did a search and did not see any recent updates on this - is it true a separate measles only vaccine is no longer made? called my dr and that's what he told me. has anyone been able to find the separated shots in the past year or am i stuck with the mmr combo for my kiddos before we travel to europe this summer?
also --- any suggestions before receiving the shot ... i read mega doses of vitamin A can help. my 2 younger kids are completely vaccine free, ages 4 and 6. mostly concerned about 6 year old, he is VERY sensitive, has been since birth!
7 year old had the mmr shot at 12 months, i'm leaning towards assuming he's in that 95% that's covered after 1 shot but also a little nervous since he was only 12m when he got it - maybe i will check titres, what do you think?
Nope. They stopped making separate MMRs a few years ago.
Here are my notes for preparing for - and dealing with after-effects of - vaccines.
Notes on Vitamins/Minerals/Herbs to use to prepare and help with vaccine response
Vitamin C: 1000 mg/day for several days before and after
Ice pack immediately following vaccination and later at home. Ice reduces inflammation. Alternating heat and cold acts as a pump to bring additional blood flow to the area to aid healing.
Stephanie Cave, M.D.
- Vitamin A (cod liver oil) 1 tbsp for three days before and on the day of the shot.
- Vitamin C 100 mg twice daily for infants and 300mg twice daily for toddlers for three days before and on the day of the shot.
Kenneth Bock, M.D.
- Administer vaccinations only to abundantly healthy children. Postpone the vaccinations if your child is ill, has a fever, was ill within the past week or two, or appears to possibly be coming down with an illness. Any condition that compromises immunity can lead to adverse reactions.
- Give vitamins C and A, zinc and transfer factor. Start the supplements one to two weeks before the vaccination. Also give them on the day of the vaccination and for two weeks after. At a minimum, give them the day after. Dosage should be appropriate to age, size, and other indications. Be especially sure not to give an excess of vitamin A. Vitamin A should preferably be given as cod liver oil.
- If your child is experiencing a notable allergic response at the time of the vaccination, such as seasonal allergy, postpone the vaccination until allergic symptoms have cleared.
Vitamin A administration enhances antibody response to DPT:
DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.
I'd check titers for the older child. DH had one MMR at 12 months and when he commissioned the military checked his titers and they were fine (at age 24).
If you really only want measles, you can get it in Europe in case you go there on vacations. I don't like the MMR at all (I personally had a bad experience with it, at age 24, as I had never had it before) and only consider it if there was a measles outbreak in my town. I'm going to the EU in a couple weeks but won't do measles for DS yet for shedding reasons (DD is too young for my taste for a live virus vaccine). I probably will get it though once DD is 24 months or older, on our next trip. It costs 55 Euros, plus a small admin fee from the doc.
I wouldn't do mass doses. When we give vaccines, we give fish oil (Nordic Naturals) and extra vitamin D for a couple of days. DS also has a vitamin that he takes daily that should cover some (Rainbow light nutri stars). I avoid sugary foods following a vaccination.
|Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination|
|55 members and 20,122 guests|
|agentofchaos , anisaer , averysmomma05 , Azure Klein , b00angelz , bananabee , cloa513 , CodeCoffee , DahliaRW , Deborah , emmy526 , girlspn , happy-mama , hillymum , jcdfarmer , jeslynn , joycef , juliebird , katelove , Katherine73 , keepingFAITH , Kelleybug , kiachu , lab , lmevans , mama24-7 , mamabear0314 , Mamalari , mckittre , michanders4 , moominmamma , mumto1 , Mylie , NaturallyKait , newmamalizzy , oaksie68 , omarinbox1888 , rendapech , RollerCoasterMama , rubelin , sciencemum , shantimama , Shmootzi , sidrajedi , siennaflower , Skippy918 , Sojourner , Springshowers , transpecos , WASarah , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|