DD starts kindergarten in the fall, advice on exemption in Illinois - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My older daughter has been delayed/selectively vaxed...definitely not up to date though. My younger daughter is almost 2 yrs and has received nothing.
My older daughter starts kindergarten at a public school in the fall.
We live in Illinois and I want to know exactly what I have to do to not have to get her caught up for school.
We are not allowed philosophical exemptions, and do not qualify for medical I am sure.
So, what exactly do I need to do to get religious exemption?
Thanks for any help :)

#2 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here is the law.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/077006950000300R.html

#3 of 11 Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

OK, but what do I write? And who do I give it to?
Are there any forms or anything specific I need?
Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance....I figured I had lots of time to figure it all out. I honestly have NO IDEA how my baby is almost 6 already!

#4 of 11 Old 05-29-2012, 09:54 AM

The law says you should state "the specific religious belief which conflicts with the immunization(s).  The religious objection may be personal and need not be directed by the tenets of an established religious organization."

It also says, "It is not the intent of this Part that any child whose parents comply with the intent of this Act should be excluded from a child care facility or school."

So there doesn't seem to be a risk of the exemption being denied, if you follow the instructions in the law.

There are a lot of different things you could write. An example would be something like trusting God to protect your children from disease, or trusting their God-given immune systems.

The law says that you give the letter to your "local school authority." I don't know what that means, but I would start with the school office, and if they don't accept it, the principal, and if he doesn't accept it, the school district.

#5 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I was actually wondering this also, I mean I know the state law, and I've already done exemptions for private school, but was considering public school, but the District in which I am located has it on their website that children MUST be vaccinated, and it looks like they are trying to scare people into doing it.  People who don't know their rights, that is.  Could it very by district?  I can't imagine so.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#6 of 11 Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM

The vaccine exemption law applies to all schools in the state. It is common for schools everywhere in the country to hide the fact that there are exemptions.

#7 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 12:41 PM

To whom it may concern;

(We / I) {First and Last name(s)}, as the {(parent (s) / guardian(s)} of ______________________(name of newborn child) are exercising (our/my) rights under the US Constitution, PUBLIC HEALTH LAW, ARTICLE 21. CONTROL OF ACUTE COMMUNICABLE DISEASES,TITLE VI. POLIOMYELITIS AND OTHER DISEASES, NY CLS Pub Health § 2164 (2002), to receive Religious Exemption from Vaccination, ALL injections, prophylaxis, & testing due to our genuine and sincere religious beliefs which are contrary to the practices herein required.

The U.S. Supreme Court held in Frazee V. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, that a religious belief is subject to protection even though no religious group espouses such beliefs or the fact that the religious group to which the individual professes to belong may not advocate or require such belief. This ruling is also reflected in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended Nov. 1, 1980; Part 1605.1-Guidelines on Discrimination Because of Religion.

PASS IT ON SO THAT OTHERS WILL NOT BE INTIMIDATED TO ASK FOR AN EXEMPTION!

God Bless!!

#8 of 11 Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM

That is the letter we used for child care in when we were in Illinois without any problems. It really irks me when schools and school districts are dishonest with parents about their rights. Ugh!

Pamstillheart.gif Cliffguitar.gif Malachi 5/08 bouncy.gif   Judah 5/10 jog.gif  Eden 8/12 babygirl.gif Asher 8/12 babyboy.gif

You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me. ~CS Lewis

#9 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 03:11 PM

Following:  I haven't vaccinated my almost 2 year old and don't intend to give any more to my 10 year old.  I have already gotten stuff pushing Gardasil on him.

#10 of 11 Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 AM

I am really thankful this was posted! I live in IL and my one month old hasn't received any vaccinations yet. But her dr said she wanted to start them next month. I feel like that's way too early! I was wondering what everyone thinks about selective vaccination. Where can I research it? and how did you approach your child's dr about the topic? I'm posting this here because I'd really like to hear from IL moms since I know some laws differ from state to state.

#11 of 11 Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM

We selectively vaccinate on our own schedule.  I chose vaccinations by analyzing the risks on both sides.  For example, Pertussis & HiB are rampant where I live.  In an infant, both can cause death.  The Pertussis vax is grouped with Diptheria and tetanus (which I feel are uneccessary).  Pertussis is most likely to be passed by parents or family members, so I chose to vax myself & DH, and wait on that vax.  But we did vax for HiB.

Hep B is a bloodborne pathogen, so there is not a high risk for most children, we chose not to vax DS for that.

There are tons of threads on this board as to how people chose to whether or not to vax for each disease.  What I tell everyone who  chooses to selectively vax, is to make sure NEVER to sign up for a state or local vax registry (read every form carefully).  I can foresee a day when people will use te fact that a child was selectively vaxed to try to discount the exemptions.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Tags
Delayed Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page