Is there an age you would vax for chickenpox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My two younger children are not vaccinated and we've always been a tiny bit worried about it, because my husband (33) has never had it and I've read it can be much more severe in adults.  The youngest are 3 and 6, so I have some time before I really start asking myself this question, but looking forward, I'm wondering if there is an age that anyone else will vax if their child has not naturally acquired the disease yet. I'm not particularly concerned with rare complications but with the possibility of the illness being severe in say, a tween or teenager. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Once they are teens, or close to it. I'm hoping we can catch it before then, but the vax will be on our radar at that point if we aven't.

Wife to an amazing man love.gif, mommy to 3 wild dudes: ds1 (5/23/05 @ 30 weeks), ds2 (3/5/09) hbac.gif, and ds3 (9/26/10) hbac.gif. Part time librarianread.gif, full time mommysupermod.gif, occasional chef and maid.

#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
#4 of 6 Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 PM

I went to a pox party with my sister when I was about 7 and she was 4, my sister has a cp scar on her forehead, which is my mother's only regret for purposely exposing us (before vax existed). 

I haven't really decided where I stand between purposeful exposure vs. let's wait and see... I think if you wait long enough into the teen years, your kids can/should give their input, it becomes more their decision. 

We live in a country where it is mostly not vaccinated for still. I was exposed to chicken pox during my pregnancy, someone living in our house (adult - who it was no big deal for - didn't even really realize what he had for several days!)... so was glad for the natural immunity.

#5 of 6 Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM

If my kids haven't gotten chicken pox by 8 or 10 I will.  I really want them to get chicken pox.  I never did and I was supposed to get a booster before I got pregnant again.  Yeah that didn't happen and now I'm terrified I'm going to catch chicken pox while I'm pregnant.  I really want to spare my kids that.

obstruct livery vehicles

#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM

The teen years- my first two were vaxed as toddlers (and at the time the promise was it would be a shot deal),  Well, now the vax immunity appears to wear off.  Plus, my now 10 yr old got it  about a year after the vax (confirmed).  So the vax didn't even work for him-although now he DOES have lifelong immunity.  The youngest will get vaxed in his early teens if he hasn't been able to get it by then.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page