DT Vax question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-23-2011, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
kkd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am considering giving my 25 mo DD the DT vax this week, she has not had any yet.  On the CDC website, it lists 2 different DT vaxs - Sanofi and Massachusetts.  But, when I went to the FDA website to read the detailed vax insert, I can only locate Sanofi.  Anyone have info about the Massachusetts Labs version - it is still available?  Looking at the adjuvants lists, it potentially looks like a better option, so I wanted to read more about it.  Thanks

#2 of 7 Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The only MassBiologics vaccine listed on the FDA's website is a Td, not a DT vaccine. It is for people ages 7 and older.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM164127.pdf

Is that the one you saw on the CDC's website? It also has more aluminum than the Sanofi Pasteur DT vaccine. Both vaccines contain mercury.

#3 of 7 Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
kkd

There is a Td Massachusetts on the CDC website listing, but I double checked and it definitely also has a DT Massachusetts, the document showing the two DT options is dated as of March 2010:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/B/excipient-table-2.pdf 

By mercury, are you referring to the trace amounts of thimerosal?  I hadn't considered whether the DT with trace thimerosal would potentially be more or less harm than the DTaP without trace thimerosal.  The DTaP contains other ingredients though too which I'm not too keen on...the DT (Massachusetts) appears like the best option in looking at ingredients...but I'm trying to determine whether that vaccine is actually available since I can't find it listed elsewhere.  I'll call my ped's office tomorrow and ask them what they have or what they can order.  Our appt is on Wed so we can also wait and ask the dr, we don't have to get the shot on Wed during our appt.

#4 of 7 Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkd View Post
I hadn't considered whether the DT with trace thimerosal would potentially be more or less harm than the DTaP without trace thimerosal.  The DTaP contains other ingredients though too which I'm not too keen on...

Thimerosal should never be combined with aluminum, because the two together are so much more dangerous than by themselves. I would be very concerned with even 0.3 mcg mercury combined with aluminum. Is that worse than DTaP without mercury? I don't know, and I'm sure glad I'm not forced to make that choice. Sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive--I know this is the selective vaccinating forum.

#5 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
kkd

No offense taken, I appreciate the insight.  I've done quite a bit of reading about vaccines, even though DD hasn't had any, and I haven't read anything about the potential interaction between aluminum and thimerosal.  There is always more to learn!  If you have any good articles on that specific topic, please feel free to post.  I will do some research online later tonight if I get a chance.  Thanks

#6 of 7 Old 07-25-2011, 09:24 PM
#7 of 7 Old 07-26-2011, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
kkd

Wow - that was fascinating - thank you so much for posting!   I will do more reading about the DTaP which does not have thimerosal - I was thinking of avoiding the pertussis component, but that might not be as potentially harmful as the alum+thim in the DT vax.  Haven't read much about DTaP since I wasn't planning on giving it to her.  I will also forward that link to a few others who I know would be interested in the research.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page