My son is 28 months and possibly starting daycare this fall (it is depending on waiting lists). He is being delayed and selectively vaxed but now, If he is really to start school and follow the NYS requirements for immunization, there will be too many shots in a short period in order to catch up. Is there any way to "dance around" those requirements to give us time?
DS has had a lot of his vax, so I expected that when the time to start school arrived, it would just take us a few shots to catch up. I was wrong. All of those imminent and/or deadly threats (polio, sexually transmitted hep B, chickenpox, influenza) are the shots piling up on his missing list.
His daycare is city funded so it's very supervised and it will be strict.
From today to September, DS is missing:
2 polios: he has had already one dose out of "superstition"
1 Hib and 1 varicella: oh well!
3 HepB: oh why!
Hep B (3 doses) is listed in the requirements for daycare but I read below in the fine print : "students starting at 6th grade must have 3 doses of Hep B..." . It seems conflicting.
I'm here really hoping that there can be any resource, like, starting daycare while in an immunization plan, having had a first dose of each. I hope DS doesn't have to receive all of those shots in the next 3 months but rather space them through 4/5 months and be admitted in the program with some sort of grace period to catch up.
Is there anyone out there who knows how it goes in NYC?
Married to, Mom to 02/00, DS 02/10, 02/13 and 07/96
I'm in NYS (Westchester county) but the state requirements are the same. My 4yr old DD is selectively and delayed vac and up until a couple months ago, a letter in her file, signed by her doc stating that I was aware that she was missing vacs was sufficient (she's been in the same Montessori preschool since she was 14mos). The school is supportive (they told me they had a student actually die from adverse reaction to vac) but when the state came to audit them this time, they had to advise me that I needed an exemption.
All the research I did said that NY is an "all or nothing state". In other words, no exemption from AAP schedule if the child has already had some. Despite that I composed a letter, a lot of it was copy/paste from sample letters on vaclib website saying that I was opposed to specific vaccines for religious reasons. Some of those reasons involved vaccines being made from voluntarily aborted fetus cells, some animal cells which would "mix w/ human blood" etc. Now the thing is, of course some of the vaccines DD has had, fall into those categories but if asked about that, I'm prepared to state that I'm a mother, not a pharmacologist and going by the information that I have -since only that am I morally responsible for. I have not been asked anything up to now; but, if and when any clarification is asked for, I will tell them to put the request in writing...most likely they will not because then they would be treading on slippery constitutional ground.
|Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination|
|37 members and 11,426 guests|
|Anne Jividen , AutumnRose78 , befitfirm01 , cloa513 , Daffodil , DahliaRW , Deborah , emmy526 , fange , hillymum , Iron Princess , Jazzy8000 , JElaineB , katelove , Katherine73 , lemon_verbena , lilmissgiggles , Mamalari , Michele123 , Mirzam , Moda Ani , moominmamma , MylittleTiger , oaksie68 , philomom , RosemaryV , rubelin , SchoolmarmDE , Springshowers , stephalittle , zebra15|
|Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.|