Mothering Mamas Who Thoughtfully Vaccinate - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 219 Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

unfortunately, that my kids are unlikely to be exposed while they are kids is the reason i would want them to get the shot, having them walk around as adults with no defense to it is what worries me.

That is one of my biggest worries as well ! What if they escape getting a VPD , that they were not vaxed against as kids and then end up getting it , when they are teenager or adults ? 

Most of those " childhood " illnesses are proven to be far worse for grow´-ups 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

#212 of 219 Old 11-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Yes, flu mist is only for over 2.

I don't think doing vaccines "so young" is just about getting them done while kids are still going to the doctor, although that's certainly part of it especially for vaccines like hep B, I think it's also about protecting children when they're most vulnerable to serious complications.  Most of the diseases we vaccinate against (including hep b) are significantly worse for infants and toddlers than older children.  Leaving children unvaccinated until they're older means you're also leaving them less protected when they are most vulnerable.

I think this is also lifestyle dependent. The risk for my kids, who were at home and didn't even do preschool or any kind of formal playgroup stuff until age 4, was different than for someone who would be in a setting with a large number of children from early infancy.

Our decision about when to vaccinate takes into account that we would not do so until they were older, not until they had started full-time, formal schooling at the minimum and perhaps later. My DD is turning eight and will be receiving her first vaccine before the next school year begins in February. We have no qualms about the way we chose to do things in our family.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#213 of 219 Old 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do agree with that. A part of my decision was related to knowing my daughter was going to be in daycare. Ironically, she was is daycare for about six months and then I quit my job smile.gif. Still glad and still vaccinating on schedule, though.
#214 of 219 Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Should we ask for this thread to be moved to "Mindful Vaccination" board in the new forum structure, or just start again there?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#215 of 219 Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Should we ask for this thread to be moved to "Mindful Vaccination" board in the new forum structure, or just start again there?

I'll move the thread. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#216 of 219 Old 11-12-2012, 04:16 PM

i wouldnt bother moving it, the new structure allows us top separate out more detailed topics and get more focused talks. this thread was a haven for us, thant thankfully we dont need anymore

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#217 of 219 Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Hi All, The main Vaccinations forum will be closed to posting and will change into a category heading. Now that the subforums are up, we are moving active threads in the main forum to the new subforums. So this is the most natural place for this thread. Of course, with the change, feel free to start other threads related to thoughtful vaccination in this subforum and don't feel limited to just this thread. Thank you and I hope you like the changes to the Vaccinations forum. smile.gif

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#218 of 219 Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

another resource along the lines of vaxfax is http://www.violinet.org/  I don't really know hwat the whole story is with it but I've found it useful for some research lately.

#219 of 219 Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM

Get the word out: Vaccination Survey - Health Outcomes of Vaccinated, Partially Vaccinated and Unvaccinated Children and Adults

Pre-registration is now open. (Target date for survey distribution is December 3, 2012)

SHARE: http://j.mp/vaxsurvey

I have a blog.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page