help with schedule for the next 4 vaccines needed for kingergarten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2012, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

My daughter is 5.5- she has been fully vaccinated on schedule up until now. Her father and I have joint medical decision making rights and we're trying to come to an agreement for the last 4 remaining vaccines she needs for kindergarten.

She needs her 4th polio, 2nd MMR, 2nd chickenpox, and 2nd hep B.

Basically he wants to do all 4 in one visit, I would prefer none at all- but I am trying to come up with a compromise.

I have already suggested to him the Dr. Sear's alternate schedule and it sounds like he will honor my request. Now I need to give specifics about the schedule.

I would like to do the MMR alone per Dr. Sear's recommendation and then wait a couple months to do more. I am unsure about the other 3.  Are they best given individually?  Are any of them live or do they contain aluminum?  I have told him I want to do all live vaccines by themselves and all aluminum containing vaccines by themselves.

Do I get this information from the doctor depending on what they have in stock or is there a good place too find out? I don't want the doctor or her father to think I am just "another uneducated parent" so I would prefer to go into these discussions knowing what I am talking about,. Know what I mean?

He has scheduled her first appointment for Thursday, so I don't have much time.  I also would have liked to give her  immune system boosting foods and supplements weeks beforehand but since there isn't time for that for the first one- which one would be best to get first. Is there any one of the 4 that is safest?

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate any help you can give!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

It might not be Hep B but Hep A. Does anyone know what kids normally get around kindergarten age?

Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingAnonymous View Post

It might not be Hep B but Hep A. Does anyone know what kids normally get around kindergarten age?

If your child was otherwise up-to-date until now, then she would usually get DTaP, IPV, Varivax (chicken pox), and MMR at a visit between age 4 to 6 years and before starting kindergarten.

------------------

Vincent Iannelli, MD

About.com Guide to Pediatrics
Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I'm sorry I didn't see your post until now--you've probably already had the appointment.

You can request a titer (blood test where they check for antibodies) for the MMR--if your daughter has antibodies, no need for the second MMR. 95% supposedly have lifetime immunity after 1 shot; the second shot is just to catch the 5% who didn't develop immunity from the first shot. You may be able to do the same with chicken pox.

If your daughter was fully immunized up til now, she already had 3 hep B vaccines. Do you mean hep A?

I agree with you about doing no vaccines--if I could do it over again, I would do very few or none at all. But if I absolutely had to, I'd only allow one at a time, and I wouldn't allow any for diseases she already shows immunity for.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Thank you both for your replies. We did have the appointment but did not do any vaccinations since we were not in agreement yet.

I found out she 'needs' an IPV, MMR, varivax and Hep A vaccination.  The doctor said she was totally fine with spreading them out and doing 1 per visit, about a month apart.

That;s great to know about the MMR- I will definitely bring it up. Thanks!

Tags
Delayed Vaccination
User Tag List