Want to do delayed/selective vax.... but in constant contact with kids going to school & daycare.... what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but if I could get any insight on this I would really appreciate it.  My baby has been vaccinated basically on schedule since birth (he is now 10 months old) until we became "enlightened" and learned more about the concerns surrounding vaccination (we've read Sears, The Vaccine Book, specifically and have done some research online).  We'd like to selectively vaccinate and delay some of the vaccines. At 12 months, we plan to decline the Hep A, MMR, and Varicella (not sure how our pediatrician will react to this...). I think we will not do the Hep A and Varicella at all, perhaps delay MMR for a while, but check titers at age 5 and proceed from there.  

The trouble is, my son is in pretty regular contact with his 3 cousins (all fully vaccinated), 1 of which goes to public school. He also has "playdates" with a baby his age (also fully vaccinated) who regularly goes to daycare.  

Should I perhaps re-think the decision to delay/selectively vaccinate?  He is a breastfed baby, too. 

#2 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The vast majority of unvaccinated children lead normal lives, most in regular contact with other kids going to school and daycare.

#3 of 4 Old 05-24-2011, 10:17 PM

I'm confused.  Are you worried about your son getting infected by vaccinated kids, or vaccinated kids getting infected by your son? 

#4 of 4 Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I answered my own question in a way - I shouldn't be too concerned :) Thanks for your responses

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page