in CA: if I do a Personal Beliefs Exemption, is it better to say we've had no vax or show our partial vax record? Also school says doctor needs to sign something.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi- I'm new here and I've seen this question before, but haven't seen a definitive answer on it, and I need to know in the next 2 weeks- please help!

I am in California (Santa Clara County). My daughter is starting a "Junior Kindergarten" program on 8/29/11 that is a private school. It's owned by the same company as the daycare we've had her at forever, and there I've never provided her vax record- just signed the personal exemption form. the original daycare/preschool has never questioned me on it, but this new school includes elementary grades and I just have a feeling they'll be more "official" about it. She is partially vaxed and I plan to continue to selectively/delay vax going forward.

My question: if I do a Personal Beliefs Excemption, is it better to say we've had no vax or show our partial vax record? I know in the event of an outbreak, if they don't have proof of a certain vax they may require her to stay home (very unlikely, I think- but in that case, I could then produce the vax record to prove she's vaxed against that specific thing, right?) I've heard some people say that in some states it's all or nothing or that they hassle you if you claim this exemption with a partial vax record, OR that if you then later choose to add more vaxes, it nullifies the personal beliefs exemption- has anyone had that happen in CA?? I know the CA form SAYS you can refuse "all or some" due to personal beliefs, but I'd like to hear from people who've already done this whether they recommend telling the school I've partially vaxed or if that causes more problems than just signing the form and not providing the vax records (i.e., implying you've done no vax at all)??

The school sent us this, but I haven't seen the "health form" they're referring to- it sounds like it's in addition to the vax record and that your dr. has to sign it- in which case, she would definitely put down that my daughter is partially vaxed. Has anyone else had to fill out a "health form"?? I'm going to call to get a copy so I can tell you exactly what's on it:

"State regulations require that schools have information on file that show all enrolled students are up-to-date with nationally recommended preventive health services.  This information ensures that your child is protected from infectious diseases that can be prevented by immunization and that they have had the tests to find any problems that may interfere with learning.  We must have the following health and immunization form from your student’s physician or certified pediatric nurse practitioner before school begins on August 29th. 

Before you give the form to your child’s usual source of health care, you should complete the information you already know; name, birth date, address, etc.  A licensed physician or certified pediatric nurse practitioner must sign the form that documents that that your student has received the recommended services.  All parts of the form must be completed and be legible.  Forms must be returned to us in person, or they can be mailed or faxed to our office."

Another slight complication is I'm now divorced, my ex is pro-vax, and I'm worried he might say something to them (unlikely, but worried anyway) or they may ask him about it to confirm if I don't give them her record and they want to ask him why she's not vaxed- he may say "yes of course she is- only partially" and then get on my case about why she's not fully vaxed....You can't help me w/that probably, but it's a risk if I don't tell them she's partially vaxed and he denies that.

thanks for any and all help you can give- I really appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 12:30 PM

My son is partially vaxed and I filed a personal beliefs exemption for him.  It hasn't been a problem with his public school.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#3 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Either way, you should have no problems at all in California. The worst that can happen is that the office staff is misinformed and has to research the law. But that's completely their problem, or you could choose to help them out a bit by showing them the law. There is absolutely no risk of your exemption being denied either way.

If your child has the complete series of any of the required vaccines, you should indicate that, so there is no possible exclusion from school during an outbreak. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. However, for California I would lean toward showing the vaccines, because there will be the form for the doctor to fill out, and it may be awkward to ask the doctor to leave off the vaccines.

Another thing to consider is if you think you might move to a different state while your child is still in school. New York law allows schools districts to do "sincerety testing" if they want to, which is very invasive questioning about your religious beliefs against vaccines. That might go a little easier if you can say that you never vaccinated. School vaccine records usually follow the child from state to state. Moving to New York would be the worst case scenario in terms of having vaccines on the school record. But still, you could say that your religious beliefs against vaccines started after you gave those initial vaccines.

#4 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

Either way, you should have no problems at all in California. The worst that can happen is that the office staff is misinformed and has to research the law. But that's completely their problem, or you could choose to help them out a bit by showing them the law. There is absolutely no risk of your exemption being denied either way.

If your child has the complete series of any of the required vaccines, you should indicate that, so there is no possible exclusion from school during an outbreak. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. However, for California I would lean toward showing the vaccines, because there will be forms for the doctor to fill out, and it may be awkward to ask the doctor to leave off the vaccines.

My doctor never had to fill out a form - I just had to sign the exemption form from the school district website, which I think is the back of the "blue" card you can get from the school.  My doc didn't have to do anything.

#5 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 12:54 PM

This is the form for childcare and kindergarten.

http://www.ccc.caltech.edu/forms/2010enrollment/PhysiciansReport.pdf

This is the form for 1st grade.

http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/formsandpubs/forms/forms/childmedsvcforms/pm171a(bi).pdf

(Cut and paste the link to get it to work).

You'll see on the bottom of the form that there is a waiver you can fill out if you don't want to turn in the form.

#6 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

thanks you guys! No possibility of ever moving to NY, I don't think. My family is here and so is ex-H, so highly unlikely.

I was surprised by the doctor signed form because we've been in daycare/preschool since she was 5 months old and never had to submit anything like that (this new school requires an oral health exam form from the dentist, too!) I do see where you can check the box to not have the doc fill out the form- I'll wait and see what their form looks like to decide. I don't feel comfortable (and I don't think she'd agree) asking her to fill out everything but the part about vaccines. And I don't want to unduly anger anyone at the school who then becomes difficult to deal with if they don't like what I'm doing b/c I decline everything (no idea what their philosophy on selective vax is- and it's one thing that it's my right; another thing how they treat us when they know...), but I also think that once I put something on file with a physician's signature, if it ever comes back to haunt me it will have been better not to have had anything official on file at all... On the other hand, it will make me look suspicious, too, if I don't file a vax record and then down the road there's an outbreak and I suddenly come forward with her record to keep her in class... I'm leaning towards telling them what she has, though, but still not 100% sure.

One other question- I found the CAIR "decline to share info request" form online for the CA vaccine registry. I don't know if we're in the registry or not, but I don't want us to be- has anyone filled out and turned in this form and are you able to verify later that your child has been removed from it? And does anyone know if this is something schools even have the time to routinely look up? If they do, it would also look bad if I hadn't submitted her vax record and they found out she was partially vaxed... I don't necessarily trust organizations like that to actually remove your name if you request it, but maybe I'm being paranoid...

thanks!

#7 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 06:14 PM

Hi.  I am the California State Director for the National Vaccine Information Center.  I just found your post and thought I would chime in.  One, you may use your PBE (philosophical beliefs exemption) at any time, for any vaccine, you choose to do so.  You do not need to have a physician sign off on ANY waiver form, save a medical waiver (if valid).  ALL CA school districts should have on file the blue waiver forms within which to use for checking off what vaccines your child has received OR, on the back side of the form, your philosophical beliefs exemption information.  

In lieu of using the California Department of Public Health waiver form for your PBE, you may opt to use your own Letter of Statement.  Simply state you are philosophically opposed to vaccinations (or to any one in particular you do not feel your child needs), Sign/Date it, and ensure it is placed within your student's permanent school record.  The language contained within the Code/Statute which provide you the ability to write your own Letter of Statement, is as follows.  

I really do apologize for not seeing some of these inquires over here at Mothering!  I've been swamped with queries from MANY parents about our new pertussis booster mandate.  FYI for those of you over here who reside in CA:  Our state exemptions are applicable to the new pertussis booster mandate, as well.  Again, if you are declining this vaccine for your child, you may use the new blue waiver form (CDPH 8261) for the new mandate, OR write your own letter of statement.

Best,

-Kim Kovalchik-Ii

California State Director - National Vaccine Information Center

Cal Health & Saf Code § 120365 (2006)

§ 120365. Letter or affidavit stating beliefs opposed to immunization; Temporary exclusion from school

Immunization of a person shall not be required for admission to a school or other institution listed in Section 120335 if the parent or guardian or adult who has assumed responsibility for his or her care and custody in the case of a minor, or the person seeking admission if an emancipated minor, files with the governing authority a letter or affidavit stating that the immunization is contrary to his or her beliefs. However, whenever there is good cause to believe that the person has been exposed to one of the communicable diseases listed in subdivision (a) of Section 120325, that person may be temporarily excluded from the school or institution until the local health officer is satisfied that the person is no longer at risk of developing the disease.

Bokonon likes this.
#8 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Kim- thanks so much! But I need to clarify one thing you wrote:

" ALL CA school districts should have on file the blue waiver forms within which to use for checking off what vaccines your child has received OR, on the back side of the form, your philosophical beliefs exemption information"

Are you saying that if I check off what vaccines she had, I cannot sign the philosophical belief waiver (or suggesting that I don't check any vaccines she's had IF I sign the waiver??)? I didn't think that was the case, but you put that big "OR" in there...

thanks!

#9 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvy6 View Post

Kim- thanks so much! But I need to clarify one thing you wrote:

" ALL CA school districts should have on file the blue waiver forms within which to use for checking off what vaccines your child has received OR, on the back side of the form, your philosophical beliefs exemption information"

Are you saying that if I check off what vaccines she had, I cannot sign the philosophical belief waiver (or suggesting that I don't check any vaccines she's had IF I sign the waiver??)? I didn't think that was the case, but you put that big "OR" in there...

thanks!

Not Kim, but that was not my experience.  I submitted DS's vaccine record and signed the philosophical beliefs waiver.  I didn't have to check off the vaccines he's had.  I registered him for his new school in May, in the same district he had been enrolled in last year with the same exemption form.

#10 of 11 Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 PM

I'm sure she didn't mean that. You either need to have all the required vaccines listed on the front of the Blue Card, or you need to sign the back. You sign the back if you are missing one or more or all the vaccines required on the front.

#11 of 11 Old 08-24-2011, 01:43 PM

To clarify:  Parents may use their philosophical beliefs exemption for ANY vaccine they choose to do so; you may selectively vaccinate your child and exempt them out of other vaccines; you may also exempt out of any and all vaccines and use your exemption that way, as well.  We don't vaccinate our son, so I've not had to deal with the issue as to selective vaccination.  I would imagine, in the case of selective vaccination, that you would simply sign off on the front of the state waiver form, those vaccines your child has had, and then use your philosophical exemption on the back form for those that you do not choose your child to receive.  

-Kim

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page