule. I'm sure there are those who find problems with it as well, but I just didn't feel informed enough to decide what and when at the time DD was born. It's been a reasonable alternative for us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page