When to start Vax in time for Kindergarten? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has only had his 2mo vaccinations. I do not plan to take him back until he is aT least over 1 1/2 yrs. old. Has anyone done the math and concluded [AT WHAT AGE MUST I START VACCINATIONS IN ORDER FOR HIM TO HAVE ALL OF THEM BY THE TIME HE GOES TO KINDERGARTEN.] (WITHOUT OVERLOADING HIS BODY)??? Help please. Thanks. selectivevax.gif delayedvax.gif

#2 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

have you talked to his dr?

#3 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Since you are in California, you don't need to get him caught up.  You can file a philosophical exemption even if you are selectively vaccinating.  My son is partially (mostly) vaccinated and I had no problem filing an exemption for him.

Just research the vaxes that you want him to get and talk to his doctor about a possible schedule if you want him to get caught up.  But know that there is no rush because of the exemption.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 9 Old 07-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

I also live in a state with philosophical exemptions.  I filed an exemption for the vaccines that we opted against. 

For those that we delayed, they mostly just care to see that the series is in progress.  For example, we've chosen to do IPV, which requires 4 doses at a minimum of 1 month apart.  The state requires that I get them within this minimum time frame, and they only care that we are in the process of doing it when she starts school; she doesn't need all four doses to get in.  Does that make sense?

Are you planning on getting all of the "required" vaxes or just some?  Once you figure out which you want (of all, if you go that route), call your doctor, ask to speak with the nurse, and work out a catch-up schedule.  The nurse at our doctor's office was really helpful and wrote out a catch-up schedule for me. 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 9 Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by BabiiAdriian View Post
 (WITHOUT OVERLOADING HIS BODY)??? Help please. Thanks. selectivevax.gif delayedvax.gif

Nobody, not even your son's doctor, knows which vaccines, how many, and how close together your son can handle without problems.

Vaccinate him for the diseases you think are more dangerous than the vaccine. In your decision making, consider the chance of your son getting the disease (for example, nobody has caught polio in the U.S. since 1979).

California allows you to opt-out of all or some of the vaccines. You just sign the back of this form for school. http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Documents/pm286b.pdf There's no reason at all to vaccinate before kindergarten, unless you want to.

Here is the CDC's catch-up schedule. It is very aggressive, meaning it allows vaccine doses to be given very close together.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf I can't imagine you'd be comfortable with that, but at least it tells you the minimum intervals between vaccine doses that your doctor would allow.

#6 of 9 Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM

The CDC has a new tool for creating a customized catch-up schedule, so you can figure out how many doses of each he would need to complete each series http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/scheduler/catchup.htm  If you don't mind extra office visits, you can just do one dose every couple of months. Just be sure to check how many office visits your insurance covers each year, or you may need to co-pay for "shots-only" visits.

#7 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

That is awesome! I feel so much more relaxed about the situation. Thanks. I will look into it! om.gif

#8 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am not planning on getting him ALL of the vaccinations. Your comment is appreciated. notes.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You so much for the links. I deeply appreciate it!  Rainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page