cons of Dtap??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are the bad possible side effects of Dtap? I am thinking the more long term type. I have a book that says it can cause nerve damage to inner ear, degeneration of nervous system not to mention anaphylactic shock. I really would like to vax for tetanus. I worry about it a lot. I worry about the negatives too though, like the above and also increase in food allergies and decrease in immune health.

I do think we can get a DT for our 3 year old. 

Can you share some thoughts? 

#2 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The DT vaccine contains 0.3 mcg mercury.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM101500.pdf

You can read the package inserts for many of the possible side effects. They are not going to list things like increase in allergies, though.

Here are the package inserts for the 3 brands of DTaP vaccine.

Tripdedia (contains 0.3 mcg mercury) 

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM101580.pdf

Infanrix http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM124514.pdf

Daptacel http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM103037.pdf

#3 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 08:18 AM

DTaP is increasingly more reactive with each subsequent dose, with reactions being more likely with the 4th and 5th doses.  

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/side-effects.htm#dtap

I think the tetanus coverage is pretty good at 2 doses IIRC.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Pediatric DT does contain a "trace" thimerasol (0.3 mcg) but a lot less aluminum than DTaP. We are also trying to choose between the two for (possibly, still undecided) vaccinating for tetanus protection in the next year or two before DD starts full time K and she won't be around me as much so I can't make sure she gets good wound care.

In the package insert for pediatric DT they say that 98% had tetanus immunity (by titer) after 2 doses, even though 3 is a series. So our plan (if we decide to do it) is to do 2 doses of DT or DTaP and get titers checked to see if dose 3 is necessary. If we go with DTaP we will not be doing the full 4 dose series (since that is just for the pertussis component).

In a past post I compared the ingredients of DTaP with DT. Search and see if you can find it?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#5 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Aluminum and thimerosal work synergistically to cause a lot more harm than one would by itself. I can't imagine knowingly allowing them to be injected together, no matter how "small" the amount of thimerosal or aluminum.

We are all exposed to mercury in the environment. There's no way to completely avoid it, even if we don't eat fish or high fructose corn syrup or get mercury dental fillings. But there is a way to completely avoid thimerosal. It's actually quite easy. Just say no to vaccines with thimerosal.

#6 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 PM

Ma2two--Can you please post a link to where I can find info about aluminum and thimerasol together causing more harm than either alone? I've tried but cannot find any mention of that anywhere except posts on MDC. I agree I would prefer to never choose thimerasol in any amount, but in comparing DT and DTaP I find that DTaP has much higher aluminum, many more preservatives, not to mention a whole other antigen component (pertussis)...So many unwanted things. So I've been mulling it over as to which is actually preferable, comparing one bad choice to another....

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#7 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 PM

#8 of 13 Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM

Given the extreme rarity of tetanus, is not vaccinating for it at all something you might consider?

Between 2001 and 2008, a span of 8 years, there were 233 cases of tetanus in the U.S.

(average of 29 cases per year).

In children 5-19 years, there were a total of 22 cases in 8 years (average of 3 per year).

27% had unknown vaccine status, 46% had no tetanus vaccines, 5% had 1 dose, 5% had 3 doses, and 18% had 4 or more doses.

There were no deaths from tetanus in children 5-19 years old

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6012a1.htm (Table 1)

#9 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 10:16 AM

I'll have to google it more when I get home. I need more to be convinced but thanks for bringing it up!

#10 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

here is one main thing for me, and the reason I am thinking about all this (again) now. SPLINTERS, needle pricks etc. How can you give good care to a wound you can't see or don't know even know it is there.  My DD hurt her finger, I couldn't see anything at all. I think I made her rinse with water. She didn't want me to explore it because it hurt. Later, when she was asleep I used a magnifyer and flashlight and saw a tiny, tiny black splinter.  This is why I think about vaxination for Tetanus-in case you don't realize there was an injury.

#11 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post

here is one main thing for me, and the reason I am thinking about all this (again) now. SPLINTERS, needle pricks etc. How can you give good care to a wound you can't see or don't know even know it is there.  My DD hurt her finger, I couldn't see anything at all. I think I made her rinse with water. She didn't want me to explore it because it hurt. Later, when she was asleep I used a magnifyer and flashlight and saw a tiny, tiny black splinter.  This is why I think about vaxination for Tetanus-in case you don't realize there was an injury.

But think about what percentage of kids get splinters at some point. Close to 100%, if not 100%. Think about what percentage of kids some other tiny injury at some point, and don't tell their parents. Close to 100%, if not 100%.

Then, think of what percentage of kids get tetanus. Refer to the info in post 8, which was taken directly from the CDC.

Personally, I don't worry so much about wound care in regard to tetanus. It's great to have that info, if my child were to get a deep puncture wound from stepping on a nail that had been in the dirt on a farm. But tetanus isn't even on my radar for things like splinters.

thefragile7393 and purslaine like this.
#12 of 13 Old 06-17-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

But think about what percentage of kids get splinters at some point. Close to 100%, if not 100%. Think about what percentage of kids some other tiny injury at some point, and don't tell their parents. Close to 100%, if not 100%.

Then, think of what percentage of kids get tetanus. Refer to the info in post 8, which was taken directly from the CDC.

Personally, I don't worry so much about wound care in regard to tetanus. It's great to have that info, if my child were to get a deep puncture wound from stepping on a nail that had been in the dirt on a farm. But tetanus isn't even on my radar for things like splinters.

I sort of agree, sort of don't.  A huge percentage of kids are vaccinated with at least 2 doses of a tetanus containing vaccine.  Tetanus vaccines are one of the more effacious vaccine, 2 does gives 98% of people immunity, which is proven by titer to last 10 (or more) years.  I got my own titer for tetanus (among other things like Hepatitis) run at the age of 27 before going overseas, and I still had titer-confirmed immunity from my childhood vaccines!  (I had never had a booster to my knowledge).  So to say 100% of kids get splinters, that is true.  But a huge percentage of them are going to be immune  to tetanus due to vaccination.

Still, with all the elderly who had never had a booster (or were born before vaccination) and the small percentage of totally non-vaxxed kids out there, I agree, we would be seeing many more cases than 20-ish per year if tetanus was that easy to get.

I have not vaxxed my DD so far but because tetanus is always a concern for me (I understand where you are coming from, OP) I do take things like splinters seriously, IF they were big enough that I think they might have gone into the bloodstream.  If they are surface splinters under the skin I am less concerned.  I do remove them and wash with soap and water, sometimes soak with salt water, then apply H202.  Crazy, maybe.  But at least it makes me feel better...I always have my DD wear shoes on wood surfaces as well.  Our deck is notorious for splinters.  She has certainly had her share of them :)

But do I think something that small is a serious tetanus risk?  Not really.  I wouldn't obsess about it like I would if she got a puncture wound in the garden, for example. 

#13 of 13 Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Except titers aren't proof of immunity, only exposure. 

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page