should 9yo get chicken pox or the vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  My just turned 9 year old has had selective vaccinations.  I opted not to get Varicella, planning instead to expose her to chicken pox, but we've never had the opportunity; so recently I've been planning to take her for that vaccination.  Now a friend's younger kids have it, and I'm trying to decide if I should take her over to get exposed.

The idea of missing a week of 4th grade is intimidating, and I'm worried about how difficult having CP would be for a 9 year old; but balancing that against the benefit of life long immunity.

any and all thoughts and advice would be super welcome!

Also:  I don't recall ever having CP, and my mom doesn't remember me having it, but my younger sibs did and I worked in a daycare in the 90's when a bunch of kids had it and never got it...but since I'm unsure, should i get tested myself before exposing my kid, if that's what i decide to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2011, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie_sabot View Post

Hello!  My just turned 9 year old has had selective vaccinations.  I opted not to get Varicella, planning instead to expose her to chicken pox, but we've never had the opportunity; so recently I've been planning to take her for that vaccination.  Now a friend's younger kids have it, and I'm trying to decide if I should take her over to get exposed.

The idea of missing a week of 4th grade is intimidating, and I'm worried about how difficult having CP would be for a 9 year old; but balancing that against the benefit of life long immunity.

any and all thoughts and advice would be super welcome!

Also:  I don't recall ever having CP, and my mom doesn't remember me having it, but my younger sibs did and I worked in a daycare in the 90's when a bunch of kids had it and never got it...but since I'm unsure, should i get tested myself before exposing my kid, if that's what i decide to do?

if you worked around kids who had it, your siblings had it, chances are very good you have immunity to it. Test yourself if that's what makes you more comfortable.  Would i expose my kids to CP instead of the vax? Absolutely.  And I did and they had a mild case-only a few spots on each of them..they were more cranky and achy than anything. This was also back in the 90's when the vax was new and parents didn't want it.. it has only been in the last 10-15yrs that states have mandated it on the childhood schedule and all the hoopla has ensued since then in the new generation of parents who got the shot instead.   

Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 PM

Assuming she is in good health, I would expose her. 

If you give her the vax - how long is the immunity and how effective is the vax?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:30 PM

I would expose her. I had CP at 9yrs old and while I know everyone is different, it wasn't the end of the world. Yes, it was unpleasant but not any more than any other illness. As long as she is otherwise healthy, I would expose her. 

Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 PM

is there a "best age" to get chicken pox and it do the least ?

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

User Tag List