Vaccines and Titers for 7/8 year old - traveling out of country - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ds was selectively vaxed as an infant and then we completely stopped vaxing (before age 2).  Dd has never been vaxed at all.  Now they are 8 and 7 and dh has started to get worried again, especially since we will be traveling out of the country to Belize, Roatan, Cozumel, Cayman Islands.  

I am having titers drawn for Ds (order is in for the doc to sign).  Since Dd has never been vaxed, is there any reason for me to do her titers?  

Anyone know where I can find what shots to consider for traveling out of the country?

Anyone delayed vax this long and then decided to vax?  Which vax would you get for your children at this age?  What would you do?

Thanks for the help.  

#2 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 11:02 PM

For international travel, I'd do MMR and IPV.

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

#3 of 6 Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.  Those are two that are on my "possibles".  My son's doc wants all his vaccine records before he'll request the titer draws.  I had to make a bizillion phone calls (we've switched doctors multiple times due to a complex medical hx) to get them to him. Hopefully everything he needs will be there tomorrow and I can get those down before the end of the week.  

#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 PM

And for your daughter, I personally wouldn't do titers.  They are likely to be negative, I wouldn't put her through the blood draw. 

mom to 4 kids, ages 20 mos to 11 years

#5 of 6 Old 05-02-2011, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Would Hep A be a consideration?  My husband thought that one would be the most likely to be exposed to because of eating out in those countries.  Thoughts?

#6 of 6 Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.  anyone else have any thoughts?  Sorry for all the posts.  I've been reading, reading, reading and its all so confusing.  So many thoughts and ideas and opinions.  Every time I think I've come up with a plan, something changes.  Anyone have any thoughts on the Td (or is it Dt?).  Thanks. 

Tags
Vaccinations , Selective Vaccination , Travel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page