I was wondering what vaccines you chose to opt out of and why? I am delaying (and possibly skipping) vaccines, so just wanted to know what other people have done.
Thanks for any input!
Well I am living outside of the US... so my DD got BCG a few days after birth along with Hep B. Then pentacel (dtap, ip, hib) 2 months, hep B 3 months, penta 4 months, hep B 5 months, penta 6 months. She hasn't been vaxed since and is now 2. While I would probably not vax her further (probably?) if we were living in the US, it looks like school entry here is going to force the issue, although I am still looking into that and not sure exactly what would be required.
We didn't do rota because when she was born was when they found the pig virus dna contamination in the vaccines, and also she was breastfed and not in daycare. Also didn't do prevnar for same reason, and also that is a pretty pricey shot here which would be out of pocket, just saying I didn't really want it anyway and it was expensive...
Meningococcal C is on the schedule here for babies (because the other men. vaxes that are available in the US have not been approved here yet...), but I figured why do that one if there exists a vaccine that would cover more strands... Not sure about that yet, Meningococcal does scare me.
If I were to do it again I would not do BCG, I would not do Hep B in a young child, and I would probably try to get sep. DTaP and IP (country we live in is oral polio country). I would also probably delay at least six months or more. DD did have typical reactions to pentacel, mostly crying and fussy, but my thought process at the time was that I wanted DTaP and IP and didn't really feel either way about hib - so 1 shot instead of 2... but now I would not get combo vaxes as to try to space out aluminum exposure a bit. Research I have been looking at has made me feel more strongly about delaying, I just feel like not enough is known about under-developed immune systems, brains, and ability to handle and excrete certain vax substances.
I am not terribly fearful of measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox... Well, I think the chances here are zilch that DD would contract measles (no case in a city of millions in 11 years, according to my pedi), and I hope DD gets cp naturally, as it is not regularly vaxed for here yet. I have no first hand experience with measles, mumps or rubella, but the more I read about them, the less concerned I become that DD would not fare well at this point.
Flu vax is totally off the table.
Really, if the vax schedule were more or less what it was when I was a kid, mmr, dtap, polio, hep B later... I don't think I would have ever questioned vaccines. It just seems way to much to me.
I forgot to add why I got the ones I listed. I knew I wanted DTaP b/c I live in TX where pertussis is on the rise. My pedi talked me into the other two b/c she said they are extremely dangerous if your infant does get them, and she had personally seen cases (which to me says it could be an issue in my area). None of them had fetal cells in them, so I let DS2 get them.
Amanda (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to (DH 28); mommy to (DD 9), (DS 6), (DS 11/09), (3/10), (6/10), our (DS 1), and a surprise (DD)
|Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination|
|22 members and 17,058 guests|
|babydoulajo , blessedwithboys , debigebi , Deborah , emmy526 , girlspn , gizzypeach , hillymum , iryna.prokh , Janeen0225 , JElaineB , katelove , Katherine73 , Lydia08 , Mirzam , moominmamma , Moringa , MylittleTiger , oshenalchem , shantimama , that1russian.17|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|