Has anyone delayed vaxxes until their child was a toddler or older? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I'm sorry that I didn't pipe in sooner because I have similar experience.  I was the most vax-hesitant with DD1.  At her 6-month Well Baby Visit, I got her one dose of DTaP and that was it.  I wanted to see if there were any reactions before I proceeded with other doses.  The doctor was soooooooo rude and pushy, however, (i.e. making me sign the Bad Mommy Form, etc.), that I didn't go back to a doctor until DD was 2.  At that point, I did DTaP *and* MMR because after her first round of DTaP, I was more confident that she wouldn't have a reaction. From that point forward, we just went with Jugs' approach and followed the CDC catch-up schedule.  Unlike Jugs, I opted for 4 doses because I'm not satisfied with the lack of science supporting all of the ingredients in the vaccine.  That's obviously an individual call on your part.

As I warned another poster, doctors offices are busy, busy places, and most aren't used to working with catch-up schedules.  If you choose to move forward with this, make sure that you study that catch-up schedule in its entirety, and don't be shy about correcting nurses who are pushing for more doses than you need...or doses that are too close together.  As Jugs said, (and as the footnote on the chart indicates), you technically do not NEED a fifth dose if the fourth was given after age 4, but I've had nurses try to tell me otherwise.

I will say that by getting just DTaP alone, you're at an advantage over parents who get 6+ vaccines in one visit.  Unlike you, they aren't able to trace a reaction to a single jab.  Here is the Vaccine Information Sheet for DTaP.  Doctors are federally mandated to give a copy of these to each patient, prior to every vaccine, and at every visit.  They don't, however, and there are no legal repurcussions that I know of if they don't. irked.gif Anyway, study it carefully for reactions to look out for, and don't hesitate to contact your doctor AND the Vaccine Adverse Events Awareness System (VAERS) if anything out-of-the-norm occurs. 

Speaking as one of the more vax-cautious of MDC's selective vaxxers, I can tell you that the liklihood of this scenario is pretty dang rare...not non-existent, and not unworthy of concern.  Just rare. 

I feel your pain.  My kids are up-to-date on their DTaP, but I have a newborn coming soon and little faith in the pertussis vax.  So I may quarantine us all if this epidemic crosses state lines... 

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cancelled the appointment but I really appreciate all the replies on this thread.  I may give her one set of vax her later in her life (maybe before Kindergarden?) mainly for the tetanus part of DT or DTaP so all your replies are really relevant and appreciated!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination
User Tag List