2mo old visit HIb/ Prevnar/ DTAP?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello All :)

The 2 month appt is near approaching for us. I am not looking for debates just info love.gif We are selective/ Delaying vaccines. We are not doing Hep B and Rotovirus...I am waiting on Polio so that just leaves hib/ prevnar and dtap. My ped says that since I want to spread them out to wait on dtap. He said i should do hib/prevnar  but that these two are the ones that have the greater risk of side effect...so I have decided to only do 1 at a time. However, I cannot decided which one to do first. The schedule will be to do these 3 at alternating appts with dtap being the last to start. Would you do hib or prevnar first? Why? Can someone tell me which one of these 2 has the greater side effect risks or more serious side effects. I keep thinking I will do hib first because it is the more serious dieses from my understanding however, I hear that prevnar is more common...my deciding factor I think is going to be which one is the safer then the other. Is there any benefit to waiting uptil 3 mo or 4 mos to start them instead of starting at 2mo. I read that these 2 are most common to hit babies under 6mos so it wouldn't make sense to do the vaccine if I planned to wait until that time? Let me know if this info is false

other senario? Would you ever give hib/prevnar together at one visit? I really dont think I feel comfortable doing this but, I was just wondering what people think about it and if splitting them up by 1 month is going to make that big of a difference.

Thank you!! Megan

#2 of 5 Old 07-26-2011, 07:06 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Since you're delaying, you may want to think about delaying all vaxes until after 6 mo.  Before then, the liver isn't fully formed and can't process the toxins.  Are you breastfeeding?  That is providing a lot of protection to your child right now. 

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#3 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 12:48 PM

HiB is actually the least reactive one. Prevnar is quite reactive and DTaP is one of the most reactive, concerning shot for most parents. I can't give you any advice on what to do, we delay until 24 months and start with HiB then (just one is needed), I don't do Prevnar, we do DTaP after HiB with titer checks to see how many we actually need.

#4 of 5 Old 07-27-2011, 06:33 PM

I believe all three are important for an infant, as they have less resistance to these infections, and are at highest risk for complications. Hib does have a lower rate of side effects than Prevnar, but the thing with Prevnar is, if you delay it too long and don't do the 4 dose series, antibody titers are lower (ie. less protection) with fewer doses. Personally, I felt comfortable giving them together because in Prevnar's clinical trials the vaccine was administer concomitantly with the other vaccines given on schedule at 2, 4 and 6 months.

#5 of 5 Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replys. :) I have another question about passive immunity. I am breastfeeding and recieved the dtap vaccine when dd was 1 week (dh is way mainstream and frantic about vaccines...getting it myself was the only way he would consider a delayed schedule) Would the antibodies my body created transfer through bfing enough to give good protection against whooping cough for dd?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page