Questions about checking for titers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi Everyone,

I don't know much about this but I heard that for some vaccines you can check for titers and if your child is immune, he will not need another does of the vaccine. Can you check for titers on all vaccines or just certain ones? Also, my doctor mentioned that insurance companies do not like to pay for these tests because it's cheaper to just give another shot. Will doctors do the test even if we have to pay out of pocket for it? I'd rather pay extra and have my child get less shots.

Does anyone have experience doing this? Were you able to skip shots by doing the tests? If the test shows he's immune does the state accept this for school entry?

Thanks for any help with all of this!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check with your state about what they will accept for school entry. My state will accept titers for measles, mumps, rubella, and chicken pox. I think those are the most common diseases that there are reliable tests for.

#3 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reliable titer testing exists for MMR, varicella, diphtheria, tetanus, hep A and B. Pertussis titers just show past immunity, so they are not considered definite titers for immunity unless you know your child has never been vaccinated for it but had a case in the last 5 years.

Yes, it's true that most insurances will not pay for titers. They are very expensive (my pertussis titer alone cost 330$.). But some will! I got a full titer panel run when I was in midwifery school and my insurance covered it all. I called them first to ask so I didn't get a terrible suprise...

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 4 Old 06-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I know you can get a MMR titer for $159 and a varicella (chickenpox) titer for $59. That includes blood draw, and you don't need to pay for a doctor's visit, either. You can then submit it to insurance and see if they pay.

https://www.directlabs.com/OrderTests/tabid/1336/language/en-US/Default.aspx

If you're in Queens, NY (I'm looking at your username), that particular lab I linked to above does not offer its services in New York.

95-98% of children have sufficient antibodies to measles, mumps, and rubella to be considered immune after the first MMR.

I think it's pretty standard for schools to accept titers for MMR and varicella. Check your state law to make sure, and to see if they accept titers for anything else.

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page