Which vax should be the first? Looking for one w/least bad reactions. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

We are delaying vaccinations until 6 months and only doing 1 at a time. We are also skipping rotavirus. I'm wondering which vaccine (out of the ones that they are supposed to get first) we should get first? My doctor recommended Dtap.

I want to do the one that has the least known bad reactions, as well as one that is more critical. 

Thanks for any input on this!

#2 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Which disease(s) are you most afraid of? Isn't that the only reason to give a vaccine?

I wouldn't suggest DTaP for a baby starting at 6 months, because diphtheria is almost nonexistent in the U.S., there are about 30 cases of tetanus per year in the U.S., mostly in people over 40 years and heroin users, and pertussis isn't dangerous past 6 months old.

Have you seen the 1983 vaccine schedule? It only had diphtheria/tetanus/pertussis, polio, and MMR. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/images/schedule1983s.jpg  There hasn't been a single case of non-vaccine induced polio in the U.S. since 1979, so that one is definitely not critical. (Before 1999, there were polio cases every year caused by the live virus polio vaccine (OPV), which is no longer used in the U.S.)

#3 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would suggest researching the disease you want to vaccinate for, then look up the vaccine and read up on that too....also take into consideration how likely your child is to come into contact with any of these, and research that as well.  Other things to consider, are, are you ebf, staying home, babywearing, for the first 6months or so?  Or do you plan to go back to work and have someone else watch the baby, an dif so, where? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensmom1233 View Post

Hi Everyone,

We are delaying vaccinations until 6 months and only doing 1 at a time. We are also skipping rotavirus. I'm wondering which vaccine (out of the ones that they are supposed to get first) we should get first? My doctor recommended Dtap.

I want to do the one that has the least known bad reactions, as well as one that is more critical. 

Thanks for any input on this!

#4 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 05:26 PM

New York only has medical and religious exemptions for vaccines required for school entry. (Not philosophical). The religious beliefs have to be against the practice of vaccination in general, not against any specific vaccines (for example refusing the MMR, chickenpox, or hepatitis A vaccines because of ingredients/cell lines that originated from aborted fetuses). New York considers that to be a philosophical objection, not a religious one.

Some school districts in New York are very strict about accepting a religious exemption. Although religious views can change at any time, you will have the strongest case if you never give any vaccines at all. If you go that route, I suggest you tell the pediatrician that you are not vaccinating for religious reasons. Having that written in the chart from the beginning will make getting a religious exemption for school much easier if the school challenges your exemption.

#5 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 06:00 PM

Yes, I agree.  If you choose to vaccinate you should do it because you feel it is right, not because you feel coerced.  That said, I think that DTaP does make sense.  Pertussis is one of the most common VPDs that are in our communities right now, and even if the risk of mortality and morbidity drops after 6 months of age, it still would be quite unpleasant to have a baby with pertussis.  Now, just FYI, I choose to not vaccinate my children at all, even with that information.  But as far as which makes the most sense for your question, to as far as one VPD that the baby would encounter, DTaP would be the most logical choice.  Just know that they need a full series (4-5) shots to be protected, so basically you are just starting the series now if you choose to do so.

However, if you are going for ones with less risk of bad reactions, DTaP would not be the best choice.  It has a good share of the adverse effects posted to VAERS.  In that case perhaps you might go with Hib?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 PM

If you are only vaccinating because you don't want to submit an exemption for school, don't vaccinate for Hib, because that isn't required for kindergarten and above in any state.

Also, regarding DTaP, don't think that your baby won't get pertussis just because of the vaccine. The pertussis portion of the DTaP is probably the least effective vaccine there is. Plenty of fully vaccinated people get pertussis, even people who have recently been vaccinated for it.

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Yup both are true. The pertussis portion is 56-80% effective after a full series. And Hib usually isn't a required vax for school. But the OP asked which vax had the least side effects (and Hib also has the least funky ingredients too) and which was more critical (which I took as trying to ask which VPD was most prevalent) so I was just trying to answer in those parameters.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page