Reaction to DTAP - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother and I both react very badly to the newer formulation of DTAP. We were both vaccinated a few years ago after the change, and had very severe swelling, pain, and fever that caused us to go to the ER for treatment. Both of us were told to NOT get the shot again, because we were on the edge of a serious reaction.

DD is 5 and is due for her vaccinations for school. We put off the vaccinations at the 4 year appointment, so she is due for DTAP. I am concerned about a reaction, though. Both times she has had it, she had a low-grade fever, pain, and was visibly uncomfortable for a few days after. Because her grandma and I both had progressively worse reactions to tetanus boosters that got MUCH worse with the new formulation, I don't know if I should allow a booster. I'd appreciate any advice.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#2 of 5 Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 AM

Only you can make the decision but if you want my 2 cents worth then I would have to say, don't do it. I've heard of a lot of kids reacting badly to the older they got and with each extra dose they received. I started at 12 mos. with dd1 with 1 dose of DTaP and I did go back for a 2nd and 3rd dose every 4-6 mos. but that was the only type of vaccine she received and I stopped at 3 doses because while she didn't react with a fever, she did come down with a cold and cough within a of couple of weeks EVERY time she received a dose. Now I know kids can get colds frequently but I was a major germaphobe and never took her anywhere. shrug.gif But that's just me I am extremely particular about everything. smile.gif Hopefully someone else can give you some more guidance than I can. 

#3 of 5 Old 08-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Imo, you should hold off until you are completely comfortable with your decision.  You can always go in to get it later, but you can't take it back once its done.

#4 of 5 Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM

My son had a reaction to his 5th DTaP and was sick for months afterwards.  You are in California, so you can file a philosophical exemption with your child's school.  Personally, I wouldn't give a child that vaccine with your family history.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#5 of 5 Old 08-31-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I was thinking of getting the other two that she is due for and does not react to, but this one was bugging me.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page