If I wanted to get my 4 yr old a vaccine for tetanus protection... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-22-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Which vaccine would I need to get for her (lease amount of components possible) and how many would she need for the tetanus protection?  Thanks!!

#2 of 17 Old 04-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Hi, there is DT licensed for kids under 7. 

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM101500.pdf

Quote:
For children 1 year through 6 years (up to the seventh birthday), the primary series consists of 3 doses: administer two 0.5 mL doses intramuscularly 4 to 8 weeks apart. A reinforcing dose is given 6 to 12 months after the second injection.

It contains trace amount of thimerosal and 0.17mg aluminum.

The only T vax is only approved for older than 7 yrs, and contains much more thimerosal and no aluminum.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM166873.pdf

#3 of 17 Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Is there no brand of DT that has zero thimerasol?  I'm trying to decide between DTaP, DT only, (or leaving my DD unvaccinated) before preschool.  I was unaware that DT had trace thimerasol.  Ugh.  IMO even a trace is not optimal.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 17 Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM

Nukuspot,

here is a complete list of all of the vaccines licensed for use in the US

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm093833.htm

maybe i've missed something, I could only find that one DT for pedi use. I thought you were pretty concerned about pertussis? maybe if you have the pertussis concern and thimerosal concern, daptacel might be better than DT?

#5 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I see individual mumps and measles vaccines on there--does that mean that they are now available?

I also see tetanus toxoid listed as a vaccine on that list...

#6 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 07:49 PM

It's true,  I started researching vaxxes again after being sure I didn't want to give my child any because of pertussis...But then I started reading more about tetanus and thought that maybe that was more important...So I started trying to figure out if doing DT only would make more sense as far as less heavy metals, formaldehyde, etc...Since those vaccine preservatives and adjuvants are what I am really concerned about and had held me back to this point in doing any vaxxes....

But, I don't know if DT is any "better" than DTaP in that regard, based on what you posted, so if we do end up doing anything, might as well be DTaP I guess.  As you can see, I still haven't made any decision.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#7 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

I see individual mumps and measles vaccines on there--does that mean that they are now available?

I also see tetanus toxoid listed as a vaccine on that list...

Good question. It says the page was updated 4/19/2012. And I would say it is approved but not available, but they make that distinction for other vaccines by  - (not available) notation. 

headscratch.gif

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/shortages/

Based on input from the ACIP, professional societies, scientific leaders, and customers on October 26, 2009 Merck announced the company has decided not to resume production of ATTENUVAX® (Measles Virus Vaccine Live), MUMPSVAX® (Mumps Virus Vaccine Live), and MERUVAX®II (Rubella Virus Vaccine Live). This science-based decision will support vaccination of the largest group of appropriate individuals. Updated January 27, 2010

#8 of 17 Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post
So I started trying to figure out if doing DT only would make more sense as far as less heavy metals, formaldehyde, etc...Since those vaccine preservatives and adjuvants are what I am really concerned about and had held me back to this point in doing any vaxxes....

Not to complicate things further for you, but here is the DT

Quote:
Corynebacterium diphtheriae cultures are grown in a modified Mueller and ****** medium.1 Clostridium tetani cultures are grown in a peptone-based medium containing bovine extract. The meat used in this medium is US sourced. Both toxins are detoxified with formaldehyde. The detoxified materials are then separately purified by serial ammonium sulfate fractionation and diafiltration. The 1 dose vial of vaccine is formulated without preservatives but contains a trace amount of thimerosal (a mercury [Hg] containing compound) from the manufacturing process (≤0.3 µg Hg/0.5 mL dose). Each 0.5 mL dose is formulated to contain 6.7 Lf of diphtheria toxoid, 5 Lf of tetanus toxoid, and not more than 0.17 mg of aluminum. The residual formaldehyde content, by assay, is less than 0.02%. Both toxoids induce at least 2 units of antitoxin per mL in the guinea pig potency test. 

and Daptacel:

Quote:
Each 0.5 mL dose contains 15 Lf diphtheria toxoid, 5 Lf tetanus toxoid and acellular pertussis antigens [10 mcg detoxified pertussis toxin (PT), 5 mcg filamentous hemagglutinin (FHA), 3 mcg pertactin (PRN), and 5 mcg fimbriae types 2 and 3 (FIM)].  
Other ingredients per 0.5 mL dose include 1.5 mg aluminum phosphate (0.33 mg of aluminum) as the adjuvant, ≤5 mcg residual formaldehyde, <50 ng residual glutaraldehyde and 3.3 mg (0.6% v/v) 2-phenoxyethanol (not as a preservative).  

Daptacel has much more diptheria toxoid and almost twice the aluminum. DT has trace of thimerosal. Not sure how to compare the formaldehyde.

#9 of 17 Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM

I'd take the increased aluminum over a trace of mercury any day.  I truly think mercury is one of the scariest things out there in vaccines today.  Neither is a good option but Dr. Sears seems to think Daptacel has the least yuckies in it so I guess that's what I'm going with.  Sigh.  Wish there were better choices.

Now I have to confirm that there is only ONE Daptacel.  I don't want to have the situation where I didn't request a single dose Daptacel and they give it out of a multi dose vial with Thimerasol...

#10 of 17 Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! So, would I still need to get her 3 vax for tetanus protection? Or is the 3 series more for the pertussis portion? I'm probably not going to do it because the vaccine freaks me out, but I'd be more likely to consider it if only one injection were needed.  Is the T vax approved for 7 and up only one dose? Thanks!!

#11 of 17 Old 04-27-2012, 09:54 AM

The T only contains a full dose 25 mcg of mercury so IMO it wasn't even on my radar.  Combo vaccines are preferable to me than mercury!  And yes, I think it is for only over 7.

#12 of 17 Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:

Is there no brand of DT that has zero thimerasol?  I'm trying to decide between DTaP, DT only, (or leaving my DD unvaccinated) before preschool.  I was unaware that DT had trace thimerasol.  Ugh.  IMO even a trace is not optimal.

If you live in Washington, where there they have declared a pertussis epidemic and have a new baby on the way, and are going to get one of the vaccines anyway, why not go with DTaP to get the pertussis protection?

------------------

Vincent Iannelli, MD

About.com Guide to Pediatrics
#13 of 17 Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I'd take the increased aluminum over a trace of mercury any day.  I truly think mercury is one of the scariest things out there in vaccines today.  Neither is a good option but Dr. Sears seems to think Daptacel has the least yuckies in it so I guess that's what I'm going with.  Sigh.  Wish there were better choices.

Now I have to confirm that there is only ONE Daptacel.  I don't want to have the situation where I didn't request a single dose Daptacel and they give it out of a multi dose vial with Thimerasol...

There is only one Daptacel, in single dose vials.

The bigger problem might be making sure that your provider actually has that version of DTaP, as most only stock one version of each type of vaccine.

------------------

Vincent Iannelli, MD

About.com Guide to Pediatrics
#14 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutPediatrics View Post

If you live in Washington, where there they have declared a pertussis epidemic and have a new baby on the way, and are going to get one of the vaccines anyway, why not go with DTaP to get the pertussis protection?

Because the pertussis part does not prevent transmission, it just makes the course of the disease milder for the vaccinated individual.  So my toddler could get pertussis, we think it's just a cold, and give it to my unvaccinated baby.  However on the flip side, I do think that if she did get the vaccine, got pertussis, and had a mild enough case that she was not coughing droplets all over the house, it DOES diminish the risk the baby would get it.  But there are many more side effects associated with the DTaP vs the DT, so I am trying to see if the benefits outweigh the risks.  I am not opposed to vaccination.  My husband just got his Tdap booster, as will all the grandparents before coming to see the new baby.  I personally had pertussis 4 years ago so I am still within the 5-10 year natural immunity range.  My MD got my titers run just to make sure.  So all adults will be vaxxed against pertussis because in that case the benefits outweigh the risks for sure. I just have great, great concerns regarding vaccinations for tiny people and and not sure the risk/benefit ratio is worth it.  So that is why I am agonizing over the choice for my 3 y/o.

#15 of 17 Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutPediatrics View Post

There is only one Daptacel, in single dose vials.
The bigger problem might be making sure that your provider actually has that version of DTaP, as most only stock one version of each type of vaccine.

That is great to know that there is only one Daptacel and they are all single dose.  My ped office does use that brand.  I called and asked the nurse.  I was just worried there was a multi dose version.

#16 of 17 Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM

I'm confused, maybe just with terminology. Daptacel is a five dose vaccine, no?

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm103037.pdf
#17 of 17 Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

She meant that it only comes in a single dose vial. If it came in a multi-dose vial, it would contain 25 mcg mercury per dose.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page