Formula fed baby, international travel and selective vax question. Please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-20-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 11 weeks old. She is not breastfed because im a breast cancer survivor. She was born in Italy. She's scheduled for vaccines on Thursday. I return to the states the following tuesday.

We've decided to only do either the DTaP shot, or the hib and pneumococal. I'm having a hard time deciding based on having to take her on an airplane.

Which shots do you think would be more important since she's going to be on a plane with people from many countries? I'm worried about her not being breastfed and what disease she's more susceptible to so I want to make sure I make the safest choice.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Even if she gets one dose, its not enough to really provide much, if any, immunity at all....she's most susceptible to the common cold and flu, imo. Imo,  I also think vaxing her right before getting on a plane is not a good idea either..the vaccines deplete the immune system, and would make her MORE susceptible to catching whatever is on the plane...

Old 02-20-2012, 08:27 AM

Can you wait to vax her in the US? I agree with emmy, the vax that close to travel will have little protection for anything vpd on plane, and also if she were to have any reaction, even the "normal" fussiness, that's not going to make getting ready to travel any easier.

Do you have a sling? Maybe keep her in that on the plane, close to you, I have flown intl with my DD at young ages many times. She did get a cold once when we had a little girl behind us coughing incessantly for 10 hrs, but she was 14 mos. I don't know, maybe a sling and can drape a gauzy fabric over your shoulder/sling to cover her face a little if there are lots of people coughing/sneezing near you? Don't really know how much that would help... but maybe something?

Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Gosh, I didn't even think about the vax lowering her immunity :/. Tired brain here. You guys are right. And yes, I can wait until I get to to US. I have an Ergo that I plan to put her in on the plan.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)

I agree with the others--wait til you're in the US, well-settled (she might be exposed to something on the plane which would take several weeks to incubate--chicken pox can take up to 3 weeks to appear after exposure), etc.

Then--ONE vax at a time.  They've never been properly studied for safety given in groups. Make sure she is not vitamin-D deficient, as that can prevent her from fighting off viruses AND can prevent her from excreting the heavy metals (aluminum, for example) in the vaccines.

The flu shot package insert says "safety and efficacy not determined in pediatric populations."  Recent research by the Cochrane Collaborative determined that it is, basically, useless.  That's one you can skip! (And the ones given in Australia and Europe have caused many cases of pediatric narcolepsy.)

Old 02-21-2012, 09:15 AM

I agree with the PPs. Mostly on airplanes and airports what I worry about are regular germs for which no vaccines exist anyways. I always wore my DS at airports, let nobody ever touch him, I do sanitize the seats, bathrooms whatever we touch and wash our hands all the time! I traveled to Europe several times with an unvaccinated baby and toddler. I did take those precautions though because I didn't want to catch a cold or diarrhea virus mostly. I will travel again with both kids over Easter (to Europe). 

Is you LO on vitamin D drops or how much is in her formula? I'd just make sure she's getting enough D and C to strengthen the immune system.

Tags
Selective Vaccination
User Tag List