A FIFTH dose of IPV??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

DD has been on a catch-up schedule for the polio vaccine.  The good news is that she has had all four doses.  The bad news is that I think her doctor's office may have had it wrong.  Here's what we did.

Doses 1-2: Waited one month.

Doses 2-3: Waited 1.5 months

Doses 3-4: Waited 1.5 months

Apparently, according to the CDC catch-up schedule, we were supposed to have waited 6 months between doses 3-4.  Does anyone know the reasoning behind this sixth-month lapse?  Is the vaccine somehow ineffective if we did it wrong, meaning that we have to do a FIFTH dose?

A nurse at the clinic gave me an email with a vax schedule, but I've since lost the hand-out (actually a print-out of an email that she sent to my doctor), and don't remember any mention of the sixth-month gap between those last doses.  That and.....you'd think they'd have this catch-up schedule in my chart and should've said something.......right?

I'll call the office tomorrow, but sometimes I find that you people here are more on the ball, lol!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How old is she? If the 4th dose was given before her 4th birthday, then a 5th dose (a booster) is recommended anyway.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

She's four and had her fourth dose after her fourth birthday.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 10-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The reason the fourth dose is supposed to be at least 6 months after the third is based on seroconversion rates; getting a dose too soon may not create the desired antibody level. But I'm going to venture to say that another dose will not be needed, if for no other reason than she is at least 4 years old.

User Tag List