Anyone know of an informative, non-sensationalist book/DVD on Vaccines? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2011, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our baby is due in May and my husband and I would like to start researching vaccinations.  I'd like a book that presents both sides of the argument in a non-biased way.

And a dvd would be good for DH cuz he doesn't like reading!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 PM

I don't know about any DVDs, but a book I really like is The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears (don't remember which Sears.)  Everything I read in it was presented in a scientific/medical way with the names of the vaccines, how many doses are given, why they are given, what can happen if the disease is contracted, and potential side-effects of the vaccines from the very minor itching to the more severe of seizures and death.  He also gives all of the versions available (at least at the time of the book's publication with some updates given on their website) and the ingredients each one contains.

He doesn't advise against getting vaccines, but he is not telling you that you have to get 100% of them on the CDC's schedule, either. 

Married to DH since February 2005, mother of selectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifDS (8/18/2008) and DD in (4/2/2011)!  lactivist.gif familybed2.gif  Expecting stork-suprise.gif February 2013!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 PM

yes, i was going to say The Vaccine Book by Dr. Sears, too. tons of great information there!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

A number of pediatricians have demonized Sears for proposing such sacrilege as an alternative vaccine schedule.  Those peds should realize that I was set on not vaccinating at all until I read Sears' book.  He doesn't dismiss parental concerns; he validates and addresses them.  While owning up to his pro-vax bias, he gives a level-headed list of reasons of why parents may or may not choose certain vaccines.  The other source that I would recommend is Jay Gordon's DVD.  He's more conservative on vaxes than Sears, but he still gives even-handed information for parents to make decisions.  And contrary to popular belief, he's not anti-vax. 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

User Tag List