Question about school/day care requirements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

HI Everyone,

I have a question about school and day care requirments for vaccines. We are planning to delay until about 6 months. This means that we will not need get rotavirus because that needs to be done by 15 weeks or something like that. Will we have any problems with school/day care vaccine requirements once he is older and enters preschool? Or will the fact that we delayed give us a medical exemption since the vaccine isn't given to children beyond a certain age?

Thanks for any insight about this!

#2 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No state law requires children to get vaccines for school or daycare that are not FDA approved for their age. I'm not aware of any state that requires the rotavirus vaccine for school or daycare.

#3 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Rotavirus vaccine is not required in any state so you don't have any worries. :)

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#4 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Medical exemptions are only given to children who cannot have a certain vaccine because of a life threatening reaction. You won't get one simply because you want to delay. 

#5 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
You should have no problem with public schools but you may with daycare depending on your state. Where I live daycare centers are not legally required to allow you to opt out.
#6 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post

You should have no problem with public schools but you may with daycare depending on your state. Where I live daycare centers are not legally required to allow you to opt out.

Where do you live?  Usually if the center accepts any kind of state/federal assistance, they also have to accept the state waiver. 

#7 of 9 Old 05-27-2012, 08:45 PM

I don't believe Rotavirus vax is required anywhere in the United States. If you're in Queens, NYC, I know for a fact it's not required. No daycare, preschool, private school, public school, or camp will require it.

Even the vaccines that are on the required list for preschools, like HiB and Prevnar, have different requirements if the child is older/preschool age. IE- If the child is 15 months or older, only 1 HiB is required, not 3.

This is NYC's required vaccines:

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2370.pdf

Book loving, editor mom to 2

#8 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I won't disclose my location online, but almost no daycare center around here is run on federal funds. Many accept daycare subsidies but the subsidy is a reimbursement not a situation where the federal government is funding anything. Head Start is the only truly federally funded program other than the school district that I am aware of.

As far as I know daycares accepting USDA money are also not required to allow unvaccinated kids in. USDA paperwork is annoying so there aren't a lot of places offering that option in any case. I don't know the exact formula used to determine whether a daycare gets the choice or not but here it is a choice. My friend didn't realize this until she absolutely had to have childcare and she had to go with a crappy provider because there was no time to do research. I suggest making sure your assumptions are correct while there is still time to research good care.
#9 of 9 Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 PM

But you won't need a waiver for Rotavirus vax, because it's not a required vaccine for school or daycare anywhere in the US. It's just suggested or recommended, not required.

Book loving, editor mom to 2

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page