religous exemption all or nothing? I don't understand - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been reading here that it seems people think the religious exemption is "all or nothing". This makes no sense to me. I know that the wording of each state's laws is different but still how can they legally say that you can not get ANY vaccines because you have a religious exemption? I mean what if your religious or beliefs is not apposed to vaccination in general but vaccine ingredients? Or how they are MADE? Then the state again would be dictating that you couldn't get vaccines when your religious only prevents you from getting certain ones.. I don't think legally this would really stand..

For example. I do not believe in abortion, it goes against my religion and any vaccine that was made from fetal cell lines, MMR , Chicken Pox, polio and Hep A all of those would go against my religious and moral beliefs. But I am fine with HIB and DTap and some of the others because they aren't made in that way. So how can they say I can not get ANY, leaving my child susceptible to other diseases, when my religion only prohibits me from getting certain vaccines? I really don't understand where everyone is getting this All or nothing thing, I have not read it in any of the laws at all.

Also is it truly legal that your Dr can fire you for not getting vaccines? especially if you are taking a religious exemption? Doesn't that mean he is discriminating care based on a patients religious beliefs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The ingredient argument (fetal cell lines) doesn't work in New York if they decide they're going to fight you about it. I believe New York has the most strict religious exemption, and many New York school districts choose to fight parents, even to the point of going to court. New York considers the ingredient argument to be philosophical. I don't understand how they can say that to a very religious pro-life person, but they do.

It really depends on the individual state law, and how strictly school districts within the state interpret and enforce state law.

It's always a good idea to remove your children from the state's vaccine registry, if there is one. School districts cannot demand to see your child's medical records. But they can get vaccination records without permission if they are on the vaccine registry.

Any doctor can fire a patient for any reason, as long as they give enough notice so that a person has reasonable time to find another doctor.

#3 of 3 Old 06-29-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey1312 View Post

I have been reading here that it seems people think the religious exemption is "all or nothing". This makes no sense to me. I know that the wording of each state's laws is different but still how can they legally say that you can not get ANY vaccines because you have a religious exemption? I mean what if your religious or beliefs is not apposed to vaccination in general but vaccine ingredients? Or how they are MADE? Then the state again would be dictating that you couldn't get vaccines when your religious only prevents you from getting certain ones.. I don't think legally this would really stand..

For example. I do not believe in abortion, it goes against my religion and any vaccine that was made from fetal cell lines, MMR , Chicken Pox, polio and Hep A all of those would go against my religious and moral beliefs. But I am fine with HIB and DTap and some of the others because they aren't made in that way. So how can they say I can not get ANY, leaving my child susceptible to other diseases, when my religion only prohibits me from getting certain vaccines? I really don't understand where everyone is getting this All or nothing thing, I have not read it in any of the laws at all.

Also is it truly legal that your Dr can fire you for not getting vaccines? especially if you are taking a religious exemption? Doesn't that mean he is discriminating care based on a patients religious beliefs?

A religious exemption is all or nothing in many states because of the wording of the law; they require that you be against the practice of vaccination. Specific ingredients, preparation methods, etc fall under the category of moral or philosophical beliefs.

As far as doctors being allowed to "fire" patients... perhaps its just semantics, but the doctor is employed by the patient, thus they are actually quitting, not firing. But yes they can choose to no longer work for the patient if the patient chooses to go against medical advice.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page