Is one DT shot enough protection? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 4 yr old ds has one DT shot about 1 1/2 yrs ago.  Yesterday, he stepped on an old screw that was sticking out of a chalkboard I picked up at a yard sale. :(

His current doc doesn't have the DT on hand only Daptacel.  I'm okay with even getting a DtaP but only Tripedia which they don't have. 

I've given him Ledum and cleaned the wound with Hydrogen Peroxide.  I'm just worried because it was a puncture wound and didn't bleed much.

Does anyone know how long and how effective just one shot of DT is at preventing tetanus?

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 06-24-2011, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

It's too late for a tetanus vaccine to do anything. If his doctor were truly worried, he would have highly recommended the TIG (tetanus immune globulin).

I'm curious why you would be okay with Tripedia. It's the only brand of DTaP that contains mercury.

There are about 30 cases of tetanus per year in the U.S., mostly in older adults or heroin users. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/tetanus.pdf The chance of your son getting tetanus is pretty much zero. Plus, is there any reason to believe the screw could have been covered with tetanus spores?

#3 of 5 Old 06-27-2011, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

I was leaning more towards the Tripedia brand because it has half the amount of aluminum as Daptacel.  Although I'd prefer just the DT either way if the doc can get it.  

I agree the chances of tetanus are very low, but I just get so worried.  He's a very active 4yr old and is constantly (talking daily here) getting cuts, scrapes, etc.  He has an 7 yr old brother and they are always getting into something! 

After he stepped on this screw, I cleaned it and covered it.  He got up and just kept running around. At one point he was outside playing, kicked off his shoes and bandage and jumped in a big muddy puddle.  I just can't help but worry that one of these times he might just get sick. :(

#4 of 5 Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone View Post

I was leaning more towards the Tripedia brand because it has half the amount of aluminum as Daptacel.  

At one point he was outside playing, kicked off his shoes and bandage and jumped in a big muddy puddle.  I just can't help but worry that one of these times he might just get sick. :(

But thimerosal and aluminum should NEVER be combined. What they do to the body and brain together is much worse than what they do by themselves.

That seems like a pretty common thing for a child to do. However, there are only about 30 cases of tetanus per year in the United States, and hardly any of the cases are in children.

#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for keeping me level headed with this!  

I haven't read anything about the mixing of thimerosal and aluminum together.  Why is the combo of lower doses of both worse then a larger dose of aluminum?  I would prefer to avoid both, but I thought that too much of one would be worse.  I don't have any research to back that up though, it was just my thoughts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page