Vitamin K Shot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-01-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 5 weeks out from having my little man and am not liking at all what i see about the Vitamin K Shot and it's link to lukemia (sp?).

I've heard and seen that a mother who is breast feeding can supplement herself and get Vitamin K into their child that way. The only thing is my pediatrician will delay a circumcision(sp?) for a week if we don't get the Vitamin K shot.

Any thoughts???

#2 of 9 Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Don't circumcise?

http://mothering.com/health/circumcision

ASusan likes this.

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#3 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

He is going to be circumcised(sp). That is a choice my husband and I have made. I was wanting to know how people felt about the Vitamin K shot.
#4 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM

Vitamin K assists with clotting,  If you are choosing to have a surgical procedure performed on your newborn I would imagine that a vitamin K shot would be of importance...in order to prevent your DS from excessive blood loss.  Why don't you ask your ob if they will perform a circ w/o vitamin K--they may not.

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#5 of 9 Old 11-02-2011, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately my OB won't do the procedure shot or not so we have to get the pediatrician to do it. I can do it delayed and provide DS with the Vitamin K the way I'd like to. My only hold up about the shot is it raised the likelyhood of Lukemia by 10%-25%. I can provide DS with Vitamin K by supplementing myself while breast feeding the only down fall is having to delay the circ.

#6 of 9 Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM

Can your son have Vitamin K orally? 3 doses

It's pretty common here in Australia

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/ch38_vitamin_k_brochure_2010.pdf

Weeze

#7 of 9 Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by APierson View Post

He is going to be circumcised(sp). That is a choice my husband and I have made. I was wanting to know how people felt about the Vitamin K shot.

You got the spelling correct, but the fact that you weren't sure suggests that you may not have done a lot of research on it. I just hope you won't be one more person to post here. http://www.mothering.com/community/t/112410/if-you-regret-circumcising-your-son-s-please-post-here

But anyway, yes, circumcision should be delayed for 8 days if your son doesn't get the vitamin K shot. Otherwise, he will have an increased risk of bleeding to death.

For babies with normal births who don't experience surgery afterwards, there is no need for the vitamin K shot.

#8 of 9 Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Breastmilk contains the normal levels of VIt. K needed by a newborn, and it is obtained in gradual dosages, versus all at once in the vitamin K injection. The large dose increases cellular production and accounts for the increase of leukemia cases.

Regarding the possibility of circumcision surgical complications, I don't know if additional vit K or clotting agents are reccomended.

#9 of 9 Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 AM

APierson~  Just to give you a different viewpoint-- that small study that claimed a link was completed in the early 90s.  It was a small sample size with poor methods.  It has been disproven.  Here is a link to an updated abstract:  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/(SICI)1096-911X(200006)34:6%3C434::AID-MPO11%3E3.0.CO;2-X/abstract  I went to a college that really focuses on research, so I am very comfortable with evaluating and making decisions based on science (I believe in science :-)  Anyhow, I will be giving my baby Vit K after evaluating all the research myself.  Just my $.02.

Me = Healer, yogini, lactivist, step-mom, and wife to my dream come true joy.gif So grateful-- baby #1 April 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page