Insurance harassment? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-08-2011, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It started with a postcard in the mail- a colorful flyer about vaxing your new baby. I figured it was probably sent to all new parents by our health insurance. We're selective/delaying vaxing- basically making sure he's on track for school, but spreading the shots out. I didn't pay much attention to the postcard. We have a plan, I'm comfortable with our decision. Our family doctor is on board.

Then another letter came, with a similar flyer, just a few weeks ago. This letter specifically said that it was sent because the insurance company noticed we had missed one or more shots. Ugh. Well, mail is easy enough to ignore. It's annoying they're keeping track. I mean, it's costing them less, right? Also, the flyer was sponsored by a vaccine maker- so it looks more like an ad than something legitimately informational.

Just now, I got off the phone with my husband. Our insurance company made an automated call letting us know we have missed one or more shots. As DH said "mail is one thing, but if they keep calling..." This is going to get REALLY annoying. I had no idea they would keep track of this for us, and I don't want their "helpful reminders".

Anyone else experience this? Does it stop, or will it continue? Is there a specific vaccine that we missed that's triggering these calls, that the company is specifically concerned about? Is there a way to get on their "no call" list?

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

You need to call them ASAP and stop the harassment.. most ins co's have an "immunization tracker" to track your childs shots..automated postcards and etc, and  you can opt out of this by calling them and letting them know you dont' want to take part in that program.  Also tell them you have a good lawyer, and you will call your state's dep't on insurance as well, if they choose to continue the harassment. 

Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for this tip!

Jo - WOHM to E 12/26/10, Wife to SAHD DH.

cd.gifslingboy.giftoddler.gifbelly.gif

Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Meh. I don't consider it any more "harassing" than the reminders I get for dental check-ups, pap smears or making sure my house number is visible. We have Blue Cross/Blue Shield, and we got the same automated card and phone call right around 8 months old for my two younger children.

User Tag List