Hep A and meningitis? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-24-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I have two teens who have been vaxed all their lives on a slow schedule and we have skipped a few things ..... flu shots, Guardisil, and a couple of others but lately the doctor's offices seem to be pushing these two. What's the deal?

Isn't Hep A for folks who travel to central Asia and Thailand?

Isn't meningitis recommended for college aged kids on the east coast? I'm on the west coast, BTW.

I've flat out denied my kids get these but the office keeps trying.
#2 of 5 Old 08-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hep A is transmitted via fecal matter, even minute amounts, hence is more predominant in less sanitary environments. Just this week there was a case in the news about an Olive Garden employee contracting Hep A and public alerts went out to get potentially exposed persons vaccinated though so far they've not found out if anyone was infected.

I got Hep A prior to there being a vaccine and the only unpleasant part was being separated from my peers as I did not feel sick. I believe in some cases and in adults it is more serious. Also, as in the Olive Garden case, if there is an outbreak or potential exposure you can still get the vaccine or gamma globulin shot w/in 14 days after exposure when symptoms develop, ie, you do not need to be vaccinated a few weeks before exposure to build up immunity, though of course you may not know when you have been exposed. Prior to the Hep A vaccine, annual gamma globulin shots were used to protect against it.

I think that the age at which Guardasil is given I would let my child choose. Similarly for meningitis, with more encouragement if they were entering a high risk situation.

#3 of 5 Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amia View Post

I think that the age at which Guardasil is given I would let my child choose.

No, that vaccine is dangerous!

http://www.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978151723
http://www.koat.com/r/23190530/detail.html
#4 of 5 Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 AM

OK, I guess a 12 year old can't weigh the information, but more what I meant was, they should be informed of why they aren't getting it, and know they are not protected against it, and eventually it will be their decision. For that matter, kids that do get it should know they still have to protect themselves from STDs.

Quote:

#5 of 5 Old 08-21-2011, 12:45 AM

Meningitis can happen and does happen on either coast. It spread like wildfire in close groups like camps, dorm etc.

My son had the vaccine.

Hep A and Hep B are far more spread than people think it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page