Should I choose Hiberix or ActHiB for my 3 yr old DD? Urgent help needed please ... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukuspot View Post

Isn't Pentacel just Daptacel with IPV added, then they mix HIB in on site? Now I'm getting confused. Why are you mentioning Tripedia? That's just a DTaP only vaccine that I believe was discontinued in 2008?

According to this link.. updated May 2 2012..Tripedia is still very much available.

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm#*#*

On the other hand...why are there no numbers for JUST ACTHiB??? anyone know?

#32 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

I am confused by your above two posts.

In post #25 you acknowledge that HiB can be mixed with Tripedia (which is what I read too.. is why I am mentioning it..read my concerns about what they may mix the ActHiB in - in post #22 here.

In post #26 you ask why I am mentioning Tripedia - although you do acknowledge that it CAN be mixed with ActHiB... ? :)

I was just restating what you wrote in post 25.  You were the one who posted the link that it can be mixed with Tripedia.  I didn't know that.  So that is why I asked in post 26 why you were mentioning it.  Dr. Sears has stated many times that they are phasing out Tripedia as of 2008-9.  The only 2 choices for DTaP still being made he says are Daptacel and Infantrix.  But he says there are still doses of Tripedia floating around, in use, they just aren't making more.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#33 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

That nurse must be the one who got fired from OUR ped's office! orngbiggrin.gif
Seriously, the misuse of language is just amazing when it comes to vaccines.
Doctors STILL say that "thimerosal was removed from pediatric vaccines.".
No, it wasn't removed. They didn't go in there with a little Thimerosal Removal Kit and remove it. They began to produce single-dose vaccines WITHOUT thimerosal. They also continued producing them WITH thimerosal, either for adults or for export to third-world countries.
I suspect it's the same misuse of language with your nurse, who says she can "separate it out." (One wonders how she passed organic chemistry?)

Or they just "washed out" the thimerasol.  I still wonder how they do that.  Vaccines with the thimerasol "washed out" are the ones that say they contain a trace (0.3mcg) since they can't wash out everything.  I say yay, better than 25 mcg, but why can't they just make new totally thimerasol free versions?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#34 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Or they just "washed out" the thimerasol.  I still wonder how they do that.  Vaccines with the thimerasol "washed out" are the ones that say they contain a trace (0.3mcg) since they can't wash out everything.  I say yay, better than 25 mcg, but why can't they just make new totally thimerasol free versions?

In those instances, thimerosal or a thimerosal-preserved ingredient was used in the initial processing, but was not meant to be an ingredient in the final product, as opposed to the multi-use vials of vaccine, in which thimerosal is meant to be in the final product as a preservative.
#35 of 41 Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM

Interesting!  I still hate that they can call them "thimerasol free" when obviously a trace is still something!  They wouldn't call an oat cereal gluten free even though oats have just a "trace" gluten...

#36 of 41 Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Interesting!  I still hate that they can call them "thimerasol free" when obviously a trace is still something!  They wouldn't call an oat cereal gluten free even though oats have just a "trace" gluten...

Actually, they are allowed to call foods "gluten-free" that contain up to 20 ppb (more than a trace!) of detectable gluten.     banghead.gif

#37 of 41 Old 05-17-2012, 05:08 PM

What did you decide to do today Blessed Mom?

#38 of 41 Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyGrant View Post

What did you decide to do today Blessed Mom?

Cancel her appointment AbbyGrant :P

Surprised anyone?

Her b'day is coming up May 31st and we decided to at least postpone it till after then...

Better to forego and give/not_give later than give and regret - right?

I still haven't found out the answer to my 3 Qs above... 

#39 of 41 Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_Mom View Post

Cancel her appointment AbbyGrant :P

Surprised anyone?

Her b'day is coming up May 31st and we decided to at least postpone it till after then...

Better to forego and give/not_give later than give and regret - right?

I still haven't found out the answer to my 3 Qs above... 

Nope, not surprised. You seemed really stressed, so I think postponing was a good move.

I wish I could help you more with your questions. I don't know much about Hiberix to be honest though other than it's relatively new (2009ish?).  My youngest got ActHIB, and I was comfortable with that.

#40 of 41 Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure why your peds office would mix the ActHIB with anything than it's own diluent that comes with the vaccine itself.At our pediatrics office every vaccine is used but I usually administer HIB,Prevnar and Dtap at 15 months of age and for my babies I use pediarix(Dtap,IPV,Hep B)

#41 of 41 Old 08-29-2012, 08:42 PM

Yes I agree with Taximom5, you should ask and have every right to see the packaging and insert that comes with the vaccine. 

I've read the majority of the severe cases of HIB in children happen under two years old. It is entirely up to you to weigh the risks of HIB or go ahead and get a booster. Since she is preschool age she wouldn't need more than one booster shot if you decide to go that route. The single HIB shot is only approved prior to age five so you have a couple more years to decide if you decide to wait.

Free hugs! hug2.gif

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page