Is my daughter having a bad or normal reaction to the polio vaccine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter had the vaccine yesterday (Polio), it was at about 2pm yesterday. Last night her arm was sore, then she said her leg was sore. Then sometime in the middle of the night she developed a fever- I just took her temp and it's 102. She's 5 years old. She felt pretty sick and sore with her last vaccine too, which was varicella. I'm just wondering if this is a normal reaction to the viruses or if I need to be worried. I wasn't expecting any reaction this time, because from what I have read, children almost never react to the polio vaccine. Or is this just her immune system doing exactly what it is suppose to do?

on one hand I keep thinking that the vaccine is suppose to stimulate the immune system, but on the other hand, why don't other kids react this way? I don't know if it means her immune system is healthy and reacting exactly like it should, or something else. beforehand we did a lot to try to minimize any reactions- she didn't have any grains or sugar, we were giving her a high quality fish oil everyday she was with us, lots of fresh vegetables, plus a multivitamin, she went to the chiropractor before and after the vaccine, we put ice on the injection site right after, probiotics, lots of vit D, and then we juiced some carrots, celery, cilantro, granny smith apples, and cucumber for her after - we pretty much did everything we could think of to help her body and immune system be healthy.

I very reluctantly agreed to this vaccine schedule with her dad because the only other option was to take it to trial, and a judge wouldn't rule for not vaccinating. Now I really hope nothing bad is happening to her.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

if anyone can tell me anything, I would really appreciate it. I think I am reacting way more emotionally to this than normal because I am 33 wks pregnant. I just really need some support or reassurance.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

it might be helpful if you posted if you were in the US or not as we don't just give Polio - it's a combo- are you sure she only got Polio?

have you contacted your doctor?

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

I'm in the U.S. It's a polio only vaccine here.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 AM

she got IVP? and never had a reaction from it prior? did you contact your dr or where it was given?

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM

this is old but maybe of use - http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1059072/ipv-reaction

&

Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

yes IVP. I don't know if she had a reaction before. Her dad was vaccinating her without telling me, several times. She's had a reaction to the varicella vaccine, but much more mild.

the doctor said her fever is high enough that it's a reaction they have to report. I'm waiting for her to wake up to see how she is feeling and then the doctor wants me to call again.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 AM

has her fever changed? up or down?

sorry to hear

&

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

I just took it again, it's the same- she's awake now. She says her chest hurts when she breathes and she just hurts all over.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 AM

IMO - if a child's chest hurts and is not coughing or been hit (by an objects) I would seek medical care ASAP

&

Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

I called her doctor again, he thought the chest pain was "normal" and probably from her muscles being sore from the fever. They said I can bring her in if I want or ride it out at home, that it was my call. Her breathing seems really normal right now, so I bet its sore muscles too. This whole thing has been stressful nonetheless. I hope this will make her dad takes vaccines more seriously.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Can he come over to see her reaction? Maybe then he will understand more of your concern in the future.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

i hope you got a video of her  in that state of illness to show her dad...

Old 07-03-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Her dad is like 5-6 hours away right now I believe so he's unavailable and even out of cell phone range. A video is a good idea, but since she is just laying there, it probably wouldn't prove much. One could say it just shows a tired child. I should have gotten her talking about how felt this morning and showed the thermometer on camera. She seemed much better around mid day after an epsom salt bath and some arnica, and then later tylenol.  now she's been sleeping since 1:30pm, it's almost 5:30pm now. She doesn't feel nearly as hot as before.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

next time she gets a vaccine, take a video of her before and after....

Old 07-04-2012, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

yes you are completely right, good idea. thank you :)

Tags
Delayed Vaccination
User Tag List