What brand of Dtap would you/did you choose in CANADA? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2011, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD  is 3 years and 3 months and completely unvaxed.  I'm going to start her with the DTap, mostly because I'm concerned about tetanus as well as really not wanting her to get whooping cough...... 

The brands we have here are different than the U.S. which I see most discussion about.  Options seem to be Quadracel, Infanrix hexa and Pediacel.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 06-11-2011, 05:50 AM

Quadracel is a combo: DTaP and Polio.

The Infanrix-Hexa is also a combo: DTaP, Polio, Hib and Hep B.

Pediacel is a combo: DTaP, Polio and Hib.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#3 of 5 Old 06-11-2011, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post

Quadracel is a combo: DTaP and Polio.

The Infanrix-Hexa is also a combo: DTaP, Polio, Hib and Hep B.

Pediacel is a combo: DTaP, Polio and Hib.

Thanks, yes I'm aware what they actually are but am wondering which would be your choice if you had to choose out of these three options.  I'm not so worried about Hep B (although with that being said, I don't know much about it and so clearly need to do some more research).  I'm more concerned about "reactivity" or any of these being known for more adverse reactions, as well as the aluminum content...... We may travel to Europe next year so would like her to have Polio.... not sure about the Hib - I know she's out of the main risk age, but this still concerns me.   Unfortunately my Dr. Sears booked is packed away in my garage (we're moving)!

Thanks for any advice, opinions, thoughts on which of these three you would choose - and why.

#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 02:23 AM

My choice would be the Quadracel because Hib and Hep B aren't on our "must have" list for our kids (but tetanus and polio are) after age 3. TBH I'm less concerned with reactivity after age three so that wouldn't register as much for me. Dr. Sears has a website with updated info - the book info is outdated at this point. Google should reveal a link.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#5 of 5 Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 PM

I am considering starting vaccines with my son who is almost 2.5.  I had originally wanted to do just DTaP but found out the only one for his age group is Quadracel which is DTaP-IPV (well and the other combos you mentioned but I don't want to do those).  There is Adacel which is just DTaP which can be used as a booster after age 4.  I'm a bit confused about how many shots he will need.  From the catch up schedule I believe it says 4 is enough if the 4th is after age 4.  And for IPV only 3 are needed.  So I guess I would do the first 3 with quadracel and the final one after age 4 with adacel.  If I decide to at all.  I'm still going over stuff.

Mama to my charming little boy, born at home January '09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page