Has anyone delayed vaxxes until their child was a toddler or older? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Selective & Delayed Vaccination > Has anyone delayed vaxxes until their child was a toddler or older?
nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 07:54 PM 04-26-2012

If so...Can you PLEASE tell me your experience?  My DD is 3+ and she is totally unvaxxed.  After a month of frantic research and soul searching I have decided to start the DTaP series with her for two reasons:

1.)  Pertussis protection.  Even though the pertussis vaccine is woefully inadequate and does not prevent transmission we have a new baby coming soon and pertussis is rampant in the area. I will never ever vax an infant so logically it makes sense to vax the adults and older kids to try to stop bringing pertussis into the home, or if they do get it, so the case will be milder and they will cough on the baby or near the baby less.

2.)  DD is about to start preschool which is a Waldorf inspired preschool with tons of animals and outdoor time. I didn't want to be freaking about every little cut she came home with about tetanus and having to rush to the ER to get a dirty vax like TIG. 

So I'm not thinking about getting her "caught up" just the DTaP series.  However I cannot find barely any info about starting the series with older children.  I either know totally unvaxxed kids or kids who were vaxxed on the Dr. Sears delayed schedule, and had their DTaP as infants.  I want to know if the older they get, do seem to tolerate the vax better/worse than infants?  I'm super worried about vaccine reactions.  No real reason other than I have a perfect, strong, smart child right now and it kills me to think of injecting her with alumimum and formaldehyde...I want to make sure I am doing this for her good (and the good of the new baby) and try to prevent any harm coming from it. 

So if you started vaxxes with your older child can you please tell me how they did with them?

Also, what sort of vitamins, homeopathy, etc did you give your child before/after the vax?

•  
  •  

columbusmomma's Avatar columbusmomma 07:39 AM 04-30-2012
I started the dtap series with my DD when she was about 3.5 yrs old. The biggest issue is now she has a fear of going to the dr. since unlike an infant, she knows fully well what a shot looks like, how it's going to feel,etc. So she has high anxiety over this and I hate that! She was completely unvaxed until I had the series started. She's now had 3. I'm going to do a couple more immunizations before she starts kindergarten this fall. This has been the biggest issue with delaying and doing selective vax, the anxiety pre-appointment. She exhibited no side effects, just pain at the injection site. She eats a healthy diet and still nurses a bit. I don't know or not if she tolerated the immunizations any better since she was older when she first received her first dose. I did space out the 3 dtap's she's had and I guess according to school requirements she will only need 4 vs. 5 dtaps, at least here in Ohio, since I would get the 4th dose after she turned 4.
nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 10:18 PM 04-30-2012

Columbusmomma,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting your experience.  Even hearing just your one first hand account of starting this same vax when your child was about the same age (and with no issues) was very relieving to me.  I am still so on the fence about what I am going to do, but it really, really helps to hear your story.  Thank you so much.  I made an appt for my daughter but I am still weighing the pros and cons at the moment.

Taximom5's Avatar Taximom5 11:06 PM 04-30-2012
Regarding the concern about pertussis in your area--I wonder if it's possible to find out what percentage of unvaxed infants who got pertussis, especially those who had complications from pertussis, had underlying health problems?

I would also wonder what percentage were formula-fed. Seems to me that all the safety/efficacy testing on both DTaP and DPT were done primarily on formula-fed babies.
columbusmomma's Avatar columbusmomma 07:56 AM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Columbusmomma,

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for posting your experience.  Even hearing just your one first hand account of starting this same vax when your child was about the same age (and with no issues) was very relieving to me.  I am still so on the fence about what I am going to do, but it really, really helps to hear your story.  Thank you so much.  I made an appt for my daughter but I am still weighing the pros and cons at the moment.

Glad my post was helpful! I am glad that I just did the one vax too. That way if she had a reaction I would know which vaccine it was from. Plus, her being able to communicate how she feels,etc. is helpful too, vs. a nonverbal baby!

I am still researching too and often so it will always be an ongoing area of interest. Good luck with the best decision for your family!
nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 11:24 AM 05-01-2012

Taximom--I don't know how I can find out that information.  I did ask my DDs ped and she said she had many cases of WC this year, all were in unvaxxed or partially vaxxed kids, but they were all older (preschool/school age).  She had no infant cases this year.  However other counties in my state have,  I did ask her if perhaps she had other cases in vaxxed kids but because the sx were less intense maybe they weren't diagnosed?  She said that is very possible.  Anyway, that's almost beside the point because at this point I'm also strongly considering the DTaP for tetanus protection.  My DD is about to start a Waldorf preschool with lots of outside play.  This will be the first time I will have been away from her.  I actually did ask the teacher about wound care and it seems she is confident she will be able to take care of any wound my DD recieves, but she did not know about hydrogen peroxide to oxygenate the wound if it is deep....So basically because it is not ME that would be immediately taking care of any wound she might get at preschool I can't help but worry and think maybe for my peace of mind she needs the T protection from the DTaP even more than the aP part...Otherwise I would be afraid I would rush her to the ER for TIG unecessarily.  And that would be horrible.  I don't like the TIG at all, being a human blood product that could contain viruses, Hep C, etc.

This is an impossible decision!  But having first hand stories really do help.  If any other mamas out there have started vax at 3 or older, can you please weigh in?

Slmommy's Avatar Slmommy 11:30 AM 05-01-2012

sorry nukuspot, my DD was vaxed selectively but on schedule until 6 months when I stopped.

I'm surprised there haven't been more mommas who delayed until toddlerhood chiming in...

nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 12:14 PM 05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by slmommy View Post

sorry nukuspot, my DD was vaxed selectively but on schedule until 6 months when I stopped.

I'm surprised there haven't been more mommas who delayed until toddlerhood chiming in...

I've been really suprised too.  I've been searching all over the internet for first hand accounts for stories from parents who delayed vaxxes until toddlerhood and have found maybe 3.  I have no idea why this is.  I really want to know if (anecdotally) parents are seeing older kids do well with vaxxes (especially DTaP) vs all the thousands of stories I read about infants having side effects.

skyblufig's Avatar skyblufig 11:01 AM 05-02-2012

We didn't start any vax's until this past Fall, when ds2 was about 18 months old, dd was 4, and ds1 was 7.  We did the first DTaP for all three of them in November, then the youngest just had his second DTaP this past week. The older two won't be getting their second until July.  The first time around, the older two had slightly sore arms the next day & the youngest had a very mild fever (around 100) overnight, and that was it [no fever at all this time]. Dd started to freak out a bit as soon as she saw the needle, although that was some post-ER stress rearing up (she took a header into an iron fence on her scooter and needed some stitches); as soon as the shot was over, she was completely fine. Ds1 didn't bat an eye at it. Ds2 was totally unfazed both times -- no tears. Although I will say, the nurse who does the shots is crazy-fast -- like literally 3 seconds and it's done. 

No negative effects so far. Ds1 was already diagnosed with SPD and that hasn't increased any since the first shot. Dd has pauciarticular juvenile rheumatoid arthritis in one joint and that hasn't gotten any worse.  Ds2's asthma seems to be diminishing as he gets older, which we were somewhat expecting regardless. Hope that helps. 

Jen

nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 12:24 PM 05-02-2012

Jen,

That's wonderfully helpful to hear your story.  Can I ask you why you decided after being a non-vaxxer for all that time to give your kids all the DTaP?  And why the spacing difference between the doses for the 3 kids?  All this info is really helpful to me.  Thank you so much in advance!

skyblufig's Avatar skyblufig 10:34 PM 05-02-2012
Quote:

Jen,

That's wonderfully helpful to hear your story.  Can I ask you why you decided after being a non-vaxxer for all that time to give your kids all the DTaP?  And why the spacing difference between the doses for the 3 kids?  All this info is really helpful to me.  Thank you so much in advance!

Our youngest developed asthma that's triggered only by respiratory viruses. Foods, pets, grasses/trees/pollen, dust, mold -- no problem. But the common cold can trigger a very very fast and ugly attack. We realize that the vax's aren't 100% protection -- nothing is -- but after 2011 and four hospitalizations with a baby that was turning blue, we felt that in the greater scheme of things, even a tiny amount of extra protection was worth the risk. He is [knock wood] growing much healthier, stronger lungs as he gets older. 

Our family practice MD left the spacing (if we do them at all) up to us, and 3 or 4 months in between seemed a very conservative amount of time to see if there are any adverse reactions. The only reason the older two aren't getting their next ones until July is because they'll be going in for a yearly checkup anyway then -- our doc moved a bit further away from us to a bigger office. We plan to eventually give them most of the shots we both had when we were kids, i.e., DTaP, MMR, polio. We'll cross the chicken pox bridge if nobody gets it by about 10 or so. Peace.gif

Jen

Blessed_Mom's Avatar Blessed_Mom 11:12 PM 05-02-2012

Today we were talking catch-up schedule for my DD (35 months) vaxes with her Ped and while I was expressing my suspicions about Prevnar and one of the adverse reactions I mentioned were seizures he said that if I was so concerned maybe I should give her tylenol for 2 days following the vax as a preventative measure....

Just something you may want to either consider or discuss with your ped ... ?

emmy526's Avatar emmy526 04:13 AM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

Today we were talking catch-up schedule for my DD (35 months) vaxes with her Ped and while I was expressing my suspicions about Prevnar and one of the adverse reactions I mentioned were seizures he said that if I was so concerned maybe I should give her tylenol for 2 days following the vax as a preventative measure....

Just something you may want to either consider or discuss with your ped ... ?

but isn't there another study refuting the use of tylenol after vaxing because it reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine?   So much conflicting information out there.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-5388197.html

Quote:
Study: Avoid Tylenol After Vaccinations

Jugs's Avatar Jugs 09:27 AM 05-03-2012

I delayed my dd's vax until age 3, and started with DTaP as well. Other than being terrified of needles, she didn't have any issues or adverse reactions.

Blessed_Mom's Avatar Blessed_Mom 11:52 AM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

but isn't there another study refuting the use of tylenol after vaxing because it reduces the effectiveness of the vaccine?   So much conflicting information out there.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-5388197.html

Oh dear!  

Seriously - why can't docs do their jobs instead of making us do all the research? Why is it so difficult to keep these things straight? Cuss.gif

nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 12:43 PM 05-03-2012

The Tylenol thing is truly weird.  I'd never think of giving a hepatotoxic drug to my child AFTER they just had heavy metals and all sorts of other crap that is in vaccines put in their bodies, they need that liver to be full functioning!  Now, if they truly had a scary fever from the vaccine then I might to bring the fever down since it's a false fever, it's not the body actively killing a virus (I usually think fevers under 103 to be a positive thing showing the immune system is doing it's job).  But it seems that so many doctors just routinely recommend Tylenol with vaccinations just offhand.  Case in point.  I called my local NATUROPATH to ask if she recommends any homeopathic support that I can give to my DD after she gets her first vaccine in a few weeks.  SHE SAID TYLENOL!  And she's an ND?  I now don't ever want to see her again. 

Anyway, Tylenol rant over, I am happy to now get 3 different anecdotal reports of starting a DTaP series with a 3 y/o with no issues (other than a little fear but I expect that.)  It makes me feel so reassured you don't even know.  I agonize over this decision more than I ever had anything in my life.

Jugs, how many DTaPs did your DD get?  What spacing did you do?

skyblufig...Thanks for explaining!  I love that at least 2 of your kids didn't freak about the needle.  If you were getting the older kids the DTaP to try to prevent the little one's asthma, I am curious why you spaced them so far apart for the older kids?  Nov-July is a huge space in between doses, since they don't seem to get any (albeit poor) pertussis coverage until at least 3 doses.  Not questioning, just really curious.

nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 12:45 PM 05-03-2012

PS columbusmomma, what spacing did you use between DTaP doses?

Jugs's Avatar Jugs 01:28 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Jugs, how many DTaPs did your DD get?  What spacing did you do?

She got the first three 3 doses, spaced 2 months apart, and is due for the 4th dose next week. She doesn't *need* the 5th dose, since the 4th dose will be given after her 4th birthday, but we are going to go ahead with a 5th dose before she turns 7 anyway.

Blessed_Mom's Avatar Blessed_Mom 02:57 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs View Post

She got the first three 3 doses, spaced 2 months apart, and is due for the 4th dose next week. She doesn't *need* the 5th dose, since the 4th dose will be given after her 4th birthday, but we are going to go ahead with a 5th dose before she turns 7 anyway.

Jugs,

Can you explain your reasons for going ahead with the 5th dose even when she doesn't really need it? 

Also it seems like your daughter is about 4 years old and you started vaxing after 3 years. Is DTaP the only vax she has had or did you do any other?

Am curious because your signature reads "We vaccinate" so am thinking you are pro-vaxing yet you couldn't have gotten many vaxes in from 3 to 4 years? Or am I mistaken.

We selectively vax and have delayed my DDs (3 yrs) vaxes too (but we started her first - HiB when she was 9 and have spaced out her others quite vastly). 

Jugs's Avatar Jugs 04:41 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:

Jugs,

Can you explain your reasons for going ahead with the 5th dose even when she doesn't really need it? 

With pertussis being more prevalent, I want her to have as much protection as possible.

Quote:

Also it seems like your daughter is about 4 years old and you started vaxing after 3 years. Is DTaP the only vax she has had or did you do any other?

Am curious because your signature reads "We vaccinate" so am thinking you are pro-vaxing yet you couldn't have gotten many vaxes in from 3 to 4 years? Or am I mistaken.

She got the first vax the same month she turned 3, and is 4.5 now. We ended up starting with the bare minimum needed for nursery school (I'm in NY, where exemptions are rather strict). Giving 1 or 2 shots at each visit, over the course of 9 visits, she got: 3 DTaP, 3 Hep B, 3 Polio, 1 Hib, 1 PCV, 1 MMR, 1 Varicella. She also got 2 doses of flu vaccine. This year we're going to finish out the DTaP, MMR and Varicella series, as well as Hep A.

skyblufig's Avatar skyblufig 09:58 PM 05-03-2012
Quote:

skyblufig...Thanks for explaining!  I love that at least 2 of your kids didn't freak about the needle.  If you were getting the older kids the DTaP to try to prevent the little one's asthma, I am curious why you spaced them so far apart for the older kids?  Nov-July is a huge space in between doses, since they don't seem to get any (albeit poor) pertussis coverage until at least 3 doses.  Not questioning, just really curious.

No problem! That is a long time, and it's mostly because we have in place an effective means to stop the asthma attacks relatively quickly at home now. The older two had classes when the youngest went for his annual checkup, so they're just going to get theirs when they go for their own. They will most likely all get their third doses in October. 

Jen

nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 01:19 PM 05-04-2012

Jugs,  I am also curious.  It seems that since you didn't start vaxxing until your kids were older that you used to be an un-vaxxer or a S/D vaxxer.  But from your signature you seem to be pretty pro-vax.  I just wanted to ask what brought about your change?

Columbusmomma, thanks for explaining!

Jugs's Avatar Jugs 07:30 PM 05-04-2012
Quote:

Jugs,  I am also curious.  It seems that since you didn't start vaxxing until your kids were older that you used to be an un-vaxxer or a S/D vaxxer.  But from your signature you seem to be pretty pro-vax.  I just wanted to ask what brought about your change?

Its a long story, but I went from vaccinating by default to completely anti-vax after my oldest child had a pretty scary reaction as a baby. After doing quite a bit of research, I was firmly anti-vax, and remained so for quite a few years. After my 3rd baby was born, I started having some doubts, but the idea of vaxing still wasn't something I was comfortable with, after I spent so many years being against them. The nagging doubts just wouldn't go way, so I decided to go back to square one and re-research, but with broader resources and a more critical eye. When confronted with the overwhelming amount of science in favor of vaccination, as well as the misinformation I had believed for so long, my views began to change. It was tough because I still had to ask myself if I was willing risk another reaction... but at the same time, was it logical to forgo all vaccines for all of my kids because of the reaction my oldest had? I was so panicked over resuming vaccination that I kept rescheduling the appointment, but when I prayed over my younger two and finally got those first shots over with, I knew I was doing the right thing.

I guess at this point I consider myself "pro-vax with avengence" LOL.

nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 09:24 PM 05-05-2012

When you started vaxxing your older child again did he have any more reactions?

columbusmomma's Avatar columbusmomma 08:32 AM 05-09-2012
Quote:

PS columbusmomma, what spacing did you use between DTaP doses?

whenever I got around to making an appt. lol! between 4-6 months..
nukuspot's Avatar nukuspot 08:54 PM 05-09-2012

I think I'm going to cancel the appointment.  I have such a high level of anxiety about this it's unreal. I can't sleep at night.  I am exactly 50% convinced I want to go ahead with the DTaP series and 50% convinced it's not worth the risk.  So in light of such indecision I think I am cancelling the appointment, because I need to feel really confident I am doing the right thing.  I can't take back a vaccine once it's in my child but I can always go make the appointment at a later date.

I've never had so much conflicting information and personal feelings as I do about this subject.  I've learned a lot over the last months but it's been a horrible gutwrenching process for me.

katiegrace's Avatar katiegrace 09:52 PM 05-11-2012

I could have written your post, OP. And I'm still conflicted about what to do. My daughter is 4. I want to vaccinate her, but I'm terrified to. I asked in another thread,  but i still didn't get an answer, but does anyone know how many DTaP's they would need if starting at this age?

ma2two's Avatar ma2two 10:24 AM 05-13-2012

Four doses. If you wait until age 7 to start, it would be three doses (consisting of one Tdap and two Td)

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiegrace View Post

My daughter is 4. I want to vaccinate her, but I'm terrified to. I asked in another thread,  but i still didn't get an answer, but does anyone know how many DTaP's they would need if starting at this age?

lici'n'kaia's Avatar lici'n'kaia 10:41 AM 05-14-2012

I'm SOOOO glad to have found this thread, I have to do some vaccines for my YDD so she can start school in September, and I am pretty much KILLING myself trying to figure out what's best for my daughter!

lici'n'kaia's Avatar lici'n'kaia 10:52 AM 05-14-2012

I'm currently trying to weed through the vaccination schedule the province of Ontario recommends (I'm a Canadian)  I'm guessing all of our kids would be Sched 2- and I REALLY don't know which ones I should TRY and avoid!  I think I'll skip the HIB one, as it's already not recommended at YDD's age group, but other than that, I'm SOOOOOO confused!

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/immunization/docs/schedule.pdf

Tags: Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination
1 2 

Up