Chicken Pox - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 10-05-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have an oportunity to expose unvaccinated 2yo DS to chicken pox(well shingles, but as I understand it they are the same virus). Is he too young(do you have any resources you could share)? I'd like him to get immunity from the disease rather than the vaccine, but with most kids being vaccinated I don't know when this opportunity will present itself again. And if he hasn't had CP at some point before 8 or so I think I'd go ahead and get the vax b/c I know CP can become much more severe with age. Has anyone done this before? It feels very strange/wrong to intentionally expose my guy to an illness and hope he gets it. I thought I would jump at this opportunity, but now I'm not so sure, though I know the alternative is to have him vaxed later on and I don't like that either.

#2 of 2 Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think 2 yrs is not too young. No references for you, just past reading and family experiences.

My sister had CP around 20  mos.  It was very mild for her, but enough of a bother that she was not comfortable in diapers. Turns out she was very easily potty trained while she had CP.

Younger than 1, I would not feel comfortable with an intentional exposure. Between 15mos and 4 yrs I think is ideal.  The older they are, the more they tend to react/have a worse case.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page