We're in the application process with a mission organization, and the medical review board wants us to be completely up-to-date on vaccines in order to clear us for moving and working overseas, according to the CDC schedule :( Looking at 2-3 month time fram to get some hated shots in :(
Here are the facts:
Son will be 21 months old in a week or so and has had the following shots (prior to me reading up on vaccines....):
- 3X DTaP at 2, 4 1/2 and 6 3/4 months old
- 3X Hep B at 1 day old, 2, and 6 3/4 months old
- 3X Hib at 2, 4 1/2 and 6 3/4 months old
- 3X Polio/IPV at 2, 4 1/2 and 6 3/4 months old
- PCV (prevnar 7) at 2 months old, and 2X Prevnar at 4 1/2 and 6 3/4 month old
- He actually had the Rotavirus at 2 and 4 1/2 months old :(
He has not received a single vaccination since he was 6-7 months old.
I'm mortified at what he still 'needs' :(
Here is what I need:
1. Can anyone recommend a schedule, based on 2-3 months to get the missing shots in (DTAP, MMR, PCV, HIB, Flu, HepA I think are the ones that are missing?)? I don't know too much about vaccines, but know Dr. Sears recommends the live ones to be seperate, and only one aluminum containing one at a time. I've also heard of one bacterial one at a time, because it tends to depress the immune system for 7-21 days (no mixing viral w/ bacterial vaccines). I'm overwhelmed at all the info! If you can and have time, I would appreciate it SO much if you could show me how you would schedule these, and why?
2. I need 10 yr boosters, but I am still nursing him 3X/day. Do the ingredients pass through breastmilk? Do I have to schedule mine around his vacc schedule to prevent him from getting even more toxins in his system?
3. I need de-toxing ideas to make sure as little as possible stays in his little body :( How would I go about this?
4. ANY other advice, please share!
Thanks SO, SO much!
Bless you for having the courage to go overseas to spread the Word! Part of that Call is being physically prepared to go, and unfortunately, these diseases are generally diseases of the poorer countries. If you choose to follow the Call, then you are going to have to sacrifice the developed world luxury of spreading out the vacs. I don't envy you!
Will getting *relatively* caught up ruin your chances of selection? You won't be able to bring baby up to date on DTaP, but you could point out that you will get this when you get the flu shot in the fall (baby will need 2 flus)! If this would end the selection process, perhaps the Call is not actually an achievable goal for the family this year, and you don't have to put you all through this. If baby gets Dtap after age 4, you don't have to get a 5th, and you are able to spread everything out more. But you would need to be *here* to have that luxury.
There is also the possibility that you would need to get the Chicken Pox vac for him, and I think I *would* get the Hep A for the family, to be honest. And I am a very selective vaxxer. One good point - the current flu shot is not available yet! :) I think I would spread out your modified live ones as much as I can, but with only 2 or 3 months to work with, you are really in a hard place.
The most important thing is to devise a plan, and get it done. Perhaps taking in the plan to the doc's office and having the doc document the plan in a letter to the Missions Board would help!
Here's what I would do if I had your situation: PRAY. Then I'd feed Chewable Vit D to child and me. :)
1 (end May) Round one: MMR DTAP (both very painful. Lots of love & hugs needed here, don't get your DT now!!)
2 (End June) 2nd month, same date (minimum separation time by anyone's chart): PCV, IPV (Great time for Mama's Dt)
3 (end July) 3rd round, 3rd month name, same date: MMR HiB
4 (End Aug) 4th round, 4th month, same date: Varicella, Hep A for the family
5 (End Sept) Flu should be out!! flu for the family
6 (End of Oct) Flu #2 for baby
7 (End of Nov) final DTap for Baby, Varicella #2
About mama's shots. Very little of the shot *could* pass through. And given the options of either weaning and getting the shot or not weaning and getting the shot, I think that the baby is going to need your loving presence in nursing more than ever when he is feeling poorly from all this stuff. Keep on nursing, sister!
The way the vacs replicate in the muscles is fascinating. The Lord created our bodies so well! Do take this chance to educate yourself on the way it works. Check out the Creighton method of Natural Family Planning too - that might prove useful in the field some day.
I actually give my teens some anti histimines and motrin before we go off for shots, just like my first doc suggested back in 91 for the wee baby who then reacted. We have *very* allergic children, so you may not need such strong measures! I just had my 16 year old Dt'd, and he had a beautiful arthus reaction where the arm was enourmous and he developed wheezing too. He has had problems with penicillin and wasps previously, so we know to watch him closely! My prayer for you is that you all are very healthy to ward off the diseases which would hamper your mission. God bless you! (may the flames begin!)
|6 members and 10,506 guests|
|Dovenoir , katelove , lisak1234 , sciencemum , thefragile7393 , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|