first measles vax for 13 yr old? Asthma related - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thinking about starting selective vax with my unvaxed 13 yr. old dd. As the years have gone by I have begun to change my mind about no vax, especially since she has asthma and illness seems to hit her harder because of that. My current concern is: We saw her asthma doc last week and he wants her to go on Flovent. The side effects warn that contracting measles while on this drug can be serious and even fatal. So my questions are - do I get her the MMR right away? Is there a just-measles shot? (not MMR). How long before immunity kicks in? I was vaxed for measles as a child (including boosters) and got measles anyway! Feedback appreciated, thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Any reason you do not want her to get the rubella portion of the MMR in addition to the measles?  

I do not vax, but will talk about and consider rubella with my daughters in their mid teens as rubella is not something I want them to contract when pregnant.

Here is a link on single measles, mumps, rubella vaccines...it looks like they may or may not be available now, but should be available shortly.  Good luck in your decisions and search.

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/vaccines/return-separate-measles-mumps-rubella-vaccines-planned-2011

#3 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

You are right about the rubella vax being a consideration for girls. I was not specifically trying to avoid it, just solely focusing on measles. Good point, it would probably make sense to get her the MMR rather than just measles if that is even available.

#4 of 5 Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The only reason measles is specifically mentioned is because there is a vaccine for it. Chickenpox is also mentioned, for the same reason. But the fact is, there are many diseases that will be dangerous for her while she is on Flovent. http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_flovent_hfa.pdf

#5 of 5 Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 AM

^^I would think the reason measles and chicken pox are specifically mentioned is because they are respiratory infections; ie.more likely to result in complications for those with chronic respiratory diseases, particularly because steroidal meds weaken the immune system.

OP: following the catch-up schedule, she could get 2 doses of MMR, 4 weeks apart. 95% of vaccinees are immune after the first dose, 99% are immune after the second dose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page