DTaP reaction, would you stop vaccinating? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD had her very first vaccine @ 2 yea yrs old - DTaP. First shot, she had no reaction. Nothing. Didn't even cry as she hot the shot. Second one she got 2 months later - that was 2 days ago. Now she has a red raised rash about 3" in diameter. She tells us it hurts but it doesn't seem to be interfering with anything. No other reaction. Our ped (who totally supports our delayed/selective vax decisions) wants us to get the third shot in September. We will call her tomorrow to let her know about the vaccine reaction, but wwyd? I'm concerned that if we get the third in 2 months that she will suffer a dramatically worse reaction. Anyone btdt?

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#2 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM

I dont remember which particular vaccine it was but DS also got some swelling in the injection site. As far as I recall, in the vaccine literature, it was an acceptable reaction and not necessarily indicative that you should stop getting the booster.

#3 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM

I don't know what the risks are with the 3rd dose, but I know that reactions are more likely with the 4th and 5th doses.  My son had a reaction after his 5th dose 2 years ago and had not been the same since.  

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#4 of 15 Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

A local skin reaction is not uncomon. If nothing else bothers her I would not worry. If you are really worried, go show it to the pedi

#5 of 15 Old 07-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Since you trust the doctor i would go with what the doc says. It could be something else that caused the rash. Did they use a different bandaid this time or was it on longer? My dd is very sensitive to something in bandaids and has had similar rashes from bandages. I do think you should have the rash looked at just in case if it is bothering your dd.
Alenushka likes this.
#6 of 15 Old 07-13-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

You do - not - have to decide now.  September is - not - a deadline either.  

Hope your DD gets better soon.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#7 of 15 Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

You do - not - have to decide now.  September is - not - a deadline either.  

yeahthat.gif

From the CDC: "A vaccine series does not need to be restarted, regardless of the time that has elapsed between doses."

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/child/catchup-schedule-pr.pdf 

#8 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I know we can space it out, and maybe that's what we will do, but I'm concerned that the next shot will lead to a much more serious reaction than this one. Anyone have any experience with that? I'm afraid to give DD any more shots, like ever, because I could never forgive myself if she had a serious reaction after we had a warning.  Or maybe it really isn't a big deal and I'm looking for a reason to stop vaccinating (definitely a possibility).

Happy fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed2.giffemalesling.GIF, delayed/selective vaxxing, WOHM to DD1 4/10 diaper.gif, DD2 8/12 babygirl.gif and partner/wife for thirteen years to SAHD DHsuperhero.gif.  

#9 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
As a 2- year - old, your daughter is unlikely to have complications from pertussis (the disease, not the vaccine); complications are usually seen in very young infants. The vaccine for pertussis has been shown to be far less effective than previously believed (hence the ever-increasing number of boosters; even so, most people diagnosed with pertussis were fully vaccinated for it).

Likewise, she is not likely to be at immediate risk for tetanus,unless she is running barefoot at a farm, or diphtheria.

On the other hand, the vaccine has a high rate of reports of severe reactions; estimates are that only 1-10% of severe reactions are ever reported.
#10 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

When I was assessing which vaccines to give, if any, literally the only one that scared me was pertussis.  Even for an older child I think it can be really frightening.  I know that lots of mamas are able to nurse their kids through without much difficulty, but it is outside of my comfort zone to have a VPD that could cause weeks of illness, particularly because I work full time outside of my home. I know that the risks are pretty low for her contracting it, and also for her having any serious complications from pertussis, but it was still a vaccine I was willing to get.  That hasn't changed for me.

I'm really conflicted now though because I just don't know whether the raised rash and the hard bump where she got the injection (still there 6 days later) is an indication that she is likely to have a severe reaction next time. Ough. I freaking hate these decisions. 

#11 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 07:27 AM

My kids are vaxed, as was i.

Both my kids had a reaction to their first dtap, and it is the same reaction *I* get to it, and because i've had it in the past from a tetanus-only shot, i'm pretty positive it was from the tetanus element.  For DD1 it was a hot red swollen leg for an hour or so then a rash over the whole thigh and pain for about a week for the 1st jab, and then just the rash for the following jabs.  For DD2 it was just the hot red swollen leg for about 2 hours and then general pain for about 3 or 4 days after for the first vaccine only and nothing for the later ones.  About 7 months after DD2 had hers i had a fight with a rose bush, lost, and realised i needed a tetanus booster.  The GP only carried the infant dtap so that is what i got.  I had a hot red arm for about an hour then generalised pain at the injection site for about 5 days (bad enough that i woke when turning over in bed).

My kids ARE running about barefoot in places where there are livestock-animals, so for me though it made me cautious on the day (i waited at the clinic longer in case there was going to be a bigger reaction, i organised someone else to be home with me so i could focus 100% on them for the following hours, i spoke to the GP several times to make sure i knew what i was looking for and should be doing if i saw anything) i decided i'd rather have them protected.

Ultimately only you can decide, you're the mom and you know your kid better than anyone else.  Talk to the Dr about the reaction, see how you feel in a few weeks or months.  If September comes and you're still deciding then so be it.

#12 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM

The thing that worries me is that if there is a reaction at the injection site, where a tiny needle punctured the skin, we have no idea what is going on inside the body.  I know it's considered a common reaction, but I'm not convinced that means normal or harmless.

When my son had his reaction, I assumed it was limited to the hard, hot lump on his arm, but then he spent the next 8 months sick.  His immune system never recovered fully.  Now, that was the 5th dose, so it was already more likely that he would have a reaction, but it freaked me out enough to stop the series after the second dose with DD (who was 13 months at the time).

This is just my experience of course.  It's such a hard decision.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
#13 of 15 Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

Pertussis, isn't necessarily a difficult illness, especially in children with fully functioning immune systems. My two unvaxed children had it (at least I am pretty certain they had it) as 8 and 6 year olds. It was basically and annoying cough (mostly at night) for a couple of months. By 10 years old, a very high proportion of unvaccinated children will have been infected by Bordetella pertussis, it is even postulated that this could be 100%, (Fine 84) as many infections are atypical, asymptomatic, or forgotten (as likely would have been the case for my kids if I wasn't on this board!). (Linneman 1979). 

Here is a link to, what I think is a very comprehensive article on Whooping Cough Immunity, with references to studies not easily found, if at all, online.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#14 of 15 Old 07-16-2012, 02:19 AM

My girls both had the raised bump afterwards, and I remember my nephew having it as well. We waited until our older one was 2 1/2, and our baby was about 6 months. There is a lot of pertussis where we live and after a rough time with plain old croupe I thought I couldn't handle anything worse, especially for the baby, so we all got the shot. Then I found out it's not really that effective! Anyway, the bumps have gone away after about a week, and we are only doing a series of 3 (which we have almost completed). It's a pretty acceptable reaction - and we a had a low grade fever once also- having studied immunology a bit in college, I feel like inflammation at the injection site is a good sign! That's not very clinical, but honestly, when a foreign antigen shows up at the same time as puncture, there had better be a rush to the "scene" by the gang that make healing and specific immunity happen.

#15 of 15 Old 07-21-2012, 11:56 AM

I had a reaction to my booster , when I was a young adult , I think , I was about 18 or 19 and it wasn´t so nice . My arm on the side where they did the shot started swelling up , I developed a rash and my heart was beating fast , but after a bit , it went away and I just had a stiff arm for a few days . 

The next time , I had no reaction at all , so I wouldn´t worry ! 

Plus I agree with ehflores , showing a reaction is a sign , that her immune system is reacting properly 

vbac.gifafter 3 cs fambedsingle1.gifbfinfant.gifHappily single Momteapot2.GIFknit.gif

Tags
Delayed Vaccination , Selective Vaccination

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page