Having a hard time deciding on Prevnar - thoughts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-23-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My babe is a bit over 9 months.  He had one shot of Prevnar at 3 months and is "over due"  on his second and third shots.  (We delay and selectively vaccinate anyway.)  Our pediatrician has no problems with us picking and choosing (or declining) vaccinations.

I am incredibly ambivalent about this one.  It's summer time, we're all healthy, I'm thinking this is one we could skip.  But then again cold months and the inside lifestyle are around the corner...

Anyone care to share their thoughts?  Why you chose to decline, or why you chose this one? 

I appreciate it!  

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 06:03 AM

I chose this one because the strains in the newer version of the Prevnar protects against more strains, several of which have become antibiotic resistant. It also reduces carriage of the pneumococcal bacteria, which also protects others who are at risk for more serious pneumococcal infections.

#3 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jugs!  I'm stuck on the whole strains situation.  I know this vax is a little "junkier" if you will and kids have more side effects compared to other shots they get around this time (per the Vaccine Book).  I feel the need to balance that with how much protection my DS will actually receive from this shot.  If it's only protection from a few strains skip it, but if it's protection from quite a few strains I'm more apt to choose this one.  I'll bring this up with his doctor.

Thanks again,

T :)

Blessed mom (11.10) and wife (5.01-met/12.07-married).  HI!  nocirc.gif  namaste.gif  

#4 of 4 Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 AM

My kids all had the same reaction: low-grade fever, injection site pain, crabby for a few days. It was tough for them, but in comparison to the pain of pneumococcal disease, its worth it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page