Lots of questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I are becoming more and more worried about all the vaccines being pushed on us for our children.  We do not do chicken pox and it is endlessly being pushed on me each time I bring one of my kids to an appointment, I think it is totally unnecessary.  My biggest worry is mmr.  I see so many mixed reviews on this.  my oldest is 4, Dr. wanted to give the 2nd dose, I told her I was thinking about it and maybe do it at another time.  I need reasons for and against getting this.  My middle child has also had the 1st dose, and was not herself for about 2 weeks.  My baby is only 4 months so he has not had it yet, he's only had the vaccines they give at 2 and 4 months. My 4yr old has already had all the pcv vaccines but now I hear they have pcv 13 which is different than what she had already received, the dr wants to give her that now too because it covers 6 additional strains that the other one did not.  I feel like it is starting to get out of control.  Where is the end to this, each time they get something new they are going to want to give it to my kids and i'm not ok with that.  I'm getting tired of hearing how all this stuff is so safe, I consider some of them to be worth doing but not all and there are so many how do I decide?  is the pcv vaccine even necessary? I know it is supposed to protect against blood infections and meningitis but how common are these problems?  I don't really know much about them, is it that easy to get that everyone needs to be vaccinated againt it? And all the cases of people who get sick with this, is it because the vaccine wore off? or because it is not completly effective and you can still get it?  I feel like i don't even know where to begin.  I would love to hear any advice any of you have

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Next time they offer the chickenpox vaccine, tell the doctor you have decided against it, and to please write that in the chart. If they offer it again, tell them it is in the chart that you are refusing it. If they continue to offer it, it may be time to find a new doctor.

The 2nd MMR is not a booster. There's a 95-98% chance that it is not needed. Read this for more information.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/documents/antibody_titer_law.pdf

One good reason to not give the MMR is your middle child's experience. Another good reason is that measles, mumps, and rubella are not actually scary diseases. Measles may be serious in starving, malnourished children in Africa, but that's no reason for your children to get the vaccine.

To answer your question, it will never end. New vaccines will constantly be developed and added to the schedule, for both children and adults. In 1983, they only gave children diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis, MMR, and polio. Nobody was asking for more vaccines. It was only in 1986 when the pharmaceutical companies were given complete protection from lawsuits so that they would continue making the existing vaccines, that they started developing more and more vaccines. Which makes sense from a business point of view. Products are much more profitable when there is no risk of liability.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm wondering where you heard about all the safety information on the vaccines..to my knowledge, there are no studies done to prove safety of administering that many vaccines at once, on the schedule the AAP/CDC recommends.  it is just assumed it's safe to do. I heard the new prevnar 13 is bringing about diff strains of ear infections and pneumonia because of the mutation of the bacteria. I will try to find the link on that. 

User Tag List